attention cheap oil users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then there is this:

Surprising Findings from Oil Analysis of Automotive Engines
David E. Newton, Carrier Corporation/UTC

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/30383/engines-oil-analysis
Quote:
The vehicle went from a steady diet of a synthetic oil with a premium filter to a quality conventional oil with an off-the-shelf filter. The data shows that the average wear metals shifted less than a point after this change. All shifts were well within one standard deviation for each distinct metal.

Quote:
What can be surmised from these results is that there was no tangible benefit to using the high-end products for this maintenance plan and operational pattern. Conversely, the typical quality baseline products presented no additional risk of accelerated wear. ..... Significantly longer oil change intervals likely may have shown a statistical difference between the two lube/filter choices, but that was not part of the test protocol.

Take it for what it is worth......
for MOST people, buying "high end" oils is TRULY a waste of money.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Originally Posted By: 93cruiser

post regular supertech, not high mileage. And, it's the stuff not listed that counts too.

Why adjust the posts now? Firstly, the pool of analyses we have for the oils is limited- you're welcome to do a better job and present contenders of your choosing. Second, is ST Syn HM not a "cheap oil" now? We're talking about two identically qualified Dexos, SN, GF-5. One is cheaper but actually specs 'better' on paper. How does this data fit into your primary argument?? Feel free to elaborate on the "hidden components" too. Tell us all about the organic FMs, solubility improvers and ashless dispersants or whatever...

Yes ST Syn HM is cheap but the cruiser has been trolling us all!

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol

post regular supertech, not high mileage. And, it's the stuff not listed that counts too.

Why adjust the posts now? Firstly, the pool of analyses we have for the oils is limited- you're welcome to do a better job and present contenders of your choosing. Second, is ST Syn HM not a "cheap oil" now? We're talking about two identically qualified Dexos, SN, GF-5. One is cheaper but actually specs 'better' on paper. How does this data fit into your primary argument?? Feel free to elaborate on the "hidden components" too. Tell us all about the organic FMs, solubility improvers and ashless dispersants or whatever...

Adjust the post? I simply said post the same type of oil.

I will admit it looks close on paper, surprised. I don't remember the numbers being that good, but its been years, but I also never looked at a HM oil.

I can't elaborate on the additives that are not listed, don't know what or how much, but they are there. Do you really think there is nothing in the mix besides the few numbers we see?

If I am buying at full pricing I would still go mobil 1.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

(Do you show the adds and receipts to your car to convince it not to wear out ?_

Oops, I forgot to do that to my car last oil change - a couple of weeks ago.
smile.gif

Maybe I'll just tell my engine to trust me - it is getting pretty much the "best" oil out there! LOL.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Which Warren makes GII+/GIII+/GIV/GV base stocks and a broad line of additives?

No answers? Does this mean they just buy and blend and package?

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Then there is this:

Surprising Findings from Oil Analysis of Automotive Engines
David E. Newton, Carrier Corporation/UTC

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/30383/engines-oil-analysis
Quote:
The vehicle went from a steady diet of a synthetic oil with a premium filter to a quality conventional oil with an off-the-shelf filter. The data shows that the average wear metals shifted less than a point after this change. All shifts were well within one standard deviation for each distinct metal.

Quote:
What can.....

Take it for what it is worth......
for MOST people, buying "high end" oils is TRULY a waste of money.

I wouldnt call it a waste of money :eek:) ... we all spend money on stuff other people would call a waste of money.
Example, we havent paid for cable TV since around 2011 yet we get way more channels then we can possibly watch through an attic antenna for our 5 TVs plus a subscription to Netflex and Hulu plus through our 5 Roku players. But I dont say my friends and neighbors who wish to pay are wasting their money because they may think I am wasting my money on my Harley Road King.

Hopefully you see I am just kidding around here! But will say, we spend money on stuff others would think a waste what drives me crazy though, is SOME people who buy high ends products, like motor oil will tell you how superior it is with no proof what so ever, they never have proof that an engine will last longer and they cant have any proof because the oils all meet the same API, no matter the cost.
Also, now, properly designed engines far outlast the components of the vehicle and if the engine doesnt, it was poor design.

Still I have no problem if someone wishes to spend money on something that very well maybe made of higher end components if it makes one happy, just like I have no problem with people who pay a cable or satellite TV company, its amazing that I can actually show them that we have a superior picture through our antenna then that of pay TV, they never believe it, until they examine our picture.

Anyway, been there, done that, decades ago it did matter, testing proved certain oils were superior to others, even testing in consumer reports, which now even says, chose anything of the correct API.
The API standards are so tightened up and perfected that its hard to have a bad oil and that bad oil can be at any price, if there is even such a thing anymore. I was a life long Castrol user many decades ago because of those tests.

Now ... I use any conventional or semi syn with the correct API in all my vechicles and normally cost around $13.00 for a 5 quart container or the = in quarts.
Past oils lately, all conventional - Sams Club, Super Tech and lastest, just bought a years supply of Chevron.
I ALWAYS change on time or before required OCI.

Last edited:
a lot of info here ,about all I can add is a friend who owns nothing but Toyota trucks has run supertech oil since the first oil change and has had zero problems with any Toyotas, all have had at least 300k before he sold or traded. Never a oil related problem...myself I have been running supertech oil in a ford tempo ( yes there are still a few on the road ) since I bought it used with 60k ,now has 140k I used to use name brand oils all the time till the price got out of hand. Seems there are plenty of pros and cons with oil but myself I can see nothing wrong with supertech oil

Originally Posted By: FT92
a lot of info here ,about all I can add is a friend who owns nothing but Toyota trucks has run supertech oil since the first oil change and has had zero problems with any Toyotas, all have had at least 300k before he sold or traded. Never a oil related problem...myself I have been running supertech oil in a ford tempo ( yes there are still a few on the road ) since I bought it used with 60k ,now has 140k I used to use name brand oils all the time till the price got out of hand. Seems there are plenty of pros and cons with oil but myself I can see nothing wrong with supertech oil

another misunderstanding. No one said supertech would not work. And using toyotas that lst as an example is not fair, they will last on anything. The point of topic was is an oil such as supertech worth running for the minimal cost savings vs name brand. Thank you

And using toyotas that lst as an example is not fair, they will last on anything.

LOL, another data point excluded arbitrarily by you.

So which car, engine, geographical zone, driving style, and oils would you find acceptable to refute your (still baseless) claims ?

I have put 140,000 miles on my 91 buick centery. Using nothing but mobile super and valvoline high milage, i'd say it protects GOOD ENOUGH for most applications.... also now at 260,000 miles and still kicken.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 91centery
I have put 140,000 miles on my 91 buick centery. Using nothing but mobile super and valvoline high milage, i'd say it protects GOOD ENOUGH for most applications.... also now at 260,000 miles and still kicken.

Oooh, Mr. Fancy, I get my oil from 7 Eleven. It's in a plain white jug and says "Oil" in a black times new roman font.

Originally Posted By: TheLawnRanger

Oooh, Mr. Fancy, I get my oil from 7 Eleven. It's in a plain white jug and says "Oil" in a black times new roman font.

Ahhhhh... I miss the 80's!

fd698766b20d78fa88fe775546882226.jpg

Generic-Packaging-Design-Retail1.jpg

genericmotoroil-ja.gif

Bottom line: it's your/our money, to spend or to save as you/we see fit. From everything I've learned over the years, there is no benefit to my engines in using the name brand oils (regardless of what I pay for it, on sale or full price) over using SuperTech Full Syn.
Therefore, I am quite comfortable in using STFS in all my internal combustion engines, from lawn mowers to the Corvette.

Am I wrong in doing that? Of course not. Are you wrong is using only Amsoil in your engines? Of course not.
We set our own standards and live by them.

Looks good to me! I just picked up a jug of Supertech HM 0W-20 Synthetic to run in my Odyssey for its next oil change. $15.68 on Rollback. I’ll run it for 5,000 miles then probably do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back