attention cheap oil users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
Originally Posted By: dave1251
And yet the OP never posted any factual data to support claims.

My factual data was presented. You just don't understand the debate to realize that.

No, a series of generalisations with not a single fact or number is not providing data.

Not addressing the DATA when I presented actual data is not engaging in debate, and re-iterating the same old statements ad nauseum isn't debate either.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

My factual data was presented. You just don't understand the debate to realize that.

No, a series of generalisations with not a single fact or number is not providing data.

Not addressing the DATA when I presented actual data is not engaging in debate, and re-iterating the same old statements ad nauseum isn't debate either.

another who does not get it. How about my whole arguement, pricing. Pricing. Is pricing not facts? And the point of the whole debate? Wow, I am amazed at the users here that just don't get the original posting. Scary, sad, and frustrating.

New gut at work pulls in the parking lot with a 2002 RCSB Chevy in mint condition. We got to taking and turns out it has 380k on the OD. Naturally I ask him what oil he uses, when he said he just takes it to Walmart for all his oil changes for the past 9 years I almost tipped over in disbelief. I asked him what oil they were putting in it, he had no idea at that moment. He found out for me because I really wanted to know. Turns out it's Walmart Supertech synthetic and a cheepo oil filter.

How about my whole arguement, pricing. Pricing. Is pricing not facts? And the point of the whole debate?

So by your definition the only conclusion we can draw is cheaper oils cost less and more expensive oils cost more.

Very perceptive
laugh.gif

No matter how many times they're repeated, arbitrary assertions are not factual data.

another who does not get it. How about my whole arguement, pricing. Pricing. Is pricing not facts? And the point of the whole debate? Wow, I am amazed at the users here that just don't get the original posting. Scary, sad, and frustrating.

Let me explain it since you don't seem to be capable of understanding what everyone is saying.

Quote:
How about my whole arguement, pricing. Pricing.

That's because your whole "arguement" is not valid. You state that in your opinion (I seem to remember seeing words like "I think" "I feel" etc.) more expensive oils are better than "cheap" oils. But you never showed ANY proof as to why! You never said oil x which cost XXXX has better ___________(fill in the blank) than the cheap oil (Oil y). You were even given links to the specs of various oils, but of course you ignore them because they don't fit your agenda.

Even a link to a study where it was shown that cheaper oils were inferior and would result in lower engine life than the more expensive brands. It's such an incredibly simple concept. But as others have said, repeating the same opinion over and over does NOT equal fact!

What I find "amazing . . . Scary, sad, and frustrating" is that you can't seem to differentiate between opinion and fact.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HammerHead0313
New gut at work pulls in the parking lot with a 2002 RCSB Chevy in mint condition. We got to taking and turns out it has 380k on the OD. Naturally I ask him what oil he uses, when he said he just takes it to Walmart for all his oil changes for the past 9 years I almost tipped over in disbelief. I asked him what oil they were putting in it, he had no idea at that moment. He found out for me because I really wanted to know. Turns out it's Walmart Supertech synthetic and a cheepo oil filter.

Vehicle has something to do with that since a Chevy 1500 in our family went that far on Mobil dino …
I’m seldom putting the same oil in my GMC … sale/clearance oils keep it happy … 30 or 40 too …

Originally Posted By: 4WD

Vehicle has something to do with that since a Chevy 1500 in our family went that far on Mobil dino …
I’m seldom putting the same oil in my GMC … sale/clearance oils keep it happy … 30 or 40 too …

But you would feel so much better if you were spending the big bucks like number 93 and getting the same results!
49.gif

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc...buffets/384033/

Quote:
New research shows that paying that much for a buffet might actually make the food taste better. Three researchers did an all you can eat (AYCE) buffet field experiment to test whether the cost of an AYCE buffet affected how much diners enjoyed it. They conducted their research at an Italian AYCE buffet in New York, and over the course of two weeks 139 participants were either offered a flier for $8 buffet or a $4 buffet (both had the same food). Those who paid $8 rated the pizza 11 percent tastier than those who paid $4. Moreover, the latter group suffered from greater diminishing returns—each additional slice of pizza tasted worse than that of the $8 group.

If paying more means that exactly the same food tastes better...and that's an actual user experience, then of course paying more for your oil makes one think that they are getting abetter outcome.

We rationalise it...why would we pay more for the same or less, and we aren't idiots, so of course paying more is better value.

I wanted to get rid of an old book case so I put it at the curb with a sign that said "FREE." It sat there for a week, so I put a sign on it that said "$20" and it was stolen that very night.

It's just human nature to see value in something based on its labeled "price." But price does not equal value... in my mind, value is defined by high quality at a reasonable (i.e. relatively low) price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: 4WD

But you would feel so much better if you were spending the big bucks like number 93 and getting the same results!
49.gif

I feel like I’m doing both … have found some well respected lubes in the clearance aisle … it helps having most out of warranty and willing to use more ranges in viscosity …

Here is a comparison of SuperTech HM Syn 0W-20 ($15.XX right now at Walmart) with a few of the big hitters. I used the most recent tests i could find.

Thank you to Pertroleum Quality Institute of America for the images borrowed from their website.
http://www.pqiamerica.com/

Nice. Without seeing the brands, I would had picked Mobil.

However, for warranty purposes, I service my Honda at the Honda dealer with Honda branded oil. If I were to own a Walmart car, I would be definitely considering Supertech.
laugh.gif

Jut kidding folks.

And now seriously. Which automotive products (other than allegedly Supertech) sold at Walmart beat their competitors in quality? Like tires, batteries etc?

just a general post-i see some new posts to me, but no longer responding to people who twist my words or not get the underlying debate of price vs product. enjoy everyone.

How can it be frustrating since you have not presented a single fact for your agrument?

Does it help if you buy the Supertech, and drop $10 in the donation box ?

That way you've probably spent enough on that oil change to be good enough ?

Well … out of those posted all but one shows labeled: Dexos
… I understand several ST lubes have Dexos … but I’m not seeing it on this version (without it, I will not use it) …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back