Are you happy?

Am I unhappy? Absolutely with a lot of things in my life and the world in general.

I will echo something's from @supton who for some reason I feel like I get, maybe it's my years at TDIclub.com just seeing him as a familiar user.

It is definitely this 40's mess.

One teen just about to start her last 4 years of pure child bliss, the other still a bit off from that cliff. That innocence now as a 39 year old I yearn a bit for, no finances, no payments, no money this or deadline that. That middle life crisis where it seems you are 5 secs from ruin which as a teen didn't give you any pause but now, now you HAVE to be the responsible adult. You HAVE to meet that deadline, you HAVE to be there, you HAVE to provide for your family.

I force myself to take time out for myself and hang out with my older albeit, more free friends(divorce/older kids) but it's mostly just regurgitating around a bar. I know my wife disapproves but I've come to the "I don't care" conclusion. I come home every night and it never landed me in any trouble however it's a crutch I need stop using especially with the "money" aspect.

I get depressed about our house(should be bigger), finances(more money not less), and just life in general like I should have and could have done more. The hindsight is 20/20 argument. Honestly though, it could be way worse. My daughter's have it 1000% better than I ever did as a kid and that should be enough...It is enough. That's my goal, to make sure they are well adjusted and responsible adults when I turn to ash. It's not easy but it's the best job to have.

I got lucky where I make near 6 figures but needed no education to do so, just time & loyalty. It's been 20 years at my current & only permanent job outside retail. It really is all about luck. I drive them to sports out of state and big vacations, that never happened to me as a kid. I was never "good" enough at sports and vacations like other kids had NEVER happened.

What I am really happy about though is my daughter's overcome of her eating disorder and sticking with XC(Cross Country Running). She is such a strong person who doesn't even know how much potential she has. She has a bit of my OCD and a lot of her Mom's anxiety and even with all that genetic playdough still is pushing forward. She is a beacon of light in my otherwise overcast day. Knowing you were never the popular kid(actually bullied more) in school but seeing your own child excelling in that social setting and being that "kid", man it sends me over the moon.

One thing that still digs and naws at my very soul is losing my Aunt who was basically my Mom after 2003. My birth Mother fled my Father after meeting someone online and claiming his money issues were the reason she left. This is not unfounded, the man is horrible with money but after 23 yrs I'd argue that's not the only reason but she swears it is. My Aunt, was there for both my daughters from birth till her death in 2019 from cancer. She was the grandmother they deserved, not my idiot birth mother. She was my rock, always there, telling me I screwed up and praising me when I didn't. Such a hole left in me when she died but I healed that by knowing I took care of her mother(my grandmother) where others wouldn't or couldn't. Not easy to expect the grandson to take care of his aging grandmother but I did even with her other children alive and well, it was a privilege in my eyes but a lot of stress from 2019-2021 and even more financially having to again pay for part of her funeral.

After all of this I take solace in the fact that I am still here and in decent health otherwise so life is not perfect but it can be far worse. I just take it one day at a time now and try to find small joy in things. Your day doesn't have be 100% happy or great but if it's 75% it's still better than the majority and that is something to be thankful & happy about.

Last edited:
As long as I am on this side of the dirt with all my body parts and half a brain I was born with I am happy. Not as crazy as it sounds three times in my life I have had to be put in a coma, two were for mc accident where I was taken out by drunk drivers and the third by previously undiagnosed eosinophilic asthma, that time they gave me less than 50% chance of making it, in the hospital for a month and many months of out patient rehab to learn to walk again.
In the last 1.5 years they found a medicine that works and turned my health around so I have a lot to be thankful for.

As long as I am on this side of the dirt with all my body parts and half a brain I was born with I am happy. Not as crazy as it sounds three times in my life I have had to be put in a coma, two were for mc accident where I was taken out by drunk drivers and the third by previously undiagnosed eosinophilic asthma, that time they gave me less than 50% chance of making it, in the hospital for a month and many months of out patient rehab to learn to walk again.
In the last 1.5 years they found a medicine that works and turned my health around so I have a lot to be thankful for.
God bless you @Trav 🙏

I have been struggling myself but when I wake up I look forward to what tools and what food @AutoMechanic will eat -buy today....
Life just doesn't get any better than this. Honestly I am now thinking about assisted suicide.....🤔😆😆

For those who are struggling here, man up, drop the "John Wayne syndrome", and find a good counselor to teach you cognitive skills and maybe later mindfulness (with or without the meditation part). Google search cognitive therapy and mindfulness -it's right up most people's alley. You cannot think your way out of lifelong influences on your own. No "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" by "willing" it away. It just doesn't work.

So many men are burdened with the idea that they always have to put an on air of invincibility. My dad went to his grave a miserable man because he never confronted his enemy (himself).

For those who are struggling here, man up, drop the "John Wayne syndrome", and find a good counselor to teach you cognitive skills and maybe later mindfulness (with or without the meditation part). Google search cognitive therapy and mindfulness -it's right up most people's alley. You cannot think your way out of lifelong influences on your own. No "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" by "willing" it away. It just doesn't work.

So many men are burdened with the idea that they always have to put an on air of invincibility. My dad went to his grave a miserable man because he never confronted his enemy (himself).
Sure bud. "Just man up."

I don't even know where to begin, but what a load of nonsense.

So, I know that’s a big complicated question and there’s always something in life that isn’t going right.

But overall, if you put everything in consideration, are you happy? With yourself? Your relationship(s), work, home, car?

Personally, no, I’m miserable and hate almost every aspect of my life. Not all of it - I have a great, supportive, loving partner and a few wonderful members of my family and that’s what keeps me going. But I’m just curious to hear how others are doing in these times!

Self- I have gained some weight, I mean, I still have great lifts for a non-pro/competitor, and abs, but I'm just soft, so I won't say I'm unhappy, but I have work to do and am doing it. (I think this week I hit 225x10,315x8,375x6 on back squat and last week 225x10x3 sets on flat bench, for example. I am not winning any competitions, but that's not trash by any stretch for a late 30's guy with a full time job).

Relationship(s)-I have amazing life friends. Amazing. Flat out the best. My romantic relationship has gotten complicated, but we are still positive toward each other and working through things. If things don't work, I'll be fine. I am not co-dependent in any way.

Work-It's work. They literally have to bribe me with money to do it.

Home-I love my house and property.

Car-I enjoy my car.

Solutions to things that don't make me happy?

-Do better and fix it. I know noone likes to hear that, but that's really just the secret to it. Everything else is just "varying levels of acceptance". I've talked people out of suicide before. Had the gun in their hands. You know what really saved them? Really? Aside from that, in the moment? Fixing their ****. They got their lives together and are doing amazing now, and they've not found the bottom of the bottle or the pistol in their hands again. They are genuinely happy, because they are doing amazing. Now, some people do need help. They have a true disorder. I am not belittling or negating that in the least, and it needs proper addressing. However, if the reason you are depressed and upset is situational...you have your answer. Fix your situation.

Yes the medication is working well.

In all seriousness I’m the happiest I’ve ever been. Single and early retired. Now just doing the odd side job I enjoy and spending time with family/friends/pets. A big help was cutting ”the news“ out of my life. Many things I learn about months after they happen and it turns out I didn’t need to know to begin with. I also removed people on social media who are obsessed with posting about the latest terrible thing happening in the world. I don’t give a fig.

Yes the medication is working well.

In all seriousness I’m the happiest I’ve ever been. Single and early retired. Now just doing the odd side job I enjoy and spending time with family/friends/pets. A big help was cutting ”the news“ out of my life. Many things I learn about months after they happen and it turns out I didn’t need to know to begin with. I also removed people on social media who are obsessed with posting about the latest terrible thing happening in the world. I don’t give a fig.

Glad to hear medication is helping you. I stopped taking mine for a while but got back into the habit of taking it and it does help. Between medication and weekly appointments with a counselor/therapist/whatever you want to call it, I am doing OK myself despite some situational bad stuff (recently ended my relationship, work has been rough, etc).

Hear you on cutting out some of the news. It's nice to know what's going on but not every little thing all over the world. Plenty of positive things happening but you don't hear about them.

I'm not happy at all. I wish I was never born. I've got marital problems, financial problems, I hate my current job, I have health problems, and none of this helps. I really feel like I have no one in life to turn to. But it is what it is.
I was a cop for many years and we just had to man up and get over ****. I saw death and just horrible **** to the point where I have no feelings when I see that anymore. I seriously lack any empathy for anyone. I just cannot feel anything.

Edited to add that I don't even remember being happy as a kid, not much anyhow. It's not like I even had a bad childhood I just was never happy.

I'm not happy at all. I wish I was never born. I've got marital problems, financial problems, I hate my current job, I have health problems, and none of this helps. I really feel like I have no one in life to turn to. But it is what it is.
I was a cop for many years and we just had to man up and get over ****. I saw death and just horrible **** to the point where I have no feelings when I see that anymore. I seriously lack any empathy for anyone. I just cannot feel anything.

Edited to add that I don't even remember being happy as a kid, not much anyhow. It's not like I even had a bad childhood I just was never happy.
My advice is to find something you're passionate about. Maybe bug collection. Maybe watches. Whatever, but pick a thing.

Dunno if you're into physical stuff or not, but I found BJJ is what gave me a bit of socialization. I hate leaving my house, and I hate dealing with people unless I'm being paid for it. BJJ introduced me to successful, motivated people who aren't trash. It is one of the few things that makes me smile that involves another person. I'd suggest it, maybe.

So, I know that’s a big complicated question and there’s always something in life that isn’t going right.

But overall, if you put everything in consideration, are you happy? With yourself? Your relationship(s), work, home, car?

Personally, no, I’m miserable and hate almost every aspect of my life. Not all of it - I have a great, supportive, loving partner and a few wonderful members of my family and that’s what keeps me going. But I’m just curious to hear how others are doing in these times!

Happy? my job is livable and pays well enough, I dont have to do corporate meetings, I work mainly alone, and run my own schedule.

That right there, is a big reason to be Happy or Not. Your JOB

Where I live is okay, but yeah I rather be on 1000 acres on a hill top, with Posted fencing around the property. Id also rather be retired or atleast work a couple days per week.

I ride motorcycles, and you never a see a motorcycle parked in front of a Psychiatrist office, holds very true, but not all people are Motorcycle riders, even though they might like to be, I like action in my riding, the dual dual sported offroad race bikes I like best.

Mowing the yard sux, but the SEX is good, I dont drink(havent for over 10 years).

Im quite Happy having no kids in the House, just me and the Wife.

my goals, are relocate and retire when able. Fix what I can myself verses hiring it out, when I can.

Id only be happier, if I won a $1,000,000Lottery, I guess is the final word.

Last edited:
In my mid-late 20's I became disenfranchised and realized that I had limitations which I could not overcome. I pulled my application to OCS (USN) and was resigned to the fact that I had mediocre life ahead of me. That was over 20 yrs ago.

Edit: I refused to sacrifice my health so I guess I'm happy about that.

Day-to-day I'm happy, with a lot to be thankful for. I have a great family and great friends I enjoy spending time with. I'm financially stable, have a job I enjoy, hobbies I enjoy, and so far have managed to stay above ground. My father in particular has been a great influence on me, and really pushed me to be successful and to be an ethical person.

It is hard to remain positive though. At 32 I've lived through 2 recessions, a pandemic, and several other "once in 100 year events" that somehow seem to be getting more common. Not to mention the crazy housing, vehicle, and job markets, a good percentage of women my age being "undatable", and my grand parents and parents are starting to get older and have health issues. I wouldn't say my overall outlook on life is negative, or that any of my goals have changed.

I think my only advice for those who are struggling is that life can be over in an instant. I've lost quite a few friends and family over the years way too soon, and way too young. Working out and finding ways to get rid of stress through hobbies and spending time with good people are crucial to a happy life IMO. Things can always be worse, way worse.

Sure bud. "Just man up."

I don't even know where to begin, but what a load of nonsense.
Please explain why you think this is a load of nonsense.

By "man up", I meant just the opposite. I actually dislike that term. I meant "man up" in the sense of let go of the false John Wayne persona that so many men I know try to maintain. My father-in-law was one of them. It was so obvious that he was masking a poor ego. My granddaughter made me laugh a few weeks ago when she pointed out a "Kevin" driving a bro truck. I asked "what's a Kevin"? She replied "you know, those guys with small weiners that need to compensate in other ways". Just a stereotype, of course, but funny coming from a teen.

Maybe its just my perceptions as a baby boomer. I grew up in a setting where men didn't do dishes, change diapers, vacuum, etc.. Thank goodness this is changed for today's young men. Maybe your circle of men acquaintances are better adjusted. Just sharing m perspective.

Last edited:
Back