Are you happy?

The Golden Gate Bridge was closed from about 09:00 to 11:00 today. An unhappy person was near the netting.
I can't imagine how someone can get that depressed to make that jump. I know many do every year. I remember when Tony Scott, (famous director of "Top Gun"), killed himself by jumping off the Vincent Thomas Bridge in San Pedro.

Witnesses said he stopped his car, got out, ran to the railing, climbed over and jumped. All in a matter of seconds. No hesitation at all. Scary stuff.

I can't imagine how someone can get that depressed to make that jump. I know many do every year. I remember when Tony Scott, (famous director of "Top Gun"), killed himself by jumping off the Vincent Thomas Bridge in San Pedro.

Witnesses said he stopped his car, got out, ran to the railing, climbed over and jumped. All in a matter of seconds. No hesitation at all. Scary stuff.
Tony Scott had found out that he had inoperable brain cancer although there are also conspiracy theories. someone has to be in a very dark place without seeing any way out to take the proverbial final step.

Tony Scott had found out that he had inoperable brain cancer although there are also conspiracy theories. someone has to be in a very dark place without seeing any way out to take the proverbial final step.
I had read that as well. Assuming it's true, I've known 2 people in my life who died from brain cancer. And in the final stages in most cases, it becomes an all but painless death. Because the cancer destroys the part of the brain that processes pain.

That makes it even harder to digest why anyone would choose hitting water at terminal velocity, as opposed to just slipping away. To say nothing about how devastating it was for his wife and kids.

I
I had read that as well. Assuming it's true, I've known 2 people in my life who died from brain cancer. And in the final stages in most cases, it becomes an all but painless death. Because the cancer destroys the part of the brain that processes pain.

That makes it even harder to digest why anyone would choose hitting water at terminal velocity, as opposed to just slipping away. To say nothing about how devastating it was for his wife and kids.
I also have known two people who died from aggressive forms of ganglioneuroblastoma. Both lost their memories, and their ability to speak and hear, and they failed to recognize even close family members many months before they died. They suffered horribly while in a constant mental and physical decline and died as empty shells of their former existence way past what should have been their expiration date. That also puts things into perspective. As mere observers, we can't know the full horror of experiencing something like this ourselves. Necessarily our empathy fails and all we can offer is sympathy.

I have also heard, (and to a degree seen), that brain cancer is one of the fastest spreading forms of cancer. Something about cancer cells feeding off the fatty brain cells at a furious rate. The 2 people I knew went incredibly quickly. Not like dementia or alzheimer's, that can take years to claim their victims.

I have also heard, (and to a degree seen), that brain cancer is one of the fastest spreading forms of cancer. Something about cancer cells feeding off the fatty brain cells at a furious rate. The 2 people I knew went incredibly quickly. Not like dementia or alzheimer's, that can take years to claim their victims.
With aggressive treatment, many patients will make it over a year past diagnosis. With less aggressive forms of brain cancer patients may hang in there for a few years. One of the two people I knew kept working for half a year after her diagnosis. During that time she underwent surgery and radiation therapy. First, she started losing control over her hands, her speech got slurred, aphasia developed and she spoke mostly gibberish. While she recognized me for a couple of months she didn't know my name. She was a nice lady who had been doing my laundry for many years. The last time I saw her was four months before her death and she was no longer the person she used to be. But I think we have veered far off the topic of this thread and while it may put things in perspective, we probably should not discuss this further.

Honestly I’ve been diagnosed with depression and taken about two dozen different meds and have weekly appointments with someone to talk to and the world still sucks lol.

I will say it’s nice to read others comments. Lots of different perspectives.
I agree. A lot about today's world sucks and it feels like there is little to nothing we can do about it. At least know there are people miles away - here - most of us have never / will never meet , yet many understand where you coming from. Lots who have the ability to care. I had to be taught by a friend a while back to stop concentrating on the bad (quit watching so much news / stop the 24 hrs a day worry and feelings of defeat over medical issues etc...) and to try to think often on anything I have to be thankful about. It feels like it is working but it takes a long time for some of us. It is still a work in progress for me. Maybe some of the comments from the HAPPY on this thread will help some of us realize good things we have taken for granted and forget to be thankful about over time? There is a wildly / funny film I like with Bill Murray and Richard Dreyfuss about chosing to be HAPPY or SAD I get a kick out of titled "What About Bob?" Wife doesn't care for it but will watch with me cause she sees how it makes me laugh, improves my moods. Happy?

Last edited:
Interesting question in a forum like this. AnyWho, when I think back of my youth and how I took everything for granted, I didn’t realize just how much fun I was having, until I didn’t have it anymore. I should be happy, but with age, comes a new set of challenges. Sure, I look good on paper, and when I’m out, nobody can tell whether I’m too focused or just a grumpy old man. 🫤
Wife and I have conversations at times very similar to what you speak of. The end of the fun! :cry: Certain kinds like staying out till dawn etc... Glad we had the kids while we were still very young as it helped to keep us mentally young. We were still young enough to have the energy and desire to take them to do all sorts of things they liked to do.

So, I know that’s a big complicated question and there’s always something in life that isn’t going right.

But overall, if you put everything in consideration, are you happy? With yourself? Your relationship(s), work, home, car?

Personally, no, I’m miserable and hate almost every aspect of my life. Not all of it - I have a great, supportive, loving partner and a few wonderful members of my family and that’s what keeps me going. But I’m just curious to hear how others are doing in these times!

Last edited:
I think this is a huge part of my unhappiness. 99% of the time, I'm stuck in a situation or having to do something I hate, with little prospect for that to change.
A lot of that type of stuff stopped once I retired. But even before that , if I got stuck feeling that way, I was always lucky enough to be able to change things. Stuff like my work schedules. Even was able to put in for and land different job positions. If I started feeling bored or did not care for the boss man or the job I had , which happened every so often , I was lucky enough to move to something else that I enjoyed doing at work. Unfortunately lots of people do not have those opportunities to move around on the job and then feel stuck. I am sure that can be tough.

For the most part I’d say so. I really like my job too.

But some things that stress me out is the health of a few family members not doing so well.

Also being completely priced out of owning a home in this housing market.

How would one know happiness if they never experienced sorrow?

I’ve never been one to dwell on negative things that happened to me. I move forward rather quickly and focus on positive things. I always tell myself and now my wife and kids, “be happy for what you have, there are lots of people that have it much worse than you.”

Honestly I’ve been diagnosed with depression and taken about two dozen different meds and have weekly appointments with someone to talk to and the world still sucks lol.

I will say it’s nice to read others comments. Lots of different perspectives.
Good for you. It won't always be like this. Think OUTSIDE THE BOX. I don't have a clear answer of what it is but you will know it when you see it!

Most days I would say so. Other days not.
Contentation is a state of the mind and happiness is a usually temporary emotion just the same as sadness and unhappiness. It's a whole package deal. Being constantly happy is as clinical as being constantly sad. It depends of course on how nuanced you use the term 'happy.' I know a guy who appears always exuberantly happy. He is also clearly completely nuts.

Contentation is a state of the mind and happiness is a usually temporary emotion just the same as sadness and unhappiness. It's a whole package deal. Being constantly happy is as clinical as being constantly sad. It depends of course on how nuanced you use the term 'happy.' I know a guy who appears always exuberantly happy. He is also clearly completely nuts.
i was waiting to read all the posts until the last one and write the same things you wrote .said it all..

happines is not a permament state..sorry for my english..happiness is small moments in life. first kiss, first love, first time driving, a good movie night out with friends, getting material things that matter to you, feeling good emotions ,a nice live music concert, a barbecue with your friends or family, so on..

they say that a happy person is someone who looks behind his past and doesn't feel empty..there isn't one of us that doesn't feel this way, because you can't do all you wanted in one life..i could have made more things ,i know..

but my real problem looiking back is that i want to live it again and that's the only thing that saddens me because i lived my teens on '80s the best decade ever..i wish that feeling of the '80s was still alive! things these days are so complicated including cars which is what we are here for.

to conclude, if someone has created good memories then he is happy..happiness is creating good memories and experiences.

I've found a lot of success in my life. I finally have a decent house with a not terrible mortgage. Good friends, hobbies. Own multiple vehicles with no payment. Objectively, I have everything I need.

Except for my career. I consider myself a failure there. I'm 35 and still essentially in an entry level position. There's a lot going on with that whole thing. But It's been made clear to me that I'll never receive a promotion or significant bump in pay where I am currently. Regardless of how many times I step in and how much work above my pay grade I take on.

Back