Are teenagers allergic to oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have todays teens and youth suddenly become so cyber smart that they are now real-world retards?
dunno.gif

I helped a freind find cheap cars for his teen age kids;- I reminded those kids many times AND showed them how to check the fluids in their rigs. Told them the consequences of running out of oil, coolant, brake fluid...etc.
nono.gif

Sooo... What does each teen not do?
rolleyes.gif
They never ever under any circumstance check the oil or fluids. They are totally allergic to the hood latch or something.
Each car was run out of oil; with the predictible results. They were "knock, knock, knocking on heaven's door"
crushedcar.gif

One was a BMW 320i, a nice Toyota Corolla, Toyota Tercel and a fully restored 1961 Studebaker Lark bought for a song; because the Lady trusted the car was going to a "good familiy" and was going to be in "good hands."> The teen girl drove it all spring and summer with never lifting the hood; I checked the oil and it was 4 quarts low in a 5 quart system. (The oil light sender was bad.)
pat.gif

Do ever want to strangle another person's kids?
mad.gif

The only car that wasn't destroyed yet is the Tercel; but it has been run out of oil several times. (the tercel cost $50.)
The teens didn't learn from each other's mistakes; nor have changed their ways. (And these are honor students!)
dunno.gif

One notable wise quote from one of these pimple sqeezers.
"As long as it is running; I figure everything is Okay!"
lol.gif

To me it's pretty obvious that stupidity and laziness on their part results in someone taking care of the problem(not them). And this is no reflection on your friend 'cause I don't know the situation. But many parents are totally incaple of running their own life let alone raise, instruct, disciplin, and nurture their off spring. Parenting requires nothing more than a healthy sperm and egg
frown.gif

I hate to admit this but I was just like one of those teenagers. my dad bought me a brand new ford ranger when I was 17. I'm 26 now. I totalled the truck three years later and I know for sure I was driving with the tranny fluid leaking. he wouldn't buy me another vehicle since. I've bought two vehicles since then, when I had to pay with money on my own this is what got me interested in checking fluids etc. when you spend $2k on a ten year old corolla. $2k is alot of cash for a 20 yr old making 6 bucks an hour at walmart. makes you want to make the car last along time. the parents of those kids should stop spoiling their kids. if the car blows up because of negligence, the parents should make them pay for their own car. that will wise them up pretty fast.
grin.gif

I have always changed my own oil. Well, I cheated a few times and went to Iffy Lube when the weather was bad in the winter. My first truck got it's oil changed every 2000 miles. I used to buy oil in 5 gallon CANS. Yes, CANS. Then I had a bunch of nice 5 gallon gas cans! Much nicer than the plastic, leaky crap you have to buy these days. Anyone remember the old 2 gallon oil cans?

I still have the can opener in my tool box to remind me of the old days.

When I was 17, my dad taught me everything he knew about car maintenance. It wasn't much, just oil, spark plugs, and ignition points. Very quickly I took over car maintenance for the family. Everyone was amazed with how quickly I picked up on automotive repair. For Christmas my dad would always buy me tools, Chilton repair manuals, pretty much anything I desired in car repair. Smart guy -- he knew the dividends these presents would pay!

There was a funny scene in the cartoon,"King of the Hill". Hank hill was having problems with his son acting like a typical weird adolescent so he hands his son a carburetor and says,"now dissasemble and reassemble until normal". Not that I could really call my self normal.

There are lots of reasons for teens not checking oil, but the big one is that they're still fuzzy on consequences and cause/effect. I am adamantly opposed to minor teens driving because of their reckless behavior and negligence behind the wheel anyway; in a heartbeat I would raise the driving age to 18 to match those in most other industrial countries. I am also adamantly opposed to parents buying cars for their kids. Around much of the country it seems to be a rite of passage upon turning 16. When you expect Mom and Dad to buy you a vehicle, you also subconsciously expect them to take care of the rest of it for you, including insurance, maintenance, etc.

One colleague at work tells me that his 15-year-old daughter is already telling friends about the expensive new SUV her dad is "going" to buy her once she has her license. Lotsa luck, he says! But this entitlement mentality is all too common among teens.

I had to ride the big yellow cheese box to school through my senior year and had to pay my way when it was time to get a car and drive to work. Needless to say, I take care of my vehicles and do much of the work myself. My brother was essentially given a car (long story), and he proceeded to tear it up. (His grades suffered after he got the car, too. Typical teen.) He learned his lessons on caring for vehicles later.

[ November 12, 2003, 11:17 AM: Message edited by: ekrampitzjr ]

Growing up on a farm where we did almost all our own work I guess I never thought about learning to change oil. Until I was 30 I thought almost any American male could do it. Even my mother can do simple maintenance items on a car. My wife has helped me rebuild outboard engines. Both my sons had to learn to do what I thought was routine items such as brake jobs, universal joints and the like. I guess my family hated to pay for what we could do as well if not better ourselves. You can betcha if I have grandsons they will do the same if I have any say. And I think I will. Gotta have grandsons first........ May have to start on the granddaughter. She is 3 months old......

I'll admit this, my girlfriend (cute speech therapist) in college showed me how to change oil in the parking lot. She did it on her car for $10 (filter/oil) and I was amazed how easy it was, although cold in NH. She actually change 3 of 4 spark plugs too on her car, stupid GM design made last one impossible to get. Anyway that was my first taste of oil changes and thereafter I sometimes do it on my own. I started checking it thereafter too, fortunately to this day I have never had an oil burner even the 200k mile+ cars I have owned.

I'm with you there. So many kids feel that they are entitled to a car. Wether I have the money to or not, my kids will not be receiving a car from me. That is unless it is a complete and total junk that they must restore. Even then, I will expect installments on the purchase. Like my parents did for me. And like my parents, my cars will be off limits to the kids. So if they treat their cars like beaters, well too bad if something breaks. Back to the bus.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ryansride2017:
Patman,

Good pictures. My son is the same but he always "suds up" the car AFTER I already have it cleaned!

Hehe, funny you should say that, because my son was doing the exact same thing there! You'll notice the car is already cleaned and dried off in that picture, and THEN he decides to get in and clean it again!
smile.gif

cool.gif
Like anybody else, some kids are car nuts and some aren't. My dad wasn't a fanatic like me but he took care of the cars okay. Some folks just have to learn an expensive lesson paid for with their own money, that's all. Happened on a year-and-a-half old Cutlass when I worked at an Olds dealer.

quote:

Originally posted by tweeker43:
-*-* my dad made it clear that certain tasks were required to drive his truck; -*-*-*

Yup... Got away with it 1 time, the FIRST time was the freebee.
You gotta bring it back exactly like you took it or better than you found it. You drive it, you fuel it, etc...

Originally posted by ekrampitzjr:
I am also adamantly opposed to parents buying cars for their kids.

Ditto ditto Ditto !!!
Now I also would say there are those 1 in a million that do have a good head on their shoulder and they - being the exception to the rule should be given the chance if the parents can afford it, IMHO.

That aside. I got my first car free (almost) by default.
"Dad" was gonna "Check it out" for me, and he got one from his "friend" and the "friend" stiffed him by telling lies about the car and since my Dad was trusting of a long time friend and CO-worker (and preacher) he bought it without a good check-out. I was to repay with a weekly payment.

Turned out it was a DOG. Everything was broken and it would not make a tank of gas without another problem.... anyhow ALL my money went into keeping it going and my Dad saw this and just forgave the loan because he felt guilty for not checking it out for me....
Anyway after the car lost ALL brakes on the FREEWAY exit ramp, and my near death, and several more CHANCE encounters, I sold the car, and got stiffed doing so.... (by a COP) another story.

I have changed oil in my family's cars since I was 12 or 13. It was my uncle who showed me the right and safe way to maintain cars. I always had older GM cars in like new condition. I was extremely thankful that I had the opportunity to work at my uncle's business and learn in terms of my hard work, just how much repairs cost. And I sure didn't have money to blow on expensive late model cars at a young age.
I came to college in the early '80s on a limited budget, but always found a few bucks to change the oil in my car every 2500-3000 miles. I was suprised how many other students didn't have a clue about cars. I showed my friends how to do basic maintenance many times and pointed out trouble areas in their cars.
I had a friend who was always broke, but interested in getting in some kind of oil change. He used MY used Trop-Artic 10-40 and AC oil filter every time I changed it! Yes, really. His engine lasted several years after college, It developed an oil leak at about 160K and he traded it in. He still jokes about using my old oil for 4 years and not having problems.

you need to change oil? where? how? why?

thats my boyfriend!

i have been the machanic of the family since i was 12 or 13. i am 17 now and still am. i have done a few rebuilds in the garage and much more. right now i am in the process of building a SB 351W to put in my 1983 'stang.

My wife used to work at a bank and one of her co-worker's engine was making a clanking noise. They asked have you ever checked the oil? And she said check the oil?
shocked.gif

Never knew to check or get the oil changed.
twak.gif

Thank goodness my wife knows to check that stuff!
cheers.gif

I'm 17 and I change my own oil, wash, and wax my car. I don't know how to do the complicated things like changing brake fluid and engine coolant but I do my best to keep my car in good shape. Of course there are plenty of people at school that probably don't know anything about oil changes and stuff like that. All they know is race the other car with the **** can and the altezzas. I'm not stereotyping all teenagers but a lot are like that. I don't agree with the statement about parents not helping their kids with their cars though. I mean make them pay for part of it but its a pretty big burden to have to pay for a car, insurance, and go to school and be able to make the grades. I pay for part of my car but my dad paid most of the down payment and adds an additional $100 to my payment each month to get the car paid off faster and he pays for the $1300 per 6 months insurance premium just for me alone. Oh yeah we're not rich either. And I'm not spoiled rotten like some of my friends are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back