Another new car (Toyota Highlander) owner seeking the: "Best Oil"

Vavoline 5w30 with an OEM Filter. I'd do 5k OCI, but I don't mind changing the oil on my Tacoma. As long as you don't live where cold weather is an issue 5w30 should be fine.

They do. But they don’t have a vested interest in getting your car to 300k+ miles.
Except for brand recognition which is a very important attribute for any automaker. If you don't think it matters go to California and see the multitude of Toyota vehicles that have 400+K miles and see how that influences buying habits.

I would use the Toyota 0w-20 and a Toyota filter. Max OCI 5K or 6 months. IF you are only driving short 5-10 mile trips, I'd drop OCI
to 3K. Get enough oil for two OCI's and buy a box of filters for a better price.
This advice only applies to you if you want to keep your Highlander over 200K miles.

I would use the Toyota 0w-20 and a Toyota filter. Max OCI 5K or 6 months. IF you are only driving short 5-10 mile trips, I'd drop OCI
to 3K. Get enough oil for two OCI's and buy a box of filters for a better price.
This advice only applies to you if you want to keep your Highlander over 200K miles.
It's a 2022, not a 1922.

Why would advice here be better than what you find in the owner’s manual?

Which says, what exactly?
All I found in Manuel was it said 0w-20.
I had 2 surgeries, bed ridden for 3 months & hip surgery to go, so I may missed.it. I sorry.

We just purchased a '22 Toyota Highlander FWD w/V6. I've been searching & reading up on oil recommendations. My previous experience is mostly conventional oil & flat tappet camshafts. I was surprised to see thin 0W-20 oil recommended. I've been running Valvoline VR1 20W-50 & Delo 400 with Fleetguard/Wix/Napa Gold filters in my previous vehicles. Just noticed that Wix filters are manufactured in China now.

Should I stay with Valvoline brand? I see many Highlander owners discussing the use of 5W-30. We keep our vehicles for a long time. I'm interested in the best engine wear protection available. I'm located at 5K elevation with temperatures ranging from down into the teens & up into the 100+ range. Dry & dusty environment.

Seeking advice/recommendations on brand/type of oil, viscosity, high quality filters & service intervals.

Thank you.
Does your 22 have 4 cyl. W/ Turbro?

I ran 0W-20 Mobil1 EX in my wifes 2012 V6 Highlander for it's 1st 100,000 miles. I change it myself and use 10k as the interval. If any was added between changes it was VERY little. At 100,000 miles I swapped to 5w-20 Mobil1 EX and kept with the 10,000 interval....and then Covid hit. At that point the wife switched to working at home and her driving went to practically nothing. The last change was at the 2 year mark (2200 miles) versus miles. Currently the car has 136,000 miles and has been completely trouble free except routine maintenance. (knock wood)

Last edited:
I just go 5k in my wife's 18 Highlander. The Toyota oil, TGM, is fine for the free changes. Now I use regular M1 0w20 that I buy on sale at Costco. I use Toyota filters, a cartridge type. For purposes of disclosure, I own Costco stock. HA.

How much moly does that have?

i asked Dave about the the 5W-30 no vii. and the 10W-30 NO VII and he told me it has 800ppm in a DM

passenger and the ck4 have 625ppm

Attachments

• PCMO HPL .jpg
    PCMO HPL .jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 16
  • hplCK4moly.jpg
    hplCK4moly.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 15
Back