Amsoil SSO 18,200 miles 1 year 08 Acura TL 3.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FZ1
Well,at least,a few of us were able to correctly conclude that 2 oil and filter changes per year were better than 1 oil and filter change per year.

Better in what way?

A taxi is started in the morning and probably runs all day long. It is not seeing soccer mom use as I stated in my example, different animal.

Back the question I asked. Quote: Lets take this example, 2 identical cars, identical in every way, including use, making identical trips. One person uses SSO and changes the oil once a year, car driven 15 miles during the morning taking half an hour to get to work, home trip 15 miles 90 minutes. Then another 100 miles of soccer mom use during the week and weekends. First car sees SSO changed once a year, with an Amsoil filter, second car uses M1, or PP with a Mobil 1 filter changed every 6 months. Which car would you buy?

If I were buying a car and looking at someone's car who kept a log, I'd rather buy the car with the two OCI's. during that year. I think anyone who knows how to buy a used car would agree. Both cars saw synthetic oil.

Yeah but how many posts are there that start with I bought this used car and the motor is sludged up....Few are as wise as you are to check the Maintenance. It really may not matter when at 400,000 miles the engine runs to the junkyard with or without sludge.

Well,at least,a few of us were able to correctly conclude that 2 oil and filter changes per year were better than 1 oil and filter change per year.

By your reasoning, 4 oil and filter changes per year were better than 2 oil and filter changes per year, 8 oil and filter changes per year were better than 4 oil and filter changes per year ... Finally, change oil and filter every night after coming home from a drive is the best.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
A taxi is started in the morning and probably runs all day long. It is not seeing soccer mom use as I stated in my example, different animal.

Back the question I asked. Quote: Lets take this example, 2 identical cars, identical in every way, including use, making identical trips. One person uses SSO and changes the oil once a year, car driven 15 miles during the morning taking half an hour to get to work, home trip 15 miles 90 minutes. Then another 100 miles of soccer mom use during the week and weekends. First car sees SSO changed once a year, with an Amsoil filter, second car uses M1, or PP with a Mobil 1 filter changed every 6 months. Which car would you buy?

If I were buying a car and looking at someone's car who kept a log, I'd rather buy the car with the two OCI's. during that year. I think anyone who knows how to buy a used car would agree. Both cars saw synthetic oil.

And what about this?

Quote:
Two hour 80+ mile trip is better for a car and the oil than a 2 hour 15 mile trip.

I answered that and you've failed to offer confirmation that you see or do not see the correlation of "service" between the two ..as referenced, only in a loosely parallel service duty, to taxi service.

Any comment?

Assuming I wanted either, either would do. I'd be far more concerned about the trans and suspension.

What makes you assume that the one year Amsoil engine offers less utility or will offer less utility than the PP engine?

Or are you saying "you imagine"?

Lol. I stop at 2 changes per year,but have at it,if you must.

What if you did 20k a year, FZ1 ...who would be left to say "5k! NO MORE!" ..or "7k MAX!!"?

How would you cope with that?

Ah Gary I can see your bias toward Amsoil, but that's OK you do have a vested interest. I think that you've probably only driven through NY and never lived here, but I could be wrong.

An engine tear down for this example would tell all, something I wouldn't be able to prove to you for this example, nor can you prove otherwise. Looks like this discussion won't come to an end, and most people are afraid to really comment on their true feelings.

Ask any mechanic, engine builder, or car buff which is better for an engine. Driving 15 miles in 90 minutes, or driving 80 miles in 90 minutes. That might help with your decision. Taxi, soccer mom, or not, I think the answer is the same.

There's no way to provide proof either way, since neither party is going to perform an extensive 10 year test with tear down and measurements to prove their point. IMHO I think a properly performed 1 year OCI on a mechanically sound engine with Amsoil will provide the same service and clean internals.

However, we need to keep something in mind. Amsoil did not build my car. Subaru did, and they say 6k km (which is ridiculous again IMHO), so I do what they say because they hold the warranty card and because I like to think they must know something I or Amsoil doesn't know about their engines.

Will I extend after warranty? Absolutely when extending is anything past 6k km for my subaru. How far? Probably no more then 10-12K km (6-7.5k miles) or every 6 months.

Amsoil 5W-30 1 year/18,472 miles
AHC Offline

Loc: Shoreline, WA
This report was generated by Blackstone for my buddy's 2.0L 4 cylinder 95 Ford Contour. The engine has 114,222 miles on it and the oil has been in service for 18,472 miles and 1 year. He used Amsoil filters changed at 6 months. Make-up oil was about 1.25 quarts. Oil was Amsoil 5W-30 1 year/25,000 mile formula.

Blackstone's Comments: You are apparently buying gas in Canada or some Canadian gas is making it's way into your area as we found manganese in the oil, which is an additive in Canadian gas. The TBN for this oil read at 0.0, which shows no additive left in the oil after 18,472 miles in use. Suggest changing this oil out not only due to TBN, but due to abrasion from the accumulated wear metals. Insolubles limited out at 0.5% of the sample and these tend to be abrasive as well. The oil's viscosity read in the SAE 40W range. The oil is very stressed and easily used up.

Report#'s Univ Averag
Aluminum 8 4
Chromium 2 1
Iron 131 28
Copper 20 8
Lead 2 3
Tin 1 3
Molybdenum 11 4
Nickel 3 1
Manganese 56 0
Silver 0 0
Titanium 0 0
Potassium 0 0
Boron 0 37
Silicon 16 48
Sodium 7 92
Calcium 2554 1013
Magnesium 300 836
Phosphorus 949 785
Zinc 1336 922
Barium 0 3

SUS Visc 71.8 56-63
@210F

Flashpnt F 395 >365
Fuel % Antifrz % 0.0 0
Water % 0.0 Insolubles % 0.5
His doesn't 'hot rod' this car and he drives about 70% highway and 30% city. By the way he lives in Seattle and travels to Canada once and a while which might explain the Manganese?

So much for extended drain intervals with this oil?

[ August 23, 2002, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: AHC ]

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=214346&page=1

This is a good read on Extended Drains.

Good points,guys. Bob's is a great place to obtain and exchange information. We all have to call our own oci/oil shots,and each persons "Facts" (Vehicle,climate,driving,etc.,etc.)are unique. I can see that different approaches work for different circumstances. Cheers to all.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Better in what way?

If I drive my car 18,000 miles a year, there stands a good chance that if I change my oil at 9000 miles then I will have less particles floating in my oil as well as less fuel in my oil as opposed to running my OCI out to 18,000 miles.

What happens with all of those particles floating around the engine for people doing extended OCI's, are those particles scratching up and destroying the piston rings.

What about Fuel Dillution, fuel sure does not act as a good lubricant.

It just seems there are more concerns and pitfalls with doing Extended OCI's and it may be easier to stick with 5000 to 7500 Mile OCI's.

I agree. I understand that some guys can run farther than I can run,in my fuel diluting Accord V6, and that's fine. I just prefer to be cautiouous on ocis. Nothing bad happens if you dump the oil too soon. + I don't want to mess with a uoa. I'd rather just change it. I prefer synthetic oil and a good oil filter,but some guys do just fine on PYB and a Supertec filter. To each his own. We are all just trying to Minimize what we spend on our "Lifetime Cost of Vehicle Ownership". We just select different approaches.

Gary are the NY Taxi Fleets running SSO for 1 year OCI's in all those 400K cars? I bet their service intervals are more frequent than 1 year OCI's.

So a 15 mile 90 minute ride is as good for an engine as a 90 minute 80 mile ride? Highway miles have always been the best, has that changed recently? I guess every mechanic, shop teacher and car buff I've met over the years had no clue what they were talking about.

Again a NYC taxi is not a soccer mom's daily commuter vehicle.

FZ1 I'm glad there are a handful of us that would rather see that oil dumped twice a year vs 1 time. To each his own.

Ask any mechanic, engine builder, or car buff which is better for an engine. Driving 15 miles in 90 minutes, or driving 80 miles in 90 minutes. That might help with your decision.

I'll tell you without one fear of contradiction. They're the same. What you can't figure out is that you're measuring "better" in terms of miles accumulated.

If both of those vehicles drove that for a daily drive ..over the same time span, I'd venture to say that they would be in about the same shape. What you can't integrate is that a 150k engine and a 30k engine ..looking the same is ..the same.

You're reading "That thing saw 150k of wear in 30k!!!!! While I'm telling you that both engines had XXXX hours on them. They both processed the same amount of fuel.

Just like a boat wears out after so many gallons of fuel runs through it. The passenger/truck (same engine) lasts thousands of hours more and accumulates hundreds of thousands of mies ..why? Because it takes that long to consume that much fuel. No amount of maintenance will alter that fundamental. Otherwise boats would have bigger sumps ..more frequent service points ..etc.

Bias? Hardly. Before I became an Amsoil dealer I ran Delvac 1 for 10 and some odd months. I was working up from 12.5k and would have gone to 18k on the next round.

I understand that its a hard concept to wrap around, but I think you attribute way too much folk lore to the BRUTAL AND GRULLING NYC traffic. The abuse is on the driver ...and maybe the sheet metal ..and the critters who can't maintain their cars and have them break down in traffic in front of you.

We're getting close Gary. I just forwarded this thread to an old friend who runs a machine shop. I speak with him from time to time. He emailed me back, his reply:

As someone who has torn apart numerous engines with different oil choices and driving patterns I can most certainly tell you that the engines that are way worse are always those that have been excessively idled and/or were in stop-go traffic conditions for most of their operation. I have witness burn't valves, excess carbon, piston scoring, stuck rings, engine sludge, excessive varnish, sticky lifters, plugged up pick-up tubes, you name it I can attribute it to stop & go or short trip driving. Extended drains don't help these engines, get the dirty oil out, it's cheap enough.

Gary based on engine on time that Cab with 400,000 miles you make reference to really has over 2,000,000 miles worth of wear?

In a nut shell that engine driven 80+ miles is going to be light years ahead of the city driven engine. More frequent oil changes in stop and go is the way to go

How do suppose your position is any more correct than gary's? The long drain UOA's I've seen seen (with the proper oils) seem to suggest they are not doing any more harm to the vehicle when compared to a regular OCI. I guess having a science and engineering background/career I try to keep an open mind and not fall back on my gut feeling because it is wrong most of the time. I mean I get it you are just having fun and just maybe trying to get under people's skin with the cloak of anonymity thing (its just the internet right?) but it comes off like a guy who has got it all figured out and my experience is those types have their heads in the sand most of the time. I guess its all just fun and games though.

Last edited:
We're getting close Gary. I just forwarded this thread to an old friend who runs a machine shop. I speak with him from time to time. He emailed me back, his reply:

As someone who has torn apart numerous engines with different oil choices and driving patterns I can most certainly tell you that the engines that are way worse are always those that have been excessively idled and/or were in stop-go traffic conditions for most of their operation. I have witness burn't valves, excess carbon, piston scoring, stuck rings, engine sludge, excessive varnish, sticky lifters, plugged up pick-up tubes, you name it I can attribute it to stop & go or short trip driving. Extended drains don't help these engines, get the dirty oil out, it's cheap enough.

Gary based on engine on time that Cab with 400,000 miles you make reference to really has over 2,000,000 miles worth of wear?

In a nut shell that engine driven 80+ miles is going to be light years ahead of the city driven engine. More frequent oil changes in stop and go is the way to go

Your friend saw engines either neglected or with design flaws. He may be able to tell you the mileage, but I'll venture to say that he hasn't a clue of how much fuel went through them nor the maintenance habits of the drivers.

Our good friend Doug Hillary taught me this lesson ..more or less without even knowing it. I've heard it said or referenced before, but he allowed me to visualize it clearly.

We had a thread where he just blurted out "There is no such thing as magic oil! If it exists, I've never heard of it and have certainly never seen it!!"

He then went on a protracted description of how he ran synthetic lubricants and his competitor, who he also maintained their rigs in his service center ...running side by side...

No significant difference in overhaul rates. Now what he did have was about 1/4-1/5 the downtime since he ran the synthetic.

Now guess what else was about the same in those engine? Yep, fuel economy/usage. Even if 1% was realized and could be leveraged around added costs, it would be adopted.

So, we have 1/5th the maintenance with the same fuel used and the same overhaul rate. Or 5X the maintenance ..same fuel..same overhaul rate.

A water craft engine ran at 1/2 output (not half throttle) maintained at the same level will last twice as long. A water craft engine ran at 1/2 output maintained twice as often won't last four times as long.

I'm saying that one year with SSO or any of the designated Amsoil fluids will maintain the engine over one year with no loss of utility due to lubrication failure or lube aggravated conditions. About the only disclaimer I would make would be if the engine evidenced a characteristic design defect.

For example, I'm sure your machinist friend has seen a ton of 3.0 Mitsubishi's in his career. What was he doing to them? He was reworking the heads for bad valve guides and doing a valve job "while you're there".

I would say that the hardest service per mile would be something like a jeep (or any other vehicle used in this manner) on a farm or summer camp where it only plows snow or does off road golf cart duty and sits for the rest of the year. Even those tend to take decades to require an overhaul (admittedly your standards tend to be different for requiring one).

If we take my example again, no way is the engine doing the 80 miles in 90 minutes generating the same, bi-products and junk that the engine going 15 miles in 90 minutes is. The combustion bi-products are not linear across all operating conditions, there are certainly good operating and bad operating conditions. Stop and go and idling are not good operating conditions! Granted they both had the same engine on time, only difference is the 15 mile drive is putting a lot more [censored] into the oil in those 90 minutes.

My point in this discussion is this, getting that oil out twice a year, is better than once a year. Yes the oil is hot, and up to temps, however an engine that idles is putting a lot more contaminants into the oil than one that is being run under optimum conditions. That is the point I'm making here.

BTW Doug Hillary is correct there is no magic oil, and no one size fits all oil either.

He's seen the so called Toyota sludge monsters with burnt valves that were clean inside. He asks customers from time to time what oil and what intervals they change it at. Those who change oil more often than not had the cleaner engines. Not every engine sees a machine shop because it blew up, some come in with warped heads that need milling, or some valve work, or people looking for more HP in performance applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back