Amsoil SSO 18,200 miles 1 year 08 Acura TL 3.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
If we take my example again, no way is the engine doing the 80 miles in 90 minutes generating the same, bi-products and junk that the engine going 15 miles in 90 minutes is.

If it consumed the same amount of fuel (one distinctive qualifier we have here) ..yes, they are. They'll both transition through the same fuel enrichment curve and will experience the same "90% of all wear occurs at startup" for about 20 minutes.

Quote:
The combustion bi-products are not linear across all operating conditions, there are certainly good operating and bad operating conditions.

Assuming you have a functional engine management system, you'll cycle in and out of closed loop in both modes. Maybe if you're in OHIO or some place where you can actually cruise you might get a fraction better fuel trimming. Your fuel maps should be adapted to what you're doing at the time you're doing it.

Quote:
Yes the oil is hot, and up to temps, however an engine that idles is putting a lot more contaminants into the oil than one that is being run under optimum conditions. That is the point I'm making here.

Only if viewed on a per mile basis. In this case, the odometer is very blind to engine usage.

I'd say that if you had two identical cars doing this with OLM's, the fuel processed would be about the same. The miles ...would be miles apart.

There will naturally be exceptions ..meteor showers, incidentals and a laundry list of POTENTIAL influences that effect either vehicle ..but this is a basic engineering concept that's pretty much immutable. That's the fundamental lifespan of an engine, the amount of fuel that it processes and turns into work.

Quote:
My point in this discussion is this, getting that oil out twice a year, is better than once a year.

As a general rule, sure. If you're going to do exceptional drain intervals, you need an exceptional oil. Not all oils are meant to go that far.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I'm saying that one year with SSO or any of the designated Amsoil fluids will maintain the engine over one year with no loss of utility due to lubrication failure or lube aggravated conditions. About the only disclaimer I would make would be if the engine evidenced a characteristic design defect.

This sounds like something from the Amsoil Sales Book, sorry Gary, but your statement sounds more like an opinion as opposed to an actual fact.

Quote:
If we take my example again, no way is the engine doing the 80 miles in 90 minutes generating the same, bi-products and junk that the engine going 15 miles in 90 minutes is.

If it consumed the same amount of fuel (one distinctive qualifier we have here) ..yes, they are. They'll both transition through the same fuel enrichment curve and will experience the same "90% of all wear occurs at startup" for about 20 minutes.

Quote:
The combustion bi-products are not linear across all operating conditions, there are certainly good operating and bad operating conditions.

Assuming you have a functional engine management system, you'll cycle in and out of closed loop in both modes. Maybe if you're in OHIO or some place where you can actually cruise you might get a fraction better fuel trimming. Your fuel maps should be adapted to what you're doing at the time you're doing it.

Quote:
Yes the oil is hot, and up to temps, however an engine that idles is putting a lot more contaminants into the oil than one that is being run under optimum conditions. That is the point I'm making here.

Only if viewed on a per mile basis. In this case, the odometer is very blind to engine usage.

I'd say that if you had two identical cars doing this with OLM's, the fuel processed would be about the same. The miles ...would be miles apart.

There will naturally be exceptions ..meteor showers, incidentals and a laundry list of POTENTIAL influences that effect either vehicle ..but this is a basic engineering concept that's pretty much immutable. That's the fundamental lifespan of an engine, the amount of fuel that it processes and turns into work.

Quote:
My point in this discussion is this, getting that oil out twice a year, is better than once a year.

As a general rule, sure. If you're going to do exceptional drain intervals, you need an exceptional oil. Not all oils are meant to go that far.

Is everything you're quoting here facts Gary? Or are these opinions you've made? Everything I've heard, read and been taught says highway miles are better for an engine than stop and go. Seems in your view it makes no difference. Based on what I'm getting from this discussion engines are now perfectly designed and it seems city miles vs highway miles make no difference, in wear, cleanliness, or engine life. The metering and management systems make the perfect world a reality now. In both examples both engines will last the exact same amount of hours, be as clean, as each other, and show no difference in wear. Wouldn't that be simple? The only thing different would be the miles logged!

I'd love to see those facts so I can wrap my head around it.

Quote:
Everything I've heard, read and been taught says highway miles are better for an engine than stop and go.

On what basis? Time? Miles? If I sit in stop and go and go 5 minutes, and you put 100k on a year ..take the fuel equivalency out of the equation ...

In 5 years which engine will be more worn. The one with 10k or the one with 500k? That's wear based on TIME.

If you drive 100k a year on the highway and I drive 100k in stop and go(if one could go 100k in stop and go), that's wear based on MILES

See? You're arguing from different angles and can't put them on the level playing field of fuel consumption.

You keep saying that PER MILE highway miles are better for an engine than stop and go. SURE. A stop and go engine accumulates very few miles per gallon of fuel.

Now if you'll just reason it on a PER GALLON (assuming the aforementioned terms and conditions) you may see the difference.

Net of the fun and games,the longer you run the oil,the more the wear metals and contaminants increase. I get rid of the wear metals and contaminants by changing the oil and filter;so that's what I do. See it really can be simple. When in Doubt;Change it Out.

The main contaminant is combustion byproducts. Your insolubles are filtered to a level that is not significant in the rational life span of the engine. The filter has to have a given holding capacity to manage the insolubles produced. Better filters ..the one's that boast those fantastic numbers, tend to have higher than OEM holding capacity. They have to to manage the OEM recommended interval. If they were finer and of minimum holding capacity, they would be saturated before the OEM limits for duration of use.

How does Honda do it, FZ1? 10k OCI's and 20k FCI's ..and a long life to the engine. They just must be magic cars.

"A Man's got to know his Limitations". 6 months and about 4500 miles is about right for my rig.

Quote:
Everything I've heard, read and been taught says highway miles are better for an engine than stop and go.

On what basis? Time? Miles? If I sit in stop and go and go 5 minutes, and you put 100k on a year ..take the fuel equivalency out of the equation ...

In 5 years which engine will be more worn. The one with 10k or the one with 500k? That's wear based on TIME.

If you drive 100k a year on the highway and I drive 100k in stop and go(if one could go 100k in stop and go), that's wear based on MILES

See? You're arguing from different angles and can't put them on the level playing field of fuel consumption.

You keep saying that PER MILE highway miles are better for an engine than stop and go. SURE. A stop and go engine accumulates very few miles per gallon of fuel.

Now if you'll just reason it on a PER GALLON (assuming the aforementioned terms and conditions) you may see the difference.

At the end of 1 year which engine will have more dirt and contamination? Which will have cleaner dirtier packs? Most likely the one that idled and sat in traffic. That's the one I'd change the oil in twice a year, doing that I'll more than likely extend the life beyond the 100,000 miles. No one is saying that engine will last 500,000 miles, but I'm willing to bet that changing the oil twice a year is better for that engine. Sorry once again Gary, Amsoil is not the best for every application, and extended drains are not the best for every engine.

Stop and go wastes fuel, highway uses it more efficiently, wasting fuel creates more emissions, and more bi-products. Why is that so hard to understand? You're making it sound that for every gallon of gas burnt, exactly the same emissions and waste are created no matter how the engine is used. That is wrong, and the point I am trying to bring out.

Something to think about:

Why are the emission limits on emission tests that use sniffers in the pipe more laxed at idle than at 40 mph? It's because they have to run the engine richer at idle to keep it running and not shaking because the engine is under heavy load from the transmission but not high on the RPM. Why does city traffic give you poorer fuel economy than high-way? No free rides, higher emissions, more bi-product 'per hour' going into the oil. That's why highway driving is better for an engine and oil.

In the end it is all about specific fuel consumption, effectively lb of fuel per hp-hr or whatever metric. Effectively, the more load, the less fuel utilized as the cycle is more efficient.

Lots of other equipment uses hours to determine PM regimens. Is the assumption for some of this (heavy) stuff that it is heavily/optimally loaded?

Folks can look at my SSO UOA from my saab, which was 13k miles, IIRC, and looked great. I went away from it because of the ACEA A3 requirement, but I'd consider using it again as it is good oil.

I would rather follow what is in the Owner's Manual as far as OCI's, whether that is 5000 or 7500 miles, because eventually those people who are doing extended drains are going to run into problems with having deposits restrict there oil flow in there engines, maybe it will not happen at 100,000 or even 150,000 miles, but it will eventually happen.

A UOA is not going to tell you how clean or how dirty your engine is.

You think Amsoil run one year is going to keep your ring packs as clean as running Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra for at least 2 or 3 OCI's in a year.

We all know that Amsoil thickens up after 10,000 miles or so, save some money on oil changes but then that money saved goes right into your gasoline purchases.

Doing extended oil changes can also put a heavy burden on your PCV System, it just seems that more frequent oil changes will keep the engine cleaner.

Gosh my head is gonna explode from all the back and forth finger pointing. It comes down to something very simple.

It can or it can't. No oil will routinely behave the same across a broad spectrum of vehicles.

An 18k run in two of the same brand/model/year car will not look the same. Variances in engine construction, fuel, air, and other factors play a part. Premature failure of other items like a PCV etc. What works for one person won't work for another. I don't see why so much time was wasted on if x miles in x time is better than x time for x miles. Really?

Some people who accumulate greater than 15-20k miles a year tend to not have to waste their time on oil changes, or don't feel like messing with the car more than they have to. Your in it every day, for x amount of miles. It's like a guy who made Pizza for 45 years, the last thing the guy wants to eat is PIZZA!

1 oil change, compared to two, or three, or even 4 is money well spent. And if it works, more power to them! They get their money's worth. Time is one thing people take for granted. A 30 minute oil change seems like nothing to some, but is a big deal to others.

I knew a guy back in collections, who put in excess of 50k a year on his Silverado, he ran his truck on synthetic, pushed it out well past 10-15k miles. His job was tough, any spare time the guy had was to spend it with his family and make sure everything was all set for his next long outing. He'd literally commute from North Jersey, to CT, to PA and back to Jersey sometimes several times a day. He worked part time in collections, did a paper sales and couriering. He would route the two as close as possible. If he did 5-7k mile OCI's it would be weekly. 9k OCI's for the OP is every 6 months, the oil can handle more so he did it. It worked.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
In the end it is all about specific fuel consumption, effectively lb of fuel per hp-hr or whatever metric. Effectively, the more load, the less fuel utilized as the cycle is more efficient.

Lots of other equipment uses hours to determine PM regimens. Is the assumption for some of this (heavy) stuff that it is heavily/optimally loaded?

Folks can look at my SSO UOA from my saab, which was 13k miles, IIRC, and looked great. I went away from it because of the ACEA A3 requirement, but I'd consider using it again as it is good oil.

If my bearings are sound, the basic inefficiency of idling is due to "throttling losses". You have to counter the vacuum produced by the closed throttle plus any work being performed. Diesels are extremely efficient at idle since they have no throttle. The term "compression braking" is an accepted misnomer. In reality it's a lack of a vacuum producing throttle that makes a jake-brake beneficial to create "compression braking". No gasoline engine has it ..so to speak.

That required added hp taxes fuel consumption. There's nothing inherently "damaging" in it. Without some logic train to support the "feeling" ..it's just that, existing in the imagination. Surely anecdotal evidence can suggest that these stuck in traffic engines are harmed, but without actually doing it to yourself and knowing how you allegedly maintained it well and still suffered "harm", it's really without material or statistical support for truth.

We're talking in a conceptual vacuum.

Sorry for the war I started in this thread... I should have handled my posts in a different manor.

That said I will not comment any further on this thread.

Good luck to the OP with your Amsoil and this engine. I wish you the best of luck.
thumbsup2.gif

Steve

Originally Posted By: FZ1
"A Man's got to know his Limitations". 6 months and about 4500 miles is about right for my rig.

I understand. If Dirty Harry had his 44 magnum pointed at my head, I would definitely hurry up and change my oil. And my pants.

Last edited:
Jeez, what a waste of time!

Wading through FZ1'a garbage (piles of it, no less) affirmed why I frequent Dyson Mobility Web.

And I'm not an Amsoil oil user. Edge and Ultra.

And whatever months and miles I [censored] well please.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Jeez, what a waste of time!

Wading through FZ1'a garbage (piles of it, no less) affirmed why I frequent Dyson Mobility Web.

And I'm not an Amsoil oil user. Edge and Ultra.

And whatever months and miles I [censored] well please.

I'm sure you won't get much agreement from his cadre. Again, nothing wrong with opinion, nothing wrong with bias. I just don't think it's cool to make posts that seem all "advicy" and come across as a warning, when there is just not much to warn about. Posting a cut and paste UOA from 2002 has what relevance? What merit? I don't see Amsoil dealers posting all kinds of the good UOA's in this thread (to makes some "sales" point). Yet again and again people so desperately want long OCI's to fail. What is up with that??? You have to wonder "why" as Gary so much more eloquently states.

In the other recent excellent Amsoil extended OCI thread, the above named poster made an error while posting with the typical tone - trying to get his usual point across. I followed up nicely, and he did too, in a way, but did he apologize? Again in that thread, the same want was there. If people can't see it, please PM me.

Sorry I pooped in this thread as well, but my silly skit post was just not that far from reality. I think that's why I hit a raw nerve.

A lot of good info and opinions here.

A little OT- I'm trying to wrap my head around why StevieC was permanently banned? Was it something he said here, or was he given a second chance and screwed up again?

People should know so they could avoid his fate, and keep the discussions in a tone that won't offend anyone or get a moderator involved.

Stevie was an asset to the board, sad to see him gone now.

demar:

What makes you believe he was permanently banned? He was back on Thursday (September 2nd).

What did he step in this time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back