Amsoil SS and Ultra Platinum are same price...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
My experience shows Amsoil to be the gold standard for extended drain. My UOA at 14k recommended I try 16k next time. I don't see many other oils holding up that well. I have used Dino and now GC since then so I'm not fanatic over it or anything. GM would have to prove the oil on the sump didn't meet their spec you don't have to prove it did. Paying to be on the list isn't a requirement of meeting the spec. How many engines die from the a bad oil spec anyway? None. Only from running out or not changing within a recommended time.

M1 EP is easily on par with SSO if you look at the uoa posted here,and to be honest even though I'm not a fan of mobil I do trust their 15000 mile guarantee.
I've not yet seen a single uoa of Amsoil SSO that has gone the 25000 miles they advertise.
Though their diesel oils show fantastic uoa results with extended drains.
I used to use Amsoil exclusively and I like the company and the products however costs is the issue for me b
Not not interested in doing uoa. And a uoa costs as much as an oil change. For me to run 25000 miles I'd have to get uoa done which is an added cost. And what if that 15 dollar a quart Amsoil is spent at 15000 miles? Then the added expenditure end up being more costly than the oils I currently use for 10000 miles.
I like Amsoil. I just don't like the extra work I have to do to use it and capitalize on their extended drain.
For me it's cheaper to run 10000 mile intervals on jugs I acquire for 26 bucks. My total is under 35 bucks every 10000 miles including filter.
To use Amsoil for 25000 miles it would cost me 90 bucks in oil,60 bucks in uoa and if the oil is spent prior to 25000 miles Then what.
150 bucks for a max of 25000 miles. Or 30000 miles for 105 bucks.
No brainer.

Originally Posted By: tireguy99
First off where you getting signature series shipped for $7.50 a quart??

+1 I thought I'm the only one thinking this I have my doubts it's possible.

RedOakRanch,

You are most likely 100% correct. I don't know of any oil related failures that have occurred with Amsoil in GM engines. Being that I am still under warranty, I would like to avoid any issues at all costs even though the engine would be fine with Amsoil.

tig1,

Understood. Thank you.

OVERKILL,

Got it. Thank you. Appreciate it.

Clevy,

I am pretty confident that Amsoil would protect any engine for 25,000 miles without any issues at all. I don't think they would risk any issues if they weren't certain they could meet at least 25,000 mile intervals. I would never go that far on any oil or filter, but it's peace of mind that the oil is so good, you could. I think Amsoil signature series oils have been out long enough that if there were any issues with the oil going the distance, we would know by now.

tireguy99 and dave123,

I am an Amsoil dealer, so I get the oil cheaper. I just don't sell the oil to the public. I logged into my Amsoil account and put in 2 gallons of 0W30 signature series and 4 quarts of the same oil which is enough for two oil changes for my car. Total cost shipped to my door for everything is: $90.10. Divide $90.10 by 12 quarts and the cost per quart comes to $7.51 cents. There you have it.

Last edited:
Ok, guys I need to apologize to everyone here. Thanks to tireguy99 and dave123 bringing up the question of my cost per quart, I went back and looked at the Amsoil order I was putting together and I miscalculated the amount of oil I would need for two oil changes.

I need a total of 12 quarts for two oil changes. Instead of putting in 2 gallons of oil and 4 quarts of oil which equals 12 quarts, my retarded brain put in 2 gallons of oil and 2 quarts of oil which equals ONLY 10 quarts.

After recalculating the total on the Amsoil site, the total for the order of 2 gallons of oil and 4 quarts of oil (signature series 0W30) is $107.40 which equals $8.95 shipped to my door. Still isn't bad for Amsoil 0W30 signature series. Most auto parts stores sell Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra Platinum for almost $10.00 per quart plus tax.

Again, I apologize. It was my error to report that Amsoil and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum were the same price per quart.

Last edited:
Thanks bud. As far as answering your question. I'm sure mobil or Pennzoil would do just fine but if you feel better using AMSOIL then use it. I'm the same way. I don't care about shaving $5-$8 off an oil change. I'd rather use what I like.

I do think changing it every 5-6k is a waste tho. If using the signature series I'd go to at least 8-9k in your conditions

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Ok, guys I need to apologize to everyone here. Thanks to tireguy99 and dave123 bringing up the question of my cost per quart, I went back and looked at the Amsoil order I was putting together and I miscalculated the amount of oil I would need for two oil changes.

I need a total of 12 quarts for two oil changes. Instead of putting in 2 gallons of oil and 4 quarts of oil which equals 12 quarts, my retarded brain put in 2 gallons of oil and 2 quarts of oil which equals ONLY 10 quarts.

After recalculating the total on the Amsoil site, the total for the order of 2 gallons of oil and 4 quarts of oil (signature series 0W30) is $107.40 which equals $8.95 shipped to my door. Still isn't bad for Amsoil 0W30 signature series. Most auto parts stores sell Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra Platinum for almost $10.00 per quart plus tax.

Again, I apologize. It was my error to report that Amsoil and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum were the same price per quart.

Most people are getting M1 or PP for 5 dollars or less per qt not $10.00

I would imagine that the new Cadillac will come with free oil changes.

If you are not using the factory oil filter, why not?

Is there something wrong with factory oil filters from all of the
auto manufactures?

They can design a car from top to bottom, but they flunked oil filter 101.

I'd ask Farmer Brown, but I think he has a couple of loose bolts in his windmill.

Originally Posted By: dave123

Most people are getting M1 or PP for 5 dollars or less per qt not $10.00

Exactly.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Dont ever buy oil by the qt as this is a waste of money
Always get the jugs
I know how that sounds but it is a fact of life

YES, for 'on the shelf' oils at Sino Mart, this is true, but there is usually NO price difference between 4/5 single quarts and gallon/5 qt. jugs (IF they are even available) when it comes to mail ordered 'boutique' oils.
wink.gif

dave_123,

Not all stores sell Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra Platinum for less than $5.00 per quart. Most auto parts stores are almost $10.00 per quart plus tax.

used_Oil,

Yes, Cadillac offers free maintenance on Cadillacs for the first 4 years of 50K miles, but they won't change the oil earlier than what the oil life monitor says. If you want it changed earlier, you have to do it yourself, which I did. I will let them change the oil for me next week as my oil life monitor is now under 20%. They will use Mobil 1, but I will supply a better filter as I have a ton of Fram Ultra filters now.

The ecore AC Delco filters GM now uses are complete junk. GM is looking to save money and doing whatever they can to get by on filtration. They are not looking to spend more money on filters and AC Delco has really gone cheap on their ecore filters. If it's my car, I want the best stuff being used on it to avoid any issues down the road.

dailydriver,

Amsoil is cheaper when purchased by the gallons and Mobil 1 is cheaper at Walmart when you buy it by the 5 quart jug.

Last edited:
dave_123,

Not all stores sell Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra Platinum for less than $5.00 per quart. Most auto parts stores are almost $10.00 per quart plus tax.

used_Oil,

Yes, Cadillac offers free maintenance on Cadillacs for the first 4 years of 50K miles, but they won't change the oil earlier than what the oil life monitor says. If you want it changed earlier, you have to do it yourself, which I did. I will let them change the oil for me next week as my oil life monitor is now under 20%. They will use Mobil 1, but I will supply a better filter as I have a ton of Fram Ultra filters now.

The ecore AC Delco filters GM now uses are complete junk. GM is looking to save money and doing whatever they can to get by on filtration. They are not looking to spend more money on filters and AC Delco has really gone cheap on their ecore filters. If it's my car, I want the best stuff being used on it to avoid any issues down the road.

dailydriver,

Amsoil is cheaper when purchased by the gallons and Mobil 1 is cheaper at Walmart when you buy it by the 5 quart jug.

I did not say most stores sell M1 or PP for $5.00 a qt I said most people are getting it for $5.00 a qt or less

Maybe you guys can answer this for me...

It terms of base stocks, it seems Pennzoil's marketing tries to say the base stocks used in Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum are higher quality and more pure as it comes from natural gas instead of crude oil. They go on to say that since it comes from natural gas vapor and is clear, it is a better starting point before they throw in their additives to make it a better synthetic.

Do any of you know for certain how Mobil 1 is made compared to Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra Platinum and if Pennzoil's base stock process is indeed better than Mobil 1?

I keep hearing that Mobil 1 isn't a true full synthetic and that Mobil 1's base stocks are derived from crude oil. I also keep hearing that Mobil 1 is made from a Group III base stock and is lower quality than Pennzoil's Platinum/Ultra Platinum Group VI base stocks. I have heard that for the last few years Mobil 1 quality has gone downhill in order for XOM to save money and boost profits.

I am trying to get educated here and looking for answers. Any input is much appreciated.

It terms of base stocks, it seems Pennzoil's marketing tries to say the base stocks used in Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum are higher quality and more pure as it comes from natural gas instead of crude oil. They go on to say that since it comes from natural gas vapor and is clear, it is a better starting point before they throw in their additives to make it a better synthetic.

Do any of you know for certain how Mobil 1 is made compared to Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra Platinum and if Pennzoil's base stock process is indeed better than Mobil 1?

I keep hearing that Mobil 1 isn't a true full synthetic and that Mobil 1's base stocks are derived from crude oil. I also keep hearing that Mobil 1 is made from a Group III base stock and is lower quality than Pennzoil's Platinum/Ultra Platinum Group VI base stocks. I have heard that for the last few years Mobil 1 quality has gone downhill in order for XOM to save money and boost profits.

I am trying to get educated here and looking for answers. Any input is much appreciated.

You said: "I keep hearing". Please explain where you "heard"

Originally Posted By: tig1

I have read all these comments on this forum on various threads. I just wanted to know who's formula uses a better base stock group VI instead of the common Group III.

They're all going to perform about the same. M1 and Pennzoil have OEM certifications. If you're a trusting type Amsoil will get the job done too without any actual OEM approval. If I were in your shoes I start and stick to M1 given the price and mainly availability.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
An example of an AMSOIL product with official manufacturer approvals:

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/mo.../?code=AFLQT-EA

Quote:
APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL European Car Formula Mid-SAPS Synthetic Motor Oil is formulated to meet or exceed the most demanding European specifications. It is recommended for European gasoline or diesel vehicles requiring any of the following performance specifications:

Manufacturer Approvals:
BMW Longlife-04
MB-Approval 229.51
Porsche A40

Recommended For:
ACEA C3
API SN/SM/CF...
Chrysler MS-10850 (supersedes MS-10896)
Ford WSS-M2C917-A
GM dexos2™ (supersedes LL-A-025 and LL-B-025)
Renault RN0700/RN0710
Volkswagen 502.00/505.01

Which shows up on the Mercedes approval list here:

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.51_en.html

Unfortunately, this is the issue with some manufacturers. There is a difference between saying "recommended for XXX application" and "meets the YYY certification for ZZZ manufacturer" . . . If you read the language on Amsoil's site, it does not say it is Dexos Certified, it just says it is Recommended For . . . It may be a fantastic oil, it may be better than some/many/all Dexos certified oils, the problem is that they obviously did not pay for the Dexos certification or the Dexos license and therefore it is not clear to the consumer whether or not this oil actually meets the Dexos spec (or any number of other specs either for that matter). I have observed this with some other manufacturers as well and, although many people may not feel the same way about it, this type of marketing concerns me greatly. I'm not trying to start a flame war with these comments, just pointing out the nuances of how the language is being used and that folks should be sure to understand the differences. By all accounts, Amsoil makes excellent lubricating products.

Originally Posted By: tig1

I have read all these comments on this forum on various threads. I just wanted to know who's formula uses a better base stock group VI instead of the common Group III.

If you have read BITOG then you would know all M1 oils are not Grp 3. Their base is a blend of Viscom, grp 4 and grp 5 per M1s web site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back