Amsoil SS and Ultra Platinum are same price...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
Maybe you guys can answer this for me...

It terms of base stocks, it seems Pennzoil's marketing tries to say the base stocks used in Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum are higher quality and more pure as it comes from natural gas instead of crude oil. They go on to say that since it comes from natural gas vapor and is clear, it is a better starting point before they throw in their additives to make it a better synthetic.

Do any of you know for certain how Mobil 1 is made compared to Pennzoil Platinum/Ultra Platinum and if Pennzoil's base stock process is indeed better than Mobil 1?

I keep hearing that Mobil 1 isn't a true full synthetic and that Mobil 1's base stocks are derived from crude oil. I also keep hearing that Mobil 1 is made from a Group III base stock and is lower quality than Pennzoil's Platinum/Ultra Platinum Group VI base stocks. I have heard that for the last few years Mobil 1 quality has gone downhill in order for XOM to save money and boost profits.

I am trying to get educated here and looking for answers. Any input is much appreciated.

You said: "I keep hearing". Please explain where you "heard"

I have read all these comments on this forum on various threads. I just wanted to know who's formula uses a better base stock group VI instead of the common Group III.

If you have read BITOG then you would know all M1 oils are not Grp 3. Their base is a blend of Viscom, grp 4 and grp 5 per M1s web site.

Thank you! What group base is Pennzoil Ultra Platinum?

Last edited:
My GUESS would be 3+ with a blend of 4 and 5 similar to M1's base. Just a guess. It's my understanding that Amsoil also uses a blend of base stocks. Maybe Pablo can chime in on this.

If the M1 is readily available, use it.

Maybe next time, Walmart will be in stock on the Ultra and you can give it a try.

I've used Mobil I since it became available around 1976 and have had no problems with it. I think I might be changing my own oil for the next two or three years and then I won't give a big rat's @**. I like BITOG very much but think a lot of discussions are picking swtc. Regards to everyone for making BITOG interesting. Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back