My Quest For The Best Oil on the Planet

You are correct....I'm referring to the Pennzoil Ultra which I thought PUP evolved from.
It was highly thought of on here when it first came out...I still have some in my stash....even some SM rated 5w20.
Yes, the Ultra oils had insanely low Noack, but that changed when the products were reshuffled and we got PUP/PP.

My truck just hit 3400 miles around where I usually change the oil. Leading up to the oil change I heard more chatter from the engine. It wasnt enough for the average person to detect it, but since I put 130000 miles on a 2018 and now 54000 on a 2021 I can tell differences in noise.

When I opened up the oil plug the oil flowed out like it was water. It seemed very thin unlike when I put it in. I do know this turbo ecoboost engine shears or thins the oil, but never seen it this bad...probably because I do mainly use 5W40 HDEO and 5W40 Euro oils.

Its to note thus far I have gotten the best gas mileage from the PUP. I will send in for testing.

My truck just hit 3400 miles around where I usually change the oil. Leading up to the oil change I heard more chatter from the engine. It wasnt enough for the average person to detect it, but since I put 130000 miles on a 2018 and now 54000 on a 2021 I can tell differences in noise.

When I opened up the oil plug the oil flowed out like it was water. It seemed very thin unlike when I put it in. I do know this turbo ecoboost engine shears or thins the oil, but never seen it this bad...probably because I do mainly use 5W40 HDEO and 5W40 Euro oils.

Its to note thus far I have gotten the best gas mileage from the PUP. I will send in for testing.
Every time I put oil in, it's at "ambient temperature". Every time I drain oil out, it's "hot". So, yes, oil flows very differently due to temperature. Do you not follow the same procedure, or, do you drain oil when it is at "ambient temp"?

There is no “best oil”. It all comes down to your service intervals, driving habits, environment and so forth.

There are many UOAs here for a variety of engines some oils do well in different engines some don’t and that’s in conjunction with mileage and as I said, driving habits.

It’s like saying what’s the best scotch? To me it’s Lagavulin 16, but I know deep down that’s all subjective. Have fun, use all the oils with a quality filter and 5,000 mile oci if you’re just doing everyday commuting style driving. Your engine will outlive the body of the car and most other components. That’s my thinking anyways.

I’ve used PP, M1, Castrol, Motul, Total and Liquimoly with no ill affect in my cars.

Again, I'd highly recommend using a lab that isn't Blackstone so you get a proper handle on the level of fuel dilution. Fuel is often the real culprit behind what many call "shear".

BITOGers:

6st5e8.jpg

Last edited:
Just a hypothetical....Among the hundreds of different oils on the market, if I had to absolutely choose one grade from one brand, I'd go with Mobil 1 0w40. Arguably the single best oil in the world if I had to consider everything. It's also been used and tested among more racing teams than any other I can think of.
What things do you consider to conclude that M1 0W-40 is the single best oil in the world? That's a bold assertion. Presumably, you've given the issue some thought.

The best oil: MOBIL 1 0w40/ESP 0w40
Is this oil better than Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 or Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30
Is the spread in Viscosity Improvers an issue?

I guess what I am saying is unless you live in a really cold climate is a closer spread in Viscosity better, or maybe it does not matter?

Is this oil better than Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 or Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30
Is the spread in Viscosity Improvers an issue?

I guess what I am saying is unless you live in a really cold climate is a closer spread in Viscosity better, or maybe it does not matter?
A closer spread is not necessarily better, as I pointed out the other day. According to Gokhan's calculations, Castrol 0W-40 for example, has a a higher base oil viscosity than their 5W-40.

A closer spread is not necessarily better, as I pointed out the other day. According to Gokhan's calculations, Castrol 0W-40 for example, has a a higher base oil viscosity than their 5W-40.

So the wider the spread is better to a certain extent, is 0W-40 the perfect Viscosity depending on where you live?

The #1 reason Im trying out the PUP 5W30 is because my favorite Youtube mechanic uses it so I thought I would give it a spin. Other reasons are I have seen good oil test results and so many people seem to like it here.

I normally use Mobil 1 Delvac 5W40 ESP. No issues. However I wont learn if I dont try.

In another episode i watched he was saying switch the 5w20s to 5w30 due to timing chain and phaser issues. Did not see the one you posted but I will watch it. If i was you I would go back to the 5w40 since you noticed a slightly higher noise w the PUP or if you wanted a 5w30 you could try PP Euro L 5w30 it is a very thick 5w30 and held up nicely in my kids old volvo c30.

If your name didn't miraculously appear on the back of the empty chair in the castle the night before you arrived there, you aren't chosen to find the Holy Grail.

My quest is much much easier... I go to Wal Mart and get a jug of 0w20 Mobil One and a Fram Ultra PH7317...Go home and change my oil in my HRV and move on....KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid....:D

Back