Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 Vs Castrol Edge 5W30 - both same price

hey all looking for recommendations between these two oils. Pennzoil ultra platinum 5w30 is on sale on amazon now for $27 ish and I can get Castrol Edge 5W30 at walmart for the same price so looking to compare which is the better buy

Castrol Edge 5w30 has the following

Density @ 15C: 0.85
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C : 10
Viscosity, Kinematic 40C : 57
Viscosity Index :164
Pour Point : -39
Flash Point : 225
Ash, Sulphated ASTM D874 % wt 0.78

while PUP 5w30 has the following:
Density kg/m3 : 841
Kinematic Viscosity 40°C : 56.3
Kinematic Viscosity @100°C :10.3
Flash Point °C : 203
Pour Point °C : -48
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 173

Edge has the higher flash point at 225 but a lower pour point at only -39
VI is also lower in 164

I watched the youtube video and PUP 5w30 apparently has a borate ester.
I know there is more to these oils compared to just the specs. Also I am not the best in comparing VI and pour point and flash etc

however which is the 'better' buy? OCI doesn't matter since I change it early anyways just looking for the most stouty oil

thanks

Those flashpoint tests are using two different test methods, D92 vs D93. One reads ~20°C higher than the other, so the flashpoint of these oils is pretty much the same.

The lower pour point of the PUP hints at higher quality base stock. The higher VI of the PUP is probably mostly due to the naturally high VI of the GTL base stock, and not more VII, so I'd consider it to be a good thing. I think PUP is the better oil.

Why not get a 5qt jug of each, try them and see if you or your vehicle can tell a difference. Then continue to use the one you think performs better. You probably won’t be able to tell any different between the 2

Unless you forgot to mention the Castrol Edge is the Gold Bottle 20k oil, then there is no close comparison.

If it's the black jug Castrol Edge, then it's closest competition with SOPUS oils is the Pennzoil Platinum.

hey all looking for recommendations between these two oils. Pennzoil ultra platinum 5w30 is on sale on amazon now for $27 ish and I can get Castrol Edge 5W30 at walmart for the same price so looking to compare which is the better buy

Castrol Edge 5w30 has the following

Density @ 15C: 0.85
Viscosity, Kinematic 100C : 10
Viscosity, Kinematic 40C : 57
Viscosity Index :164
Pour Point : -39
Flash Point : 225
Ash, Sulphated ASTM D874 % wt 0.78

while PUP 5w30 has the following:
Density kg/m3 : 841
Kinematic Viscosity 40°C : 56.3
Kinematic Viscosity @100°C :10.3
Flash Point °C : 203
Pour Point °C : -48
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 173

Edge has the higher flash point at 225 but a lower pour point at only -39
VI is also lower in 164

I watched the youtube video and PUP 5w30 apparently has a borate ester.
I know there is more to these oils compared to just the specs. Also I am not the best in comparing VI and pour point and flash etc

however which is the 'better' buy? OCI doesn't matter since I change it early anyways just looking for the most stouty oil

thanks
Both brands you listed seem to be reducing their anti-wear additives if you look at VOA's (Phosphorus+Zinc) and also reducing their detergent additives (Calcium). I always choose an oil based on it generous additive package of anti-wear and detergent additives.

Both brands you listed seem to be reducing their anti-wear additives if you look at VOA's (Phosphorus+Zinc) and also reducing their detergent additives (Calcium). I always choose an oil based on it generous additive package of anti-wear and detergent additives.
Such as?

@apollo18 PUP 5W-30 without even looking at Castrol. It's got superior anti-wear and fuel economy performance. It's formulated really well, and it uses GTL base stock, which is very clean.

That said, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40 and Quaker State Euro 5W-40 are even better options, if your engine works with them.

That doesn’t work, formulations using superior base oils often use fewer additives simply because they don’t need them to get the job done as well or better.

That’s why budget Grp III Quaker State appears to have a better add pack than Ultra.

That’s why budget Grp III Quaker State appears to have a better add pack than Ultra.
The Euro line in Quaker State's portfolio is all made of rebranded Shell Helix Ultra motor oils.

Basically Quaker State Euro 5W-40 is Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 - the same oil that some Ferraris ship with from the factory. At $22.95/jug it's an even better bargain than Mobil 1 FS 0W-40.

More expensive doesn't always mean better, and many motor oils in Shell's portfolio are proof of that.

The Euro line in Quaker State's portfolio is all made of rebranded Shell Helix Ultra motor oils.

Basically Quaker State Euro 5W-40 is Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 - the same oil that some Ferraris ship with from the factory. At $22.95/jug it's an even better bargain than Mobil 1 FS 0W-40.

More expensive doesn't always mean better, and many motor oils in Shell's portfolio are proof of that.

Definitely! And the reason the only oil I have stashed is QS Euro.

@apollo18 PUP 5W-30 without even looking at Castrol. It's got superior anti-wear and fuel economy performance. It's formulated really well, and it uses GTL base stock, which is very clean.

That said, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40 and Quaker State Euro 5W-40 are even better options, if your engine works with them.
Is Platinum euro just better due to being thicker and euro? Or is there a diff reason

Because I assumed the ultra would have more additives compared to the same with a diff brand but same oil weight

Back