Reasons For Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 Poor Flash Point ?

Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 has a flash point of 207 degrees C, while in comparison Mobil 1 5W30 has a higher flash point of 242 degrees C. That is a bit of a difference should you have an overheating problem in the summer - is this due to the gas to liquid process Pennzoil uses as compared to Mobil 1 ?

Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 has a flash point of 207 degrees C, while in comparison Mobil 1 5W30 has a higher flash point of 242 degrees C. That is a bit of a difference should you have an overheating problem in the summer - is this due to the gas to liquid process Pennzoil uses as compared to Mobil 1 ?

If your coolant is running over 400°F then you really have serious problems.

I would also look at SDS Sheets for both of the oils you mentioned. Are they both run using the same testing method. I have seen different Flash Point Numbers from what an oil company lists on there website versus the SDS Sheet.

Not measured the same. One uses ASTM D92, the other ASTM D93

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/flashpoint-testing-method-astm-d-92-vs-astm-d-93.60197/

1686260317220.png

1686260209783.png

posted 15+ years ago here
ASTM D-92 is the Cleveland Open Cup test. ASTM D-93 is the Pensky-Martens Closed Cup test. The closed-cup method prevents vapors from escaping and therefore usually results in a flash point that is a few degrees lower than in an open cup

expanding on that the D-93 is usually around 20c lower.

The QS FS 10W30 I have suggested for use with D.I. engines (in moderate temps) has a FP of 240degC (ASTM D 93)

Because "synthetic" that 5w30 is light oil mixed with goo and the 10W30 is thicker oil mixed with little-to-no goo.

Don't be fooled by the Platinum marketing moniker on some Shell products, it just means its for use with cars with catalytic converters that haven't been sawed off and stolen ... yet.

- Uncle Ken

🤣🤣🤣🤣

My brain is full. I’m out

Back