Amsoil SS and Ultra Platinum are same price...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get Amsoil Signature Series 0W30 and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 for the exact same price of $7.50 per quart shipped to my door.

Running Mobil 1 5W30 now, but have run Amsoil Signature Series 0W30 in the past. I haven't had any experience with Ultra Platinum as of yet.

I am waiting for my engine to break in more and to stop consuming oil before I make the switch.

Which one would you go with at the same price point?

Last edited:
Ultra is on rebate until the end of the month, $10 off 5 quarts.

And if you're lucky enough to be near a Walmart that carries Ultra, it's only 5-something per quart (about $28 for a jug).

Since you're interested in 0w30, have you considered M1 AFE or Castrol 0w30?

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Ultra is on rebate until the end of the month, $10 off 5 quarts.

And if you're lucky enough to be near a Walmart that carries Ultra, it's only 5-something per quart (about $28 for a jug).

Since you're interested in 0w30, have you considered M1 AFE or Castrol 0w30?

My local Walmart and other auto parts stores don't carry the Ultra Platinum, so I have to get it off ebay. I need 6 quarts for my engine.

Amsoil's best formula seems to be the 0W30 Signature Series, so that is why I have always stuck to that grade and mentioned it. I can run 0W30 or 5W30, but no thicker than 5W30. I wanted to go a step up from Mobil 1 and so far from what I am seeing Ultra Platinum is a step up from Mobil 1 and Amsoil Signature Series has always been the gold standard in synthetic motor oil.

So the cost of Amsoil SS 0W30 and Ultra Platinum would run me the same. If I went with Amsoil Signature Series 5W30, it would cost a bit less than the Ultra Platinum, but I really want to go with the Amsoil 0W30 grade. 0W30 can only help during cold starts.

Last edited:
Amsoil is a quality synthetic but not the gold standard. Also your info that PP(PP is also a quality synthetic) is step up from M1 is also not true.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Amsoil is a quality synthetic but not the gold standard. Also your info that PP(PP is also a quality synthetic) is step up from M1 is also not true.

Care to backup your statements?

Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
I can get Amsoil Signature Series 0W30 and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30 for the exact same price of $7.50 per quart shipped to my door.

Running Mobil 1 5W30 now, but have run Amsoil Signature Series 0W30 in the past. I haven't had any experience with Ultra Platinum as of yet.

I am waiting for my engine to break in more and to stop consuming oil before I make the switch.

Since your under warranty I'd run what the manufacture recommends? Amsoil is good but it might not meet the spec. Something happens your out of luck.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977

Since your under warranty I'd run what the manufacture recommends? Amsoil is good but it might not meet the spec. Something happens your out of luck.

Amsoil signature series 0W30 and 5W30 are both Dexos 1 approved now, so I am covered. As long as I use a Dexos 1 approved oil, GM can't void my warranty in the event of any engine failure. My owner's manual states that you can use any Dexos 1 approved 0W30 or 5W30 oil. Doesn't have to be AC Delco synthetic blend of Mobil 1.

Last edited:
Dont ever buy oil by the qt as this is a waste of money
Always get the jugs
I know how that sounds but it is a fact of life

Originally Posted By: ARB1977

Amsoil signature series 0W30 and 5W30 are both Dexos 1 approved now, so I am covered. As long as I use a Dexos 1 approved oil, GM can't void my warranty in the event of any engine failure. My owner's manual states that you can use any Dexos 1 approved 0W30 or 5W30 oil. Doesn't have to be AC Delco synthetic blend of Mobil 1.

Interesting, I don't see AMSOIL on the dexos approved list. I know it meets the dexos specification.

Dexos approved list

I don't think they are:

Originally Posted By: AMSOIL

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is excellent for use in all types of gasoline-fueled vehicles. It is recommended for all domestic and foreign vehicles requiring any of the listed performance specifications:

0W-30 (AZO): API SN (Resource Conserving), SM… ILSAC GF–5, GF-4… ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1; Chrysler MS-6395; Suitable as a replacement for GM dexos1™ (supersedes LL-A-025, 6094M and 4718M)

Also, neither appear on the Dexos 1 licensed list:

http://www.centerforqa.com/gm/dexos1-brands

They are both excellent oils, just keep in mind that you are likely relying on AMSOIL's warranty rather than GM's if you have a lubrication-related failure that GM can attribute to the oil, no matter how unlikely that actually is.

An example of an AMSOIL product with official manufacturer approvals:

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/mo.../?code=AFLQT-EA

Quote:
APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL European Car Formula Mid-SAPS Synthetic Motor Oil is formulated to meet or exceed the most demanding European specifications. It is recommended for European gasoline or diesel vehicles requiring any of the following performance specifications:

Manufacturer Approvals:
BMW Longlife-04
MB-Approval 229.51
Porsche A40

Recommended For:
ACEA C3
API SN/SM/CF...
Chrysler MS-10850 (supersedes MS-10896)
Ford WSS-M2C917-A
GM dexos2™ (supersedes LL-A-025 and LL-B-025)
Renault RN0700/RN0710
Volkswagen 502.00/505.01

Which shows up on the Mercedes approval list here:

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.51_en.html

Seeing as how you just spent $70,000+ on a car, why are you concerned at all with oil price?

Perhaps others here with more experience with Amsoil products can correct me if I am in error. but it is my understanding that, unless you are planning on extended oil change intervals (15,000 - 25,000 mile oci), you are wasting money with SS. Perhaps XL would be a much better choice. SS will not protect your engine any better than XL, unless you are planning on going beyond the 10,000 miles for which XL is recommended.

Originally Posted By: tig1

Care to backup your statements?

Like I said"Amsoil is a quality synthetic". No question about that. But to say it is "the gold standard of synthetic oil" tells me you think it is the best synthetic oil their is. Can you back up that statement?

My experience shows Amsoil to be the gold standard for extended drain. My UOA at 14k recommended I try 16k next time. I don't see many other oils holding up that well. I have used Dino and now GC since then so I'm not fanatic over it or anything. GM would have to prove the oil on the sump didn't meet their spec you don't have to prove it did. Paying to be on the list isn't a requirement of meeting the spec. How many engines die from the a bad oil spec anyway? None. Only from running out or not changing within a recommended time.

tig1,

Ok, what is the best synthetic oil out there if Amsoil is not considered top tier? Amsoil seems to hold up better than almost all synthetic oils out there for higher miles between oil changes. To me, that is the gold standard. I am still wondering why Pennzoil doesn't advertise more miles between oil changes with their Ultra Platinum like Amsoil does. They simply state to follow your OEM's guidelines on oil change intervals. Any oil is sufficient for the job going by OEM standards whether it be dino, synthetic blend or full synthetic. My car came factory fill with AC Delco synthetic blend. GM expects the synthetic blend to last thousands of miles between oil changes in a high performance engine with no issues and with no sludge build up. I still don't understand that! I dropped the factory fill at 1,754 miles and went Mobil 1 with an Amsoil filter.

ARB1977,

You are 100% right! I am still very early in my warranty and really don't want to risk anything happening that may put me in a court battle with GM to prove the oil I used superseded Dexos 1 spec, but wasn't on the Dexos 1 approved list. There is a big difference when I think about it. I just re-read the Amsoil data sheet and while it shows the Signature Series 0W30 and 5W30 oils supersedes Dexos 1 spec, it doesn't have the Dexos 1 logo and is NOT on the approved list of oils to run. While I am sure I will be safe to run Amsoil, it is best to avoid any potential issues.

Dallas69,

While I agree with you, I was able to get a case of Mobil 1 5W30 from Costco while they had their $10.00 off per case discount at $27.99 out the door for 6 quarts. When compared with Walmart's $25.17 plus tax 5 quart jug plus $7.74 per additional quart of Mobil 1 plus tax, I scored a better deal buying it by the quart at Costco. My engine takes 6 quarts, so I have to buy 6 quarts. If my engine took only 5 quarts, the 5 quart jugs would be perfect!! Usually, it is cheaper for the 5 quart jug, but not when Costco runs their quarterly deal on a case of Mobil 1 at $27.99 for 6 quarts.

Rat407,

Yes, thank you for the info. After reviewing all data again, I see that running Amsoil may put me at risk of getting any engine related repairs covered under warranty. This is why I really like being on this forum. Nothing, but a wealth of information from a lot of guys that know their stuff.

OVERKILL,

Yes, thank you for the info. Much appreciated. Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum are both on the Dexos 1 approval list. I don't have a Mercedes, so that approval list doesn't really help me much. I have to make sure I run a Dexos 1 approved oil.

Nick1994,

Yes, while the car wasn't cheap, my question to everyone here was since price is equal which oil would you go with? I am currently running Mobil 1 which is Dexos 1 approved and is much cheaper than the oils I was going to upgrade to. I was basically going to spend more money on oil, not cheap out on the oil.

BHopkins,

You made a very good point. I only plan on going around 5K OCIs with this engine to ensure there is always fresh clean oil and a new filter, so going Amsoil may be overkill. The Ultra Platinum may be the way to go since Pennzoil doesn't say how long you can go on the oil. They state to stick to the OEM OCIs and in my case, it's about 5K-6K miles before my oil life monitor tells me I need to change the oil. Since I drive the car pretty hard and in L.A. driving conditions, the oil life percentage seems to drop very quickly. I am still trying to see if there is any real advantage to going Ultra Platinum over Mobil 1. So far, the reviews I have read of Ultra Platinum from people that switched from Mobil 1 are very positive. Their cars run smoother and quieter overall.

yesthatsteve,

You can never have oil flow fast enough to the critical engine components up top fast enough. The thinner the oil at cold start, the better no matter where you live. I used to run Amsoil 0W30 here in L.A. on my previous LSA engines and noticed how the engine would quiet down faster during cold starts due to the thinner 0W oil.

RedOakRanch,

While, I agree with you, do I really want to take a chance? I am sure the Mobil 1 I am running right now is ok, but I am always looking at going with something better. I just don't know if Ultra Platinum is going to make the car run better, cooler and cleaner.

Last edited:
With so much concern over dexos I have always wanted to know how many times after a GM engine failed due to using a non dexos oil have people dumped their Amsoil, M1 0w-40 etc and threw some approved oil back in before going back to the dealer? Has anyone ever had a warranty claim denied for using a non approved oil, diesels with DPF excluded of course?

Re-read what I said about Amsoil. Like it's a quality synthetic oil! But so are other brands as well. As for M1 oils. I know several that run M1 for 15-20+K mile OCIs with very good results. So where do you find Amsoil is better than M1, PP, or others? A good quality synthetic like Amsoil, M1, PP should be good for long OCIs.

OVERKILL,

Yes, thank you for the info. Much appreciated. Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra Platinum are both on the Dexos 1 approval list. I don't have a Mercedes, so that approval list doesn't really help me much. I have to make sure I run a Dexos 1 approved oil.

My point wasn't that the Mercedes spec was relevant to your application, simply that AMSOIL displays their official approvals differently than their "recommended for" ones. The Mercedes/BMW/VW ones for their mid-SAPS 5w-40 is a good illustration of that, which is why I quoted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back