Amsoil Series 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay..Maybe I'm trolling, but I just wanted to say that Amsoil S2000 0w30 in the engine and S2000 75w90 in the trans/diffs is the sweetest combination ev4r in cold weather...
grin.gif

The shifting is awesome and the engine idles nicer when cold, and I swear I can feel less AWD parasitic drag. I'm not sure what other WRX owners are talking about when they say synthetic gear oil makes shifting hard...I'm also really looking forward to trying the new SevereGear oil they just came out with when the time comes to change..

Hey,

About 2 years ago when I bought my truck in the dead of winter here, I switched it over to Amsoil S2K 0w30. I've heard and seen other people bash this stuff and others who really like it, like myself for instance. I ran it for 7000 miles If I remember correctly and my UOA showed it thickened up well into the 40wt viscosity range. Would I pay the extra cash for it again?? Absolutely, would I run it year around?? Probably not. Good stuff,,,,,,AR

quote:

Originally posted by Airborne Ranger:
Hey,

About 2 years ago when I bought my truck in the dead of winter here, I switched it over to Amsoil S2K 0w30. I've heard and seen other people bash this stuff and others who really like it, like myself for instance. I ran it for 7000 miles If I remember correctly and my UOA showed it thickened up well into the 40wt viscosity range. Would I pay the extra cash for it again?? Absolutely, would I run it year around?? Probably not. Good stuff,,,,,,AR

Yep, I know it syn, but I wonder how good the cold starts are when it does it's thickening to a 40 wt. thing?? Good oil, but I'm not confident in it as Winter oil.

S2K is a good wear ruducing oil, no doubt, and the UOA numbers generally bear that out. It also appears to be quite resistant to oxidation. But Amsoil needs to get the thickening problem under control. It's simply unacceptable for an oil in that price range.

I ran this oil for 19k miles of summer hiway driving with a bypass filter and the visc climbed into the 50wt range!
shocked.gif
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001789 I can only imagine what would have happened if I didn't have the bypass filter and ran this oil the recommended 35k. 20W70 anyone?
rolleyes.gif

quote:

I wonder how good the cold starts are when it does it's thickening to a 40 wt. thing??

I did a very non-scientific freezer test with my 19k "Xw50" sample and the cold viscosity still appeared to be quite good.

[ October 26, 2004, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: olympic ]

quote:

Originally posted by olympic:
S2K is a good wear ruducing oil, no doubt, and the UOA numbers generally bear that out. It also appears to be quite resistant to oxidation. But Amsoil needs to get the thickening problem under control. It's simply unacceptable for an oil in that price range.

Funny how Mobil 1R behaves the same way. Perhaps this is how race oils are formulated to never shear down but only thicken for protection at high temperatures.

At what point does it thicken? I'm driving a WRX and have a turbo of course, so at how many miles should I expect the viscosity increase?

The max you would go with the turbo and S2K is probably 10K miles. The S2K may thicken a bit in that interval, but at no sacrify to wear. I would do a UOA at 7.5K max to see what's going on. Less than that it's probably not worth the cost.

If I were you, I would go with the Severe Gear when warmer weather hits.

The Series 2000 has been known to be too slick to allow Subaru synchros, which prefer friction, to work properly. It probably won't be a problem in cold weather and if you don't shift too quickly.

If you're in AK, it might not be a concern for you though.
smile.gif

-Dennis

Yeah...I've read the extensive threads on WRX boards regarding synchro issues with synthetic lube. Most end up having problems with a pure synthetic and tout GM Synchromesh as the answer. The thing is, I'm not having any problems at all shifting with the s2000. I really just think that the Subaru 5MT is not a transmission for those who are manual-impaired, which unfortunately probably includes 80% of the WRX demographic.

Ever seen someone drop the clutch on an AWD at 6k RPM on dry pavement just so they can beat the Mustang next to them from the light? Then they complain that the transmission is weak...
pat.gif

EDIT> Thanks for the info, Pablo..I was afraid I'd see thickening before 6,000 mi. I'll probably only run it to around 5k, anyway. That's the farthest I've been able to go before changing. Like alot of other people, I suffer from the delusion that the car feels somehow dirty after about 4k on the same oil.

[ October 27, 2004, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: 45Logic ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back