Amsoil guy...Switchin to M1 or PU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
well my car has 157k (2001 Acura TL) my engine runs like a champ and still butter smooth. I have been using Amsoil in it forever, either 5w30 ASL or 0w30 SSO or TSO.

No I just dont want to spend $65+ on the oil change.

I see Advnce auto and Autozone have M1 or PU deals for like $35 or so. What should I get, I hear that PU has alot of cleaning agents, with all the miles on my car I am sure there is some gunk stuck somewere in the engine. Would it be more harmful to put that oil in my car if its going to break it up??? I once again feel like a noob...

Amsoil probably kept it pretty clean. If you switch, I would go with Ultra or even Pennzoil Platinum... I know Honda/Acura engines run great on PP.

Last edited:
Either or will work great both are fine synthetics and both have great cleaning capability's,buy who's cheaper or the better combo deal your looking for.

Unless you were grossly negligent on the oil change intervals, I doubt that there is ANY gunk in your engine.
All that 'cleaning agents hogwash' is good marketing/advertising as all oils have them a lot of cleaning agents!

Buy ANY full synthetic oil that you want to use and keep driving. Nothing will be harmful and there isn't anything that is going to break up that didn't while using the Amsoil.

Have you considered becoming Amsoil Preferred Customer?

how long were you leaving the Amsoil in....I thought the idea was to leave it in for a longer interval and then the expense was balanced by OCI???

I would stay with Amsoil...was it burning oil?

I feel like i have forgotten about the key points of Amsoil but I thought that it was an ester based syn that will keep your engine cleaner than with Pennzoil synths?.....can someone else confirm this? thanks...

If you are not running the Amsoil double the length of M1/PP then I'd switch to M1 or PP. It is up to you. One thing I would try and do thou is keep with a single oil. I know switching back and forth isn't bad but to keep everything happy and to eliminate any diagnostic issues if you have an issue with the motor.

I use to be a prefered customer, and no oil burning. I leave the oil in for 10k.

OK, so no oil burning, left it in for 10K...the SSO and ASL are extended drain oils...beyond Mobil 1s' 15K, why not use the SSO, try it at 15K and do an oil analysis, if that comes up good, go even further toward the rated 25K or 1 year drain interval...i have done it with our Honda....its never run better! admitadly, i have not done an oil analysis...will do next chance i get....why not do one on your 10K oil as and when you drain it?

I know it feels crazy to do this but we gotta push thru the paranoia we have been given from the classic 3k drain interval....im not saying that its wrong, just that its now not the only way....even if you changed the filter half way at 7500 miles, you would still be saving money?

ultimately, its your car and your choice. I like Acuras...nice motor!

IMO...You could also run some PYB for a couple of OCI's if you just want a really great cleaning oil.

After the two runs of PYB, then switch to whatever synthetic oil that you find at a great deal.

You can pick up 2, 5 Quart jugs at Walmart for $14.50 each....less than the price of 1 OCI with synthetic. You also have the option of staying with PYB or another quality Dino oil of your choice.

Last edited:
I don't think that the new M1 EP has hit many stores yet. They are bleeding stock and switching to only 5w30 and 5w50. They are surely going to put that it is a 20K oil on the bottle if they can as it is a good selling point. Either way just go for the premium oil and filter deal of the month at AAP or AZ when you see an oil you like. They are all pretty good ie. Edge, PP, PU, M1EP etc.

10k on SSO is a waste...I run 20k in my wifes truck on SSO with a EAO filter and Blackstone says there is still life in it, I had one top off at 10k. Who ever said Mobil1 EP is on par with SSO you are totally wacked, I was going to switch to EP and try to save some money, I toped off 1qt at 10k same as Amsoil and at 15k sent a sample to Blackstone and the report said Ewwwwwww change your oil...lol.

Dont get me wrong I run the Amsoil in my wifes truck but I run Mobil1 EP in my truck and like it but I change it at 10k.

I might try switching my truck to Castrol Edge I have been hearing good things about that oil, however my wifes truck I will continue to use SSO for the simple fact that I only have to do one oil change a year.

If you like changing your oil more often then switch to something else otherwise I would run SSO to 15k get a sample done and if it looks good push it to 20k...use a EAO filter with it and you wont have to change filters in the middle of a run.

OH PS: 152,000 miles on her truck now and we took the motor apart to install an performance camshaft and upgraded intake and other mods and her motor was super clean with 20k oil changes...all this Penzoil clean sludge [censored] is propaganda, any oil now days will keep your motor clean as long as you change it before it is spent!

Last edited:
I would stick with Amsoil and push your oci a bit. I'm not one to have a ton of oil sitting around, so waiting for M1 to go on sale is a non starter for me, especially when the price for amsoil with the preferred discount isn't bad at all. I like M1, but in every instance where I've used it (motorcycle, transmissions, differentials, engines) I've found Amsoil performed better. Not typically orders of magnitude better mind you, but enough of a difference for me to want to keep using it.

Its obviously bothering you that you spend so much on each oil change. Going 10k is getting a bit of your moneys worth, but either the M1 , PP, Or PU will be good for 10k in that engine in for a year or so.

I would buy whichever one is on sale with a filter combo, or if you want the 5 qt jugs i would probably pick PP/PU over vanilla M1.

Amsoil is a terrific product. We used to buy it in cases.

Now we simply choose whatever name brand synth that is on sale.

They're all pretty darn good.

Originally Posted By: disturban

...I run 20k in my wifes truck on SSO with a EAO filter and Blackstone says there is still life in it

Can you share that with us?

Not to slam Amsoil, They make great products. But you can go to Wallyworld Buy most any synthetic oil and filter foraround $35 or so. Why spend $65 on an oil change. Even if you're a PC you still have to factor in the shipping cost. Just my 2cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back