Amsoil & Certifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: nepadriver

Well, with that, couldn't it be safely assumed a small company doesn't have hundreds of thousands of dollars laying around year after year to get ever changing certs?

The cost for certification testing is usually shared with the additive and base oil suppliers who compete for the business. I don't think the issue is a company's decision to not test against full specifications. The issue is should a company list a specification on its label if it did not fully test against the spec to prove compliance.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Originally Posted By: nepadriver

Well, with that, couldn't it be safely assumed a small company doesn't have hundreds of thousands of dollars laying around year after year to get ever changing certs?

The cost for certification testing is usually shared with the additive and base oil suppliers who compete for the business. I don't think the issue is a company's decision to not test against full specifications. The issue is should a company list a specification on its label if it did not fully test against the spec to prove compliance.

Tom NJ

Obviously folks using their SS oils aren't 'at risk'.
35.gif

and if they think they are, use their 'cheaper' products which are API certified.

banana2.gif

PS: Thanks for the clarification on the spec requirements. I forgot PQIA recently tested the ASL, right?

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
PS: Thanks for the clarification on the spec requirements. I forgot PQIA recently tested the ASL, right?

They tested the Signature Series - I don't know if that is the same as ASL.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

They tested the Signature Series - I don't know if that is the same as ASL.

Tom NJ

Amsoil 5W-30 Signature Series is product coded "ASL"

They are one in the same.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

But it doesn't meet ALL the same specs, just most of them.

Nobody has a product that goes toe-to-toe with M1 0w40 cert-wise, nobody. It stands alone.

PU 5w-40:
Ferrari

Porsche A40
Mercedes Benz 229.5 and 229.3
VW 502 00 and 505 00
VW/Audi 503 01
Fiat 9.55535 Z2

BMW LL-01
Chrysler MS-10725
Exceeds the requirements of ACEA A3/B3/B4
Exceeds the requirements of API SM/CF and previous categories

M1 0w-40:
API SN/SM/SL/SJ
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
Nissan GT-R
Mercedes Benz 229.3 and 229.5
BMW LL-01
VW 502 00 and 505 00
PORSCHE A40

M1 0w-40 also mentions SAAB, OPEL, and FIAT specs, but does not have their official approval which to me is as valuable as Amsoil saying "recommended for..."

So the way I read it, PU 5w-40 actually has more official approvals than M1 0w-40.

I think you mean where they mention:

Quote:

According to ExxonMobil, Mobil 1 0W40 is of the following quality:
API CF
SAAB
OPEL Long Life Service Fill GM-LL-A-025
OPEL Diesel Service Fill GM-LL-B-025
FIAT FIAT 9.55535 - M2
FIAT FIAT 9.55535 - N2
FIAT FIAT 9.55535 - Z2

?

Not sure why that is worded different but I don't think it is the same as "recommended for...."

And if we include the list above, of course M1 0w40's list is a lot longer. And as you know, I was including the above list when making the statement I made.

Thanks OVERKILL for the link but,
SAAB(Obsolete it was GM-LL-A-025 or A3 from what I have read on SAAB) Who is left to certify SAAB oils?
OPEL Long Life Service Fill GM-LL-A-025(Obsolete Replaced by DEXOS-1 Mobil 0W40 is not certified or licensed)
OPEL Diesel Service Fill GM-LL-B-025(Obsolete Replaced by DEXOS-2 normal Mobil 0W40 not certified or licensed)

Fiat 9.55535-M2 Qualification for lubricants with extended drain. OEM recommended product also meets ACEA B3-04/B4-04, GM-LL-B-025.
Fiat 9.55535-N2 Qualification for lubricants with a very good characteristics for turbocharged engines, Diesel and gasoline, with extended drain. Minimum requirement is ACEA A3/B4-04.

So does this mean this is Fiat's input for ACEA? Because on every Fiat product I have read that is Fiat 9.55535-XX
Is not available ACEA A3/B4 oils are acceptable?

That's a good question Dave (regarding the Fiat certs), I'm not sure
21.gif

I'm also wondering when the Saab and Opel certs actually expire due to them being obsoleted by "Dexos, the fresh-maker".

To make this even more confusing, we don't get the same SN version of M1 0w40 that you guys get south of the border. We continue to get the SM version that has the 13 certs (obsolete or not for some of them) on it.

However, we can make this even more fun now, because it appears Mobil has updated their US PDS!!

We've now got:

Quote:
AVTOVAZ (LADA cars) AAE B6

and

Quote:
Lexus LFA

listed under builder approvals.
grin.gif

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.aspx

It must be because a Fiat rep called me about 10 minutes also and he was not sure, but said he would get back to me.

This is what is on the Dexos site.
dexos™ is recommended by GM for use in all its vehicles except those with Duramax diesel engines requiring the use of API CJ-4 engine oil. dexos™ is fully backward-compatible and can be used in older vehicles. It is specified in the owner's manual for all 2011 and later model years, with the exception of Europe where dexos™ is specified starting in model year 2010.

dexos1™ is designed for use with gasoline engines and replaces GM-LL-A-025, GM6094M and GM4718M

dexos2™ is designed for use with light-duty diesel engines and replaces GM-LL-B-025 and GM-LL-A-025

As for the LFA the factory fill is/was M-1 5W50?

For AVTOVAZ (LADA cars) AAE B6 who know what this means? I can not find anything that I can read my Russian is not very good and all that I understand is a picture of Mobil One jugs. How much did XOM pay off AVTOVAZ for this marketing?
But if you visit Russian oil distributors websites M-1 New Life is the name in the 0W40 varity there and it does not meet AVTOAZ specs but the 5W30 ESP AvtoVAZ Group "Luxe".

index.ph...attach_id=27825
index.ph...attach_id=27824

index.ph...attach_id=27823

this is my owners manual for my 2011 gmc, can you tell me were it mentions dexos

Last edited:
did you look at my linked pictures of my 2011 gmc owners manual? You said dexos is specified in the owner's manual for all 2011 and later model years. no where in my "2011" gm om is dexos "specified" or mentioned, but what ever.

Personally, I thought it was 2012 for dexos1 in North America, but Dave may be right. In either case, it's up to you what you buy and put in the crankcase. Dave won't search your owner's manual for you and I won't assist in any potential battles with GM over warranty claims.

Originally Posted By: jimmy87
did you look at my linked pictures of my 2011 gmc owners manual? You said dexos is specified in the owner's manual for all 2011 and later model years. no where in my "2011" gm om is dexos "specified" or mentioned, but what ever.

No get someone from GM to do it. I copied that information from http://www.gmdexos.com/aboutdexos.html.

I'm not asking dave to go through my owners manual, the link is right there, no pages to flip through! Dave your right, your obviously not a gm rep. Garak who is asking you to assist me in potential battles with GM over warranty claims, I sure am not. Even if dave is right about dexos/2011, It doesnt make sense to get someone from GM to look at my om, It's your post (dave) not GM's. Just trying to imply that maybe people should be more sensable before they go coping and pasting [censored] just to look good. But hey lets leave the dead horse alone and agree to disagree.

No I will copy any information I want. If you have a problem what I am posting from GM, take the issue up from GM. Forbid GM to put out contradicting information on their oil licensing program.

I would like to check on PU's most update certs, but for the last 2 nights Shell's lube match site has been down for "routine maintenance". I hope this "routine maintenance" resolves the TDS issues when trying to obtain the information from the Pennzoil site.

ok dave your right I'm wrong. Your right because you know how to copy and paste, your right because you have a 2011 gmc with a 2011 gm owners manual, and your right because your not someone from GM. Enjoy your ride on the dead horse dave, good night try not to loose any sleep over DEXOS.

MY horse isn't dead but yours is, Why do I need to get another OM or even look at YOUR link. I bought a 2011 gmc and it came with an OM. I'm not you, I don't go around believing every on the internet, once agian I'll pass on your bogus manual.

That is really funny. "Bogus" manual from GMC, OK. I bid you a good day! Between Garak posting about my first car to you unable to accept that I was able to locate more information about your truck and you not being able to accept that, you both have provided me with invaluable laughter. Thank you.

But owners manuals are updated throughout the model year and maybe you have a earlier edition.

ok dave I'll see you on the next thread, Can't wait to see what type of stuff you copy and paste next. I understand manuals can be updated, and believe me I'm running dexos as you may or may not know from previous threads. I had the last laugh you got sucked into my posts, did some extra research for me, all ready new all that info and I accept it, was just pulling your leg.

oh and by the way don't thank me thank your recruiter! Don't be a joke, don't let people get the best of you, It was to easy DAVE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back