Oil Spec STJLR 51.5122

Thank you for the details!
VW 508.00/509.00 is not the best approval. MB 229.71 is hands-down the best.

Ultimately, how premium an oil is determined by its resistance to oxidation, which in turn determines its performance in virtually all areas, especially the longevity and deposits. That said, MB specs champion oxidative performance with a plethora of tests. In comparison, VW specs have minimal tests for oxidative performance.

One common feature of these oils is that their ZDDP content is around 850–900 ppm, which is higher than the ILSAC limit of 800 ppm. That's why they don't get ILSAC approval and why they are not recommended for American and Japanese cars, which put emphasis on emissions and catalytic-converter endurance.
Castrol Edge EP 0W20 carries the MB229.71 and C5 which is safe for the catalyst.

408Stang, the current JLR specification for the 0W-20 oil is STJLR.03.5006. It superseded the previous spec back in 2018. That may be why you are unable to find it. I bought the newest spec oil at the dealership parts department back in November. The part # is 15DA2C and it was $12.95 a quart although with today's petroleum prices it is undoubtedly higher. I checked with Castrol and they told me that oil was only available through dealerships and not sold through any online suppliers like Amazon, etc. (unless they happen to be a Jaguar dealer anyway).

Maybe check again and ask for the newest oil ?

I have a 2021 Jaguar F Type R with the supercharged V8. I too agree that the manufacturer recommendation of 15,000 mile OCI's is ridiculous. I changed out the factory fill on my car at around 2750 miles. You can read the Blackstone report here:

One thing of note is the higher than expected titanium content and lower than expected moly content. Otherwise I'll bet the special Castrol Edge Professional EC5 oil that is sold exclusively at Jaguar dealerships is the same oil as their Edge Professional oil but with different moly and titanium percentages.

So JLR's engineers feel that high titanium content is beneficial to their engines. How do the other oils recommended in this thread compare with that ingredient ?

As part of the warranty, Jaguar does free oil and filter changes yearly for the first 5 years. Which for me means about a 5000 mile interval. They use bulk oil.

Here is a link to the Castrol Edge Professional EC5 0W-20 Data Sheet:

Last edited:
408Stang, the current JLR specification for the 0W-20 oil is STJLR.03.5006. It superseded the previous spec back in 2018. That may be why you are unable to find it. I bought the newest spec oil at the dealership parts department back in November. The part # is 15DA2C and it was $12.95 a quart although with today's petroleum prices it is undoubtedly higher. I checked with Castrol and they told me that oil was only available through dealerships and not sold through any online suppliers like Amazon, etc. (unless they happen to be a Jaguar dealer anyway).

Maybe check again and ask for the newest oil ?

I have a 2021 Jaguar F Type R with the supercharged V8. I too agree that the manufacturer recommendation of 15,000 mile OCI's is ridiculous. I changed out the factory fill on my car at around 2750 miles. You can read the Blackstone report here:

One thing of note is the higher than expected titanium content and lower than expected moly content. Otherwise I'll bet the special Castrol Edge Professional EC5 oil that is sold exclusively at Jaguar dealerships is the same oil as their Edge Professional oil but with different moly and titanium percentages.

So JLR's engineers feel that high titanium content is beneficial to their engines. How do the other oils recommended in this thread compare with that ingredient ?

As part of the warranty, Jaguar does free oil and filter changes yearly for the first 5 years. Which for me means about a 5000 mile interval. They use bulk oil.

Here is a link to the Castrol Edge Professional EC5 0W-20 Data Sheet:

VI = 203 is very high, but it could be due to high POE content, as my calculator (linked above) suggests a very high base-oil VI = 171 but a moderate VII content of 4.3%.

I doubt these Euro-OEM-approved oils are any better than their premium ILSAC counterparts like the Castrol Edge Extended Performance. The main difference is slightly higher ZDDP content for the former, which is probably a bad thing from the emissions-system-endurance perspective. They may also lack a modern Ca–Mg mixed detergent because there is no ILSAC/API approval and they are still based on the outdated ACEA C5 category, which has been replaced by the ACEA C6 category that requires a modern Ca–Mg mixed detergent.

I am searching for the holy grail of 0W-20 synthetics for my JLR 5.0 SC V8 that calls for STJLR 51.5122. I believe Castrol EDGE Professional E C5 0W-20 is the JLR dealer oil but some of the more attractive alternatives are Castrol Edge Extended-Performance (EP) 0W-20 SP (-39C PP which isn't impressive) and Valvoline European Vehicle Full Synthetic 0W-20. Others that caught my attention are RAVENOL Eco Synth ECS SAE 0W-20 and MOTUL SPECIFIC 5122 0W-20.

My JLR 5.0 SC V8 has increased output (600hp) and is often used to tow a trailer. Oil change cost, marginal fuel efficiency gains or long OCIs aren't on my radar, only engine longevity and hopefully low Noack. Maybe this means I should consider a 0W-30?

MOFT always wins.
I found this.

"This whole thing about better flow being more beneficial is bunk information. MOFT is how lubrication protects parts. If low viscosity flow is king for protection against wear, then why haven't we been running straight 0 weight oil for the past twenty years? Because we need thicker MOFT than that to prevent contact and wear between moving parts, not just flow."

Last edited:
I am searching for the holy grail of 0W-20 synthetics for my JLR 5.0 SC V8 that calls for STJLR 51.5122. I believe Castrol EDGE Professional E C5 0W-20 is the JLR dealer oil but some of the more attractive alternatives are Castrol Edge Extended-Performance (EP) 0W-20 SP (-39C PP which isn't impressive) and Valvoline European Vehicle Full Synthetic 0W-20. Others that caught my attention are RAVENOL Eco Synth ECS SAE 0W-20 and MOTUL SPECIFIC 5122 0W-20.

My JLR 5.0 SC V8 has increased output (600hp) and is often used to tow a trailer. Oil change cost, marginal fuel efficiency gains or long OCIs aren't on my radar, only engine longevity and hopefully low Noack. Maybe this means I should consider a 0W-30?

Anything matching the JLR spec will include the fuel economy test. If you want the best protection, you want to go outside of that spec, IMO.

I'm running Liqui Moly 6600 in my LR4 right now, not doing much driving since Thanksgiving and the truck will sit 2-3 days at a time until Summer. Going to switch to something beefy then for camping/offroad and long road trips. Maybe a 0w40, something with a Porsche A40 spec, so an ACEA A3 oil.

Last edited:
Anything matching the JLR spec will include the fuel economy test. If you want the best protection, you want to go outside of that spec, IMO.

I'm running Liqui Moly 6600 in my LR4 right now, not doing much driving since Thanksgiving and the truck will sit 2-3 days at a time until Summer. Going to switch to something beefy then for camping/offroad and long road trips. Maybe a 0w40, something with a Porsche A40 spec, so an ACEA A3 oil.

Fuel economy, in as much as a different oil will influence it, isn't on my radar for this vehicle. I will expand my search to 0W-30 oils.

Fuel economy, in as much as a different oil will influence it, isn't on my radar for this vehicle. I will expand my search to 0W-30 oils.
HT/HS is important here and little importance with the winter rating. That and the other benefits of meeting stringent approval requirements.

HT/HS is important here and little importance with the winter rating. That and the other benefits of meeting stringent approval requirements.
Most of the approval is just fuel economy and extended drain intervals, no?

I really feel like HTHS is not a big deal on these motors, since the failures are occurring on both trucks that just idle around town with nannies dropping off and picking up kids from school, AND on 5.0SC F-Types that are on the track. If these motors were having oiling failures due to HTHS, it would be much more heavily weighted towards the cars that were beaten on. In fact, I'd say the lazier driven vehicles have more failures... but thats from anecdotal internet information gathering. So the real question here on these AJV8s (and SCV6s) is timing chain wear. Does this motor need a thinner oil to flow through the oil/guide passages, or a thicker one to lift/fill the timing chain guides? The LM 6600 and "spec" JLR Castrol (both 0w20) flow similar at 40C 43 and 42mm^2/s.

Mobil1 X2 5w50 is a crazy 104.3mm^2/s.

Or is the failure of the timing chain guides more directly related to over-extended (10k+ manufacturer recommended) drain intervals and not oil type? What kind of fuel dilution are we seeing on 10k+ intervals? We don't really know, because no one is going to risk their motor for this sort of thing, and I don't know any JLR techs that will do a UOA for giggles.

And thus down the BITOG rabbit hole we go, where we can speculate til we are blue in the face but come up with the only truth we know, which is just to change your oil and change it often.

I read this thread and I have to say that I'm more confused than ever. I've been using Mobile 1 ESP X2 0W-20 in my Jaguar F-Type for a couple of years now. It's about twice the price of regular Mobile 1 0W-20, but half the price of the oil one can get at the Jaguar / Land Rover dealership. I started using the Mobile 1 ESP X2 0W-20 specifically because Jaguar / Land Rover's STJLR.51.5122 specification was listed on the bottle. After buying some oil last week, I happened to look at the back of one of the bottles and found that the aforementioned specification was missing. I went to Mobil's website and found the same. I called Mobil's customer service to find out why. They guy that I spoke with said that they had removed the specification, but those who did so didn't provide further information. Any idea why Mobil would drop the specification? Are they saying that the oil never really met the specification to begin with or did they change something about the formulation that causes it to no longer meet the specification?

ESPx2-bottles.jpg

I read this thread and I have to say that I'm more confused than ever. I've been using Mobile 1 ESP X2 0W-20 in my Jaguar F-Type for a couple of years now. It's about twice the price of regular Mobile 1 0W-20, but half the price of the oil one can get at the Jaguar / Land Rover dealership. I started using the Mobile 1 ESP X2 0W-20 specifically because Jaguar / Land Rover's STJLR.51.5122 specification was listed on the bottle. After buying some oil last week, I happened to look at the back of one of the bottles and found that the aforementioned specification was missing. I went to Mobil's website and found the same. I called Mobil's customer service to find out why. They guy that I spoke with said that they had removed the specification, but those who did so didn't provide further information. Any idea why Mobil would drop the specification? Are they saying that the oil never really met the specification to begin with or did they change something about the formulation that causes it to no longer meet the specification?

ESPx2-bottles.jpg
It means when they reformulated it to meet API SP they may not have renewed the JLR approval, but it now lists a dexos license number, lol.

Is your jag still under warranty? Because it looks like beyond being updated to have dexos and SP, the oil still carries the other approvals (VW, Porsche, Mercedes) so I suspect its performance, if anything, has only improved.

It means when they reformulated it to meet API SP they may not have renewed the JLR approval, but it now lists a dexos license number, lol.

Is your jag still under warranty? Because it looks like beyond being updated to have dexos and SP, the oil still carries the other approvals (VW, Porsche, Mercedes) so I suspect its performance, if anything, has only improved.
Yep.

It seems odd that it no longer meets the specification because of API SP. I would have thought that once an oil is good for a specification, that it would always be good. In other words, I assumed backwards compatibility. I apparently was wrong.

Please excuse my ignorance. What is a dexos license number and why is that funny?

My F-Type is a 2017 that was manufactured in February of 2016. It was under warranty for five years. Jaguar did "free" oil changes once a year while it was under warranty. Since then I have to do it myself or pay for the $300 stealership rape. I'm not a cheapo, but there's no way that I'm going to pay $300 for an oil change. Plus, this car is literally the easiest car to change the oil of any that I've ever done. You don't even have to get under it.

I guess that my ultimate question is what oil I should use now.

It seems odd that it no longer meets the specification because of API SP. I would have thought that once an oil is good for a specification, that it would always be good. In other words, I assumed backwards compatibility. I apparently was wrong.
Not odd at all, there's usually a test, and fee, to re-license the product after a formulation change, these approvals aren't evergreen. That doesn't mean the product doesn't meet, or exceed, the performance requirements for the JLR approval, it may simply be that Mobil didn't bother to renew it, the reason for which could simply be that demand was too low to bother.
Please excuse my ignorance. What is a dexos license number and why is that funny?
Means it's licensed and approved for GM applications, it's an additional approval that's been added to the oil, while the JLR one was dropped.
My F-Type is a 2017 that was manufactured in February of 2016. It was under warranty for five years. Jaguar did "free" oil changes once a year while it was under warranty. Since then I have to do it myself or pay for the $300 stealership rape. I'm not a cheapo, but there's no way that I'm going to pay $300 for an oil change. Plus, this car is literally the easiest car to change the oil of any that I've ever done. You don't even have to get under it.

I guess that my ultimate question is what oil I should use now.
Since you are out of warranty, I don't see a reason not to continue using this oil, since it still meets all the other approvals it carried before.

Back