Oil Spec STJLR 51.5122

That's debatable. From a performance standpoint, we don't know how much the JLR standard overlaps with the others on this label.
It looks like it's just an evolution of Ford WSS M2C 925 A according to Motul:
Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 12.22.14 PM.png

This is from AMSOIL, which also seems to support this, being basically the 0W-xx evolution of the Ford spec and JLR engines can use either or:
Screen Shot 2023-02-13 at 12.26.01 PM.jpg

If we drop ourselves into the Ford WSS-M2C-925A black hole, I think I'd end up settling on a WSS-M2C913-D spec. Motul ECO-nergy 5w30 is a pretty sweet spot between the "accepted" 0w20 LR spec's numbers and molasses-thick 5w50s. They make a specific 913D oil but you can't get that stateside easily. This oil also carries STJLR.03.5003, and is $50 a liter from amazon, so not expensive.

Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 7.52.38 AM.png

The 913D is a ROW spec, so it's a little hard to find anything stateside that carries it, but this Motul seems like good juice. I'm gonna try this at my next change in the LR4.

One of the posts here said the MB229.71 spec is THE spec to beat.

The Amsoil "EQT" 0W-20 European Synthetic carries the MB229.71 and BMW LL-17FE+ spec.

Would that be better for my Jaguar than Amsoil's "EZT" 0W-20 European Synthetic that carries the VW 508.00/509.00 approval?

BTW, I love the depth of information here.. I recently checked with my Jag dealership again, and they still don't have quart bottles of 0W-20 Castrol Edge Professional E available, so I've got to find a great alternative, and I want to stick with Amsoil.

I also agree with everyone's posts about OCI's.. I'm never going to let my jag get to 16k for an oil change. Once I find a good alternative it will be 5k.

The Amsoil "EQT" 0W-20 European Synthetic carries the MB229.71 and BMW LL-17FE+ spec.

Would that be better for my Jaguar than Amsoil's "EZT" 0W-20 European Synthetic that carries the VW 508.00/509.00 approval?

BTW, I love the depth of information here.. I recently checked with my Jag dealership again, and they still don't have quart bottles of 0W-20 Castrol Edge Professional E available, so I've got to find a great alternative, and I want to stick with Amsoil.

I also agree with everyone's posts about OCI's.. I'm never going to let my jag get to 16k for an oil change. Once I find a good alternative it will be 5k.
Just to be clear the EQT has no manufacturer approvals unlike some of their products. You can ask Amsoil if it’s better or PM Pablo.

Also which one is it that has VW 508 00 approval?

Last edited:

Amsoil is mostly off my radar but in the search for an oil with the highest levels of engine wear protection this is an interesting question.

Any thoughts on using EQT 0W-20 synthetic with MB229.71 approval in the JLR 5.0 V8?

My next oil change is coming up soon and still wondering if Amsoil AEQT 0W-20 synthetic with MB229.71 approval might be a good choice for my situation? My JLR 5.0 SC V8 has increased output (600hp) and is often used to tow a trailer. Oil change cost, marginal fuel efficiency gains and long OCIs aren't on my radar, only engine longevity and hopefully low Noack.

My next oil change is coming up soon and still wondering if Amsoil AEQT 0W-20 synthetic with MB229.71 approval might be a good choice for my situation? My JLR 5.0 SC V8 has increased output (600hp) and is often used to tow a trailer. Oil change cost, marginal fuel efficiency gains and long OCIs aren't on my radar, only engine longevity and hopefully low Noack.
I went ahead with the Amsoil EQT 0W20 in my Jag F-PACE S (Supercharged 3.0L). Used a genuine JLR filter (C2D3670) I think the engine sounds quieter. It's most noticeable at idle in the garage. I'm not talking about exhaust noise, just the general engine noise under the hood.

Amsoil is mostly off my radar but in the search for an oil with the highest levels of engine wear protection this is an interesting question.

Any thoughts on using EQT 0W-20 synthetic with MB229.71 approval in the JLR 5.0 V8?
Which product has that approval?

My 2021 F Type is still under warranty and therefore gets yearly free oil & filter changes at the dealership. I had it in a few months ago for the annual service and while I was there I asked the parts department for a quart of the Castrol Edge Professional EC5 0W-20 oil which is the special formula that Castrol makes for Land Rover/Jaguar. What they had was Castrol Edge Professional 0W-20 oil that has a notation on the label that it meets VW/Porsche specifications.

From what I can tell, Castrol no longer makes the EC5 formula and I assume the bulk oil that the service department used was the standard Castrol Edge Professional synthetic. Castrol did not respond to my inquiry regarding availability of the EC5 formula which used to be only sold through JLR dealerships.

What I can say is that I had a Blackstone analysis done of the factory fill oil at around 2750 miles and it showed much lower levels of Moly than the universal averages and much higher levels of Titanium. Castrol makes a big deal about their Edge Professional oil containing "liquid Titanium" on the bottle labels. And apparently JLR feels the levels of Moly and Titanium should be what they were for their V8 supercharged engines.

I have requested a sample kit from Blackstone and am going to send in a sample of the VW/Porsche specification oil that I received from the JLR dealership for a virgin oil analysis. I will post the test results here on BITOG in the appropriate section.
If it has similar levels of Moly and Titanium as the original EC5 formula I'll sleep easily. If not, I'll have some concerns about what the dealership service department is putting in their customers vehicles.

My 2021 F Type is still under warranty and therefore gets yearly free oil & filter changes at the dealership. I had it in a few months ago for the annual service and while I was there I asked the parts department for a quart of the Castrol Edge Professional EC5 0W-20 oil which is the special formula that Castrol makes for Land Rover/Jaguar. What they had was Castrol Edge Professional 0W-20 oil that has a notation on the label that it meets VW/Porsche specifications.

From what I can tell, Castrol no longer makes the EC5 formula and I assume the bulk oil that the service department used was the standard Castrol Edge Professional synthetic. Castrol did not respond to my inquiry regarding availability of the EC5 formula which used to be only sold through JLR dealerships.

What I can say is that I had a Blackstone analysis done of the factory fill oil at around 2750 miles and it showed much lower levels of Moly than the universal averages and much higher levels of Titanium. Castrol makes a big deal about their Edge Professional oil containing "liquid Titanium" on the bottle labels. And apparently JLR feels the levels of Moly and Titanium should be what they were for their V8 supercharged engines.

I have requested a sample kit from Blackstone and am going to send in a sample of the VW/Porsche specification oil that I received from the JLR dealership for a virgin oil analysis. I will post the test results here on BITOG in the appropriate section.
If it has similar levels of Moly and Titanium as the original EC5 formula I'll sleep easily. If not, I'll have some concerns about what the dealership service department is putting in their customers vehicles.

Moly is just one additive, boron zinc phosphorus and TI in Castrols case does a similar job.
I would not be too concerned. Just find an oil with high moly next time if that is what your prefer.
Doubt JLR-spec even has moly or especially Ti in the specification at all.

This Castrol has 0 Moly, albeit a high saps oil. But just as an example.

This is usually interesting to take a look at.

Last edited:
I know there have been other discussions on the Jaguar specific oil (Castrol Edge Professional E) meeting the spec STJLR 51.5122, but I wanted to revitalize the discussion. I recently went to my local Jaguar dealership and they advised they are out of stock on that oil, and have been out of stock for a while, and they don't know when to expect more. So I'm searching for an alternative. I use Amsoil in all my other vehicles. The Amsoil "EZT" which is 0W-20 European is an ACEA C5 oil that seems to be comparable but doesn't say it meets the Jaguar / Land Rover spec. I also found the Redline 0W-20 which actually says it meets the STJLR 51.5122 spec. I'm not really interested in using some of the other brands that meet the spec like LiquiMoly (I just have no experience with that brand, and haven't heard much about it). I compared the product data sheets of all three of these oils (Redline, Amsoil, and Castrol) and they seem very comparable (attached). Although the Castrol does have some impressive numbers and seems like a great oil. Of course the additive packages aren't as easy to find and I don't really know what to look for.

The vehicle's engien is a Supercharged 3.0L V6, Direct Injection. The car is a daily driver in all weather. Outside Temps could be as low as -10 or -20F, but more normally something like the 20's and 30's, and as high as 95 to 105F in the summer.

I'm not super technical with this stuff like many people on BITOG are (hence the reason I'm posting)... so my interpretation is that the only benefit to the OE Recommended Castrol is that it has more flowability at VERY low temperatures, but may suffer a little at higher temperatures. Any other differences you experts can point out to me? Anyone see why I couldn't use the Amsoil 0W-20 European "EZT"?
From my exp Liqui Moly Spec Tech LR 0W20 works the best and reduces ticking when idling. I tried Motul and Raveniol but Liqui worked the best for me.

hey any update on this? ty

Back