MS-12633 Oil Spec

I have a new 2022 Ram Power Wagon that calls for 0W-40 oil that meets the MS-12633 specification. PUP 0W-40 meets that spec and is called for by name in the owners manual. There are I think two others, Red Line and Amsoil, that are supposed to meet this spec, but I do not want to use a hard to find oil.

Are there any other oils that would meet this spec if they went through the Chrysler process to get (pay for) the spec? I have no problems with the PUP 0W-40, but I would like to have another oil that meets the spec available, even if it does not "technically" meet MS-12633. Thanks for any info.

Mobil and Castrol 0w40 will be very comparable.
I have seriously considered the top of the line Castrol, and may go to it when I am done with my 4 free oil changes. I have around 1700 miles on it now and will be doing an early change today with the PUP and OEM filter, then go by the NO MORE THAN 6k intervals after that.

JJ, chances are any 0W-40 would be just fine in this engine, but with the infamous "hemi tick" a possibility, I want to use a recommended oil. I would just like to know what exact ingredient/ingredients must meet a certain ppm threshold to get the certification.

JJ, chances are any 0W-40 would be just fine in this engine, but with the infamous "hemi tick" a possibility, I want to use a recommended oil. I would just like to know what exact ingredient/ingredients must meet a certain ppm threshold to get the certification.
Ingredients don't net an oil a certification, a formulated oil does.

There are multiple ways to skin a cat.

Without having access to the actual material specification, I'm going out on a limb and say it is a lot more than some isolated spectrographic analysis results. Likely it is a performance specification so it would include oxidation resistance, wear limits, low-temperature cranking limits, etc. It may also contain lower (or upper) limits on phosphorus or sulfur or other elements.

Even the instance on a specific grade is likely somewhat of a red herring since any limitation is probably based on a minimum HT/HS which would result in allowable grades. So I think that the notion that a simple "ingredient list" determinable by a $30 analysis is not going to verify that any random lubricant meets the totality of MS-12633.

Also FWIW:

Also FWIW:

From that thread...

Screenshot_20211207-143349_Samsung Internet.jpg

Back