Am I being paranoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys / gals,

I just put my car away for winter (99 Cobra built/strok'd/supercharged). I normally use PP 5w30, then switched to Ford Motocraft 5w20 for winter storage.

Somewhere along the lines, I came across a thread on this site to toss in some MMO when storing the car. Well I did that and then drove the car around then tossed it in the garage.

Now I've become paranoid after reading the thread on the oil additive subforum and said it's not a good idea. Something along the lines of oxidizing oil and what not. I'm about to run out and drain the oil and fill it fresh stuff, or would I be safe to leave in there until March / April?

Sorry for the long post...just like to make sure I'm not going to do anything that I may regret.

- Ryan
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I agree with Steve_S. And not because we are both named Steve
LOL.gif

I have an old Austin Mini that I store for the 8 months of Winter in Canada and I just store it as is with nothing in the tank and it's fine, so adding some MMO won't hurt it i'm sure. I would still start and run it every once and a while to keep the parts moving.

I doubt MMO will hurt anything. I'm assuming in the spring you'll swap the current fill out for 5W-30 again? I would have added a qt of MMO to the gas, along with some Stabil, then took the car for a nice 30 minute or longer ride and parked it. Make sure to block the air intake and tail pipe so nothing can set up camp while the car is sitting. Remove the battery and store it on a block of wood in a warm place. I wouldn't start the car and idle it, that will cause more problems than just letting it sit.

JMO,
FrankD

It won't hurt. some people have a bias towards one product or another, and so you might find some unsubstantiated rumor finding its way into an internet thread. MMO has been around a long time, and so far no one has sued them, so you should be fine.
The main oils that I know that will oxidize are those that have double bonds, like fish oil, or butter or something. MMO mainly works by thinning the oil slightly to let it flow faster and wash away built up scum. I wouldn't keep it in the crank case for more than about 5 hours of engine run time. If the engine is not running, there is no problem.

No need to remove the battery, just attache an automatic trickle charger to keep it topped up and above the freezing temperatures. Where I live it gets down to -40oC and my Mini's battery sits in that hooked up to a charger and it's fine year after year...

Don't worry, be happy!

I use a bit of Lucas Oil Fuel system additive to keep my upper cylinder and fuel system lubed. I have used it since I started driving and my dad used it for a long time in mechanic service station for as long as he can remember...

I would drain it first thing next season.

You want quality(synthetic in my opinion) motor oil when you have big blown motors and thats IT.

Originally Posted By: zeus201
Hey guys / gals,

I just put my car away for winter (99 Cobra built/strok'd/supercharged). I normally use PP 5w30, then switched to Ford Motocraft 5w20 for winter storage.

Somewhere along the lines, I came across a thread on this site to toss in some MMO when storing the car. Well I did that and then drove the car around then tossed it in the garage.

Now I've become paranoid after reading the thread on the oil additive subforum and said it's not a good idea. Something along the lines of oxidizing oil and what not. I'm about to run out and drain the oil and fill it fresh stuff, or would I be safe to leave in there until March / April?

Sorry for the long post...just like to make sure I'm not going to do anything that I may regret.

- Ryan
grin2.gif

That's why I don't always listen to what people say on the forums. Go with your best judgement. Either way I think you'll be fine, but I wouldn't use any additive junk in my oil.

Originally Posted By: scoobie
It won't hurt. some people have a bias towards one product or another, and so you might find some unsubstantiated rumor finding its way into an internet thread. MMO has been around a long time, and so far no one has sued them, so you should be fine.
The main oils that I know that will oxidize are those that have double bonds, like fish oil, or butter or something. MMO mainly works by thinning the oil slightly to let it flow faster and wash away built up scum. I wouldn't keep it in the crank case for more than about 5 hours of engine run time. If the engine is not running, there is no problem.

I "figured" it'd be alright. I guess it got a little paranoid. I probably have 30 min. run time with the combo in the crankcase just to work things in. I won't start the car until next spring. Battery is already moved inside.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
I would drain it first thing next season.

You want quality(synthetic in my opinion) motor oil when you have big blown motors and thats IT.

That'll be the first I'll do come that time along with checking other fluids.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wcbcruzer
Originally Posted By: zeus201
Hey guys / gals,

- Ryan
grin2.gif

That's why I don't always listen to what people say on the forums. Go with your best judgement. Either way I think you'll be fine, but I wouldn't use any additive junk in my oil.

Yeah, I suppose I should stuck to my regimine (sp). I never added anything to my oil, but I guess I read it was a good idea.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back