Shop Truck build

Got it sprayed finally, Olympic White base & a painter friend gave me some Pearlescent Clear.....Need to do some wet sanding & buffing.

u8nRWCf.jpg
So nice to see a older truck not eaten up by rust like up here.
Beautiful work, man. I like seeing results like this. Hate it at the same time....I can't paint a set of valve covers.

Now, on to the second step of this process. Two bottles, plate, and that lumpy stick in the middle of the block.

Just think about it. What better way to demonstrate your transmission building skills than to show your customers that your transmission can live under abuse.

You're not doing it for yourself, you're doing it for your customers.

It's about ready for paint....

RYrncux.jpg
I just got rid of a Firebird same color and everything that was sitting in my yard since 1999. It had a 90 degree V6 & sunroof for $150.
It was going to be a high school drag race car, but the students moved on and lost interest.
I gave it away and threw in a Ford 9" out of an old Falcon.

I was doing some full throttle data logging yesterday & noticed my airflow mass (Grams Per Second) was noticeably low. Couldn't really tell per the "butt" dyno but I don't have L96 powered 1500 to compare it to either.

My first thought was Exhaust as it's 100% stock 2000 LM7 except the Exhaust Manifolds, But after reviewing the MAP Sensor logs....I didn't think the exhaust was a major restriction.

Looked closely at the air intake, Specifically the original GMT800 LM7 part of it as the L96 air intake tube won't clear the hood. It was pretty clear that the GMT800 is more restrictive than the K2XX piece.

Found that 2007-2010 2500HD's (LY6) don't have the "3rd" Resonator in the Intake Tube & looked like it would fit. Called my local Wreaking yard & they had one for $30.....Worth the risk!!

Airflow is now normal, MAP logs now show a bit of Exhaust restriction at the Very Top of the curve (5,700-6,000 RPM) Nothing I'm going to worry about.

Getting this out of the way will allow me to tune the Open Loop WOT Fueling which is always WAY too FAT!!!

*1st pic....K2XX/'11-'13 GMT900 L96 Intake.
*2nd pic....Why GMT900 1500 Intakes don't work, The "3rd" Resonator will not clear a mechanical fan shroud.
*3rd pic......My "rigged" GMT800 Intake.
*4th pic.....'07-'10 LY6 GMT900 Intake.

Y4rYO43.jpg

J1j3Zy5.jpg

R5HbbMJ.jpg

MIIA2ik.jpg
I guess I never noticed that clutch fan 800s have a different shaped intake tube than the E-fan ones.

1709430200586.jpeg

Do these E-fan ones flow just fine or are they a bottle neck. Is it worth changing anything? I see they do not have that “neck” to get to the TB and clear a fan shroud.

Back