Dodge Durango 3.6L - HPL CK-4 5w-20 - 33,300 miles on oil - 173,000 miles total

1ppm iron wear per 1000, hard to complain about that. TBN to spare. Turned into a 40 wt by the end, but what's a few cSt between friends? Was fuel economy notably affected by the oil being that much thicker?

Overall, I'd say you got your money worth.

Are you still changing your filters periodically?

Was fuel economy notably affected by the oil being that much thicker?
No, not that I can tell and I have the last 80,000 miles of fuel economy records.

Are you still changing your filters periodically?
Yes, every 5k, except the last filter which was almost 10k. I'm switching the Fram out for a Baldwin this weekend. The Fram only has 5k, but I don't trust Ultras after my previous findings.

Any plans to push the filter beyond 21,000 miles?
I'm not sure where you are finding the 21k miles for a filter, maybe from my first OCI with HPL? I should have changed that filter much sooner.

I will change a couple at 10k and see how they are doing, then possibly 15k or 20k after that.

The Fe wear rate was almost exactly 1ppm/1k miles, which is outstanding.
The Fe wear rate in the last 5k miles is around 3 times higher than in the first 28k miles. Aluminum is up significantly as well. I'd interpret this as a condemnation point, especially since Fe/mile usually trends down over an OCI (which probably has more to do with the iron getting filtered out or ending up in deposits than the actual wear rate). So actual wear may have been more than 3x higher.

The last long run also saw more than a doubling of the Fe wear rate in the final 5k. In both cases, the increased wear rate was just after the oxidation measurement hit 24.

Now, a low wear rate that increases by a factor of 3 is still a low wear rate, but if all the additional wear is from a single component that really doesn't like the aged oil, it could be that the wear on that component is much higher than normal.

If this were my vehicle, I'd consider oxidation at 24 to be a condemnation limit. I'd maybe do a UOA at 22k, then decide from there how much longer the oil should go, but in the interest of science, I think you should do another 5k 😁

I'm switching the Fram out for a Baldwin this weekend. The Fram only has 5k, but I don't trust Ultras after my previous findings.
It'll be interesting to see how well the oil holds up with less efficient filtration (assuming the Baldwin is the typical 99% at 40 micron). I've seen a study that suggested that more efficient filtration can reduce the oxidation rate of the oil, and since this is what seems to condemn the oil in your case, maybe it would have a noticeable effect.

It'll be interesting to see how well the oil holds up with less efficient filtration (assuming the Baldwin is the typical 99% at 40 micron). I've seen a study that suggested that more efficient filtration can reduce the oxidation rate of the oil, and since this is what seems to condemn the oil in your case, maybe it would have a noticeable effect.
I don't know how much more efficient the new Ultras are than Baldwin. Maybe someone will know.

I don't know how much more efficient the new Ultras are than Baldwin. Maybe someone will know.
Baldwin can be hard to find info on - here’s one a while back
(seem similar to OEM filters) …

Last edited:
No, not that I can tell and I have the last 80,000 miles of fuel economy records.

Yes, every 5k, except the last filter which was almost 10k. I'm switching the Fram out for a Baldwin this weekend. The Fram only has 5k, but I don't trust Ultras after my previous findings.

I'm not sure where you are finding the 21k miles for a filter, maybe from my first OCI with HPL? I should have changed that filter much sooner.

I will change a couple at 10k and see how they are doing, then possibly 15k or 20k after that.
i may have missed it in previous posts, but why not a fram endurance?

Baldwin publishes micron ratings for most individual filters. Most commonly, they are 99% at 40 micron, 50% at 18 micron. FRAM claims 99% at 20 micron for the Ultra based on a few reference models, though in a recent inquiry to them posted on this site, FRAM claimed "98% at 20-30 micron". The FRAM should be quite a bit more efficient than the Baldwin.

I've only seen one particle count UOA with a Baldwin filter. It's from way back in 2006, with a filter rated 40/18 micron, and it was several ISO codes worse than either a PurolatorOne or K&N, on the same engine with the same OCI.

I've used Baldwin filters and they seem to be well-constructed, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that they're very efficient. What is it that don't you like about the new FRAM Ultra?

i may have missed it in previous posts, but why not a fram endurance?
I'm having a hard time talking myself into using Fram again:

I'm having a hard time talking myself into using Fram again:
but, we know that the endurance isn’t actually constructed by fram and it’s the closest to the og ultra’s efficiency. just a point, i know baldwin makes a quality filter and we run them on our detroits in the big boat.

I missed that, who makes the Endurance and do they also make the cartridge filters?
i cannot speak for the cartridge filter but if you look at one in the box you will be able to see if it’s the same media as the spin on. the endurance is made by champion labs and is the same filter as the amsoil and royal purple

FRAM claims 99% at 20 micron for the Ultra based on a few reference models, though in a recent inquiry to them posted on this site, FRAM claimed "98% at 20-30 micron".
But there was also this response from Fram when I contacted them and asked about specific filter models. A statement like "90% at 20-30 microns" can't be for any specific filter, it was probably a blanket statement to cover the whole line of models.

Thank you for doing these tests. Not my cup of tea, but I appreciate the effort just the same. HPL impresses me as a result of all these long drain posts.

i cannot speak for the cartridge filter but if you look at one in the box you will be able to see if it’s the same media as the spin on. the endurance is made by champion labs and is the same filter as the amsoil and royal purple
Champ is owned by first brands I.e FRAM. May god strike me down if I’m wrong

At 2 years and 33k miles, the TBN is still higher than some shelf oils have in virgin form. As you said, past the condemnation point so this oil change has run its course. That's good data.
Part of the reason being is it's not direct injection or boosted, and when you get one of these ultra high quality oils that isn't restricted with Dexos /cost you can really open up the can of goodies and these results are testimony to that. Great pictures! Did you break you arm doing cartwheels and such over the impressive results because I would have 😂

Back