Fram Ultra, Titanium & Endurance now 98% at 20-30 microns ISO 4548-12

I think everything is pretty clear to most people in this thread. And others.
That I would like to have discussion about filters w/o personal insults from you? Are you going to continue insulting me with whatever you have against me? Quoting me in each thread I post in about my "agenda" that fits your narrative? It's still not clear to me why you feel you must personally attack me? let's hear it...

Last edited:
I’m only rarely the voice of reason in some of the heated arguments here, but it’s helpful to remember that one has to “take” offense at something. It can’t be given or forced upon someone.

I will mention that filtration efficiency numbers matter not at all if the filter media is torn or otherwise compromised in use; that is probably the Purolator reference, and there are loads of proof that Purolator had a terrible track record for failed media for several years.

I’m only rarely the voice of reason in some of the heated arguments here, but it’s helpful to remember that one has to “take” offense at something. It can’t be given or forced upon someone.

I will mention that filtration efficiency numbers matter not at all if the filter media is torn or otherwise compromised in use; that is probably the Purolator reference, and there are loads of proof that Purolator had a terrible track record for failed media for several years.
Way to blame the victim...👏

I know Purolator's history & they've long fixed that when they launched the Boss oil filter. What you say can be said about any torn filter.

Last edited:
I sent an email to Fram asking for specific efficiency numbers on a couple of models. Will see what they say in response.
Here's my message to Fram Tech, and their response. It says he verified with Engineering for the answer. So does that mean the guy in the chat with Robvette was giving general info for across all models which includes all spin-on and cartridge filters from all countries of origin? 🤷‍♂️ That's the only way someone could claim the "98% @ 20-30 microns" kind of statement. The plot deepens. 😄

The two filters I asked about are two of the referenced filters that Fram has in their efficiency statement on their website. Guess we'll have to see if Fram updates their efficiency statements on the website as time goes on.

1702497384387.png

I know Purolator's history & they've long fixed that when they launched the Boss oil filter. What you say can be said about any torn filter.
No other filter brand went through a streak of media tearing like the Purolators, which also included some of the rebranded filters made by Purolator. You weren't a member when it was going through the media tearing haydays. Still see it happening now and then, but they seem better than they were in this regard.

Last edited:
No other filter brand went through a streak of media tearing like the Purolators, which also included some of the rebranded filters made by Purolator. You weren't a member when it was going through the media tearing haydays.
Thanks? I already knew this. You don't need to be a member to read BITOG.

Last edited:
Thanks? I already knew this though.
The tearing on those models was not "fixed" when the Boss came along ... that was the point. The Boss is mesh back, so of course it won't tear like the others could. Boss came out around early 2016.

The tearing on those models was not "fixed" when the Boss came along ... that was the point. The Boss is mesh back, so of course it won't tear like the others could.
The others have had some media changes over the years. Do they still tear? Still doesn't explain why the personal attacks from the one guy.

The others have had some media changes over the years. Do they still tear? Still doesn't explain why the personal attacks from the one guy.
I think what started the whole media tearing problem is when M+H took over Purolator and changed the media. Could also be when the efficiency of Purolators (as shown by the current M+H Spec Sheets) started getting worse. The media tearing all of a sudden spiked right after M+H came into the Purolator operations, whereas before that there was never any reported media tearing going on. Maybe M+H has changed the media since the tearing haydays to get that under control, but if not, I'd say they should get out of the oil filter business. 😄

PS - They should also work on their louver forming during production ... I've seen some pretty bad louvers in Purolators lately.

Last edited:
I think what started the whole media tearing problem is when M+H took over Purolator and changed the media. Could also be when the efficiency of Purolators (as shown by the current M+H Spec Sheets) started getting worse. The media tearing just all of a sudden spiked, whereas before that there was never any reported media tearing going on. If M+H has changed the media since the tearing haydays, I'd say if they didn't then they should get out of the oil filter business. 😄
That very well may have been the case about when the tearing started and I agree that there was an issue with tearing no doubt about it. It's been 18 years since M+H acquired Purolator (2006) so I doubt those sheets are anywhere near that old & definitely not the same filter media today. I did just run a 10 year old Purolator One almost 10,000 miles on the Power Stroke w/no issues, Posted in the filter forum, though. :p

Last edited:
That very well may have been the case about when the tearing started and I agree that there was an issue with tearing no doubt about it. It's been 18 years since M+H acquired Purolator (2006) so I doubt those sheets are anywhere near that old & definitely not the same filter media today.
Maybe things really changed when M+H got full control of Purolator after Bosch sold their share to M+H in 2013. All the media tearing started in early 2014 if I recall correctly.

1702502710226.png

Then there is this, which seems to account for some chaos in the Wix world.

1702502925832.png

Last edited:
In no way was I referencing any one person, let alone you specifically. It was a quote that applies to everyone equally, but you did kinda prove the point. Do yourself a favor and stop thinking you’re a victim. That’s a little overblown considering we’re talking about words typed on the internet. ✌️
Quoting me, regularly, just to bash me & I question him about it isn't overblown. Do yourself a favor & leave me alone. ✌️

Maybe things really changed when M+H got full control of Purolator after Bosch sold their share to M+H in 2013. All the media tearing started in early 2014 if I recall correctly.

View attachment 192819

Then there is this, which seems to account for some chaos in the Wix world.

View attachment 192821
Yeah, Purolator may have started using some of Mann & Hummel filters around that time? A bit of consolidation issues perhaps. I don't know if there's any truth to this but I thought WIX was overall kept separate from Purolator.

We do know that M&H put some money into Purolator though as we seen the Boss line launch a couple years after they bought the rest of the ownership in 2013. Typical of companies to infuse money into the business they just bought. So, I sort of see the positive side of it all.

Other than that I don't really know so.. 🤷‍♂️

Yep, that's right & I just don't know how much consolidation has gone on between the two if any.
I'd think any time one company has bought two separate companies, that there will be some kind of consolidation going on to align the products to some degree and cut costs.

Just went to Advance Auto and bought 4 Titanium 7317 oil filters (for Subaru). 20,000 miles, wire backed
I already have 2 others on my 2 foresters. I plan on running each 10 to 15 K miles. I am good to go for another 5+ years.

Back