Fram Ultra, Titanium & Endurance now 98% at 20-30 microns ISO 4548-12

Just went to Advance Auto and bought 4 Titanium 7317 oil filters (for Subaru). 20,000 miles, wire backed
You'll lucky to find some 7317 Titaniums that still have the wire backed media. Unless they are again making them that way.

What's the date codes on those you got?

Both still owned and ran by M+H.
Well. NAPA has had enough issues with Mann supply, quality, etc. that they're moving to Premium Guard. I don't think Wix has been the same since the good, old Affinia days, personally. Yet another example of a bigger, inferior company buying out a smaller, quality company & running them pretty much into the ground...

I'm wondering what impact the gaps between sections of the leaf spring and the end cap have on filtration efficiency. The old design had a gasket on the end cap to ensure a seal, but that is no longer the case and it is metal to metal now. Any imperfections in either component can leave a gap where unfiltered oil can bypass. Most oil is still going through the filter media, but this is a disappointment.

Fiber end caps don't have this issue:LOL:. With "cardboard" we can always see an indentation of the leaf spring and small imperfections aren't as much of an issue.

^^^ Yep, Fram should have kept the fiber gasket on the leaf spring end cap like the OG Ultras had. The new Ultras without the wire-backed media also have a metal-on-metal seal now.

Actually I finally got off the filter roulette wheel, after the Mobil1 filters went from Champion to Purolator (Mann-Hummel) I found it impossible to determine who makes what and where anymore, filters have become, at best, questionable as far as performance and quality. I took the simplest approach, I drive Hondas, they warranty their cars using the 15400-PLM-A02, The Blue Can from Fram. I've never been able to get actual numbers on its actual filtration ratings. I just use it and go on down the road. All I know is (1) it's made by Fram (they won't give information on it, says it's "proprietary") (2) It's marked Made in USA, and (3) Meets Honda's Warranty standards.
I'm done chasing Unicorns.......

I wouldn’t loose sleep about micron rating on a street driven vehicle.

Just hit 60K miles on Fram Ultra (wire backed) with 3 drain / refills every 20K miles.
At the end of next year I will send to Adam for autopsy when it hits 80K miles.
Nobody on BITOG has attempted this.

Just changed the OG XG4967 on the xB in my sig with another OG today. I would have left it on, but somehow road debris made it past the belly pan & put a nice scratch in the Sure Grip. Which was beginning to rust…:mad: So much for the longer 3600 being the issue!

^^^ Yep, Fram should have kept the fiber gasket on the leaf spring end cap like the OG Ultras had. The new Ultras without the wire-backed media also have a metal-on-metal seal now.

I’m wondering if when the filter is intact (i.e. not taken apart) there is enough pressure to close that gap? I think you’d have to cut the base plate enough to pull part of the ADBV out & shine a flashlight down in there to check.

Back