Fake Honda 15400-PLM-A01? Or am I being paranoid?

You are more than welcome to purchase "recent" Filtrech 15400-PLM-A01's' with screws inside them to see if you will be rewarded with a fulfilling experience.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Screws inside FAKE? versus spot welds inside genuine 15400-PLOM-A01 oil filters

I can't tell from your picture (I copied and blew it up) if they are screws or rivets. If they are actually screws, can you get a screwdriver in there to see if they can be twisted or removed?

I got technical help with camera to get better look and my tired and cataract affected 76 year old eyes and stand corrected.
I previously thought I saw square Robertson screw heads with magnifying glass but they look like welds with higher magnification.
There even looks like shiny weld splatter - one lying against the edge of hole on perforated metal and one above the weld.point itself.
[Linked Image]

Last photo (image is rotated after posting) provided shows what looks like two shiny weld splatter...one to left of weld close to junction of two curves, and the second one on hole above the weld point.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Yes please show us the screws more clearly.

In the end they weren't screws and this was just a exercise.

Genuine base gasket protrudes about 1 mm past metal body unlike almost twice the distance for the fake. No Chinese character printing on side or PLM on top of genuine Filtech filter. Different color anti-drain material. No total metal covering on top or bottom of genuine filter media. Shorter fake filter media. I did not bother counting pleats. Bottom of fake filter media has spring inside tube. I pushed very hard on its bottom and got the effect shown on the picture. I pushed with lighter force on circular part at bottom of genuine relief valve and it sat true consistently. Larger loose spring shown sat under bottom of fake metal filter media cover.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Correction: Previous image showing bases with 8 holes were interchanged...genuine base has larger diamond.

Last edited:
I straightened the pressure relief spring assembly of the fake filter and it then returned to sit truer. Also, about the same effort was now required to get it to open. In all cases, I applied central force to open the spring assembly. The genuine spring relief is larger in diameter than the fake.

Back