Algorithm for oil service light?

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually that was an interesting story. He had amsoil do an analysis, and of course the old story of which came first the egg or the chicken, proved to be the case as he had glycol in the engine. So, amsoil stated he had a head leak and was not their problem, toyota said he didn't change his oil and it wasn't their problem. This is why the first sign of a problem, you do an analysis so to establish what is going on and not what the end results are after the fact. As in this case, the engine could have started with a head leak and ended up sludgeing as we all know that is not uncommon, but then he could have had sludged up the engine, and it got hot enough to create a head problem thus leaking the glycol. So there he was, stuck in the middle. He obviously felt it was the manufactures fault and blamed them.(can't imagine why)
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Why is it my job to convince you?

Gee, I keep wondering about that myself. You're among those that keep chanting oil analysis oil analysis - not me. You're the one that's selling. If you're frustrated that I don't buy your anecdotal based reasoning, then may I suggest eitehr changing your tact or stop selling altogether? Repetition just isnt' going to do it.
banghead.gif
but I suppose that's an option for you as well...

quote:

billions and billions of miles logged by millions and millions of motorists

While simplistically put, those are valid statistics. Do you have anything to contribute beyond another round of scare anecdotes about Joe Bloe down the street found a few dribbles of water?
rolleyes.gif

---

quote:

We are merely defending the merits of oil analysis in this particular thread

Oh how quaint and patriotic that sounds
patriot.gif
! To clarify, it is certainly implied and all but explicitly stated that dependence upon an odometer, manufacture recommendations or service lights or any other method that doesn't involve oil analysis lacks validity and merit and is essentially for "idiots" not welcome to or worthy of this board. That is not defending oil analysis, but rather follows the old 'best defense is a good offense' strategem. The whole oil analysis thing was needlessly interjected the whole while attacking (offense, not defense) algorithms, odometers and lights. Worse it was done w/o well reasoned logic or data and even the anecdotes were presumptive. It seeks to offend others chosen methods of reckoning changing oil as lacking merit. Ultimately it is done so in a matter more suitable for sales tactics that read like snake oil marketing literature than one based on objective facts, statistics and logical rationalizations in some (not all) cases. And it therefore completely ignores and thefore cannot stand up to even the most liberal cost benefit analysis.

BOBISTHEOILGUY:
I must say that is at last a well articulated post regarding oil analysis. Had you left out the anecdotes - it would have been as good as I could expect. It shows balance, objectivity and prudence in the application of oil analysis for the most part. It does state the merits of oil analysis without blanket attacks upon manufacturer approved methods, systems or interval reckoning.

quote:

I can assure you that I have seen more than my fair share of cars being towed, many of which had oil puddles on the ground

Unfortunately an otherwise well done post contains this anecdote. Do you have any kind of reasonable % or number of cars that suffer oil related catastrophic engine failures during say the warranty period? 10yr/100K mi? Seeing more than your fair share proves nothing unless I know what the 'fair share' is and what percent 'more' is. Are you saying if used regularly it is a virtual profilactic against impending oil related engine failure via early detection/correction?

In your followup post I can't speak to oil service lights but the old fashioned owners manual/odo method should list a severe duty oil change intervals that apply operating in long idle, dusty or hot environments.

Truth be known I do have some experience w/ oil analysis myself and have no doubt about it's validity as to the condition of oil or the ability to reasonably infer engine condition from oil contents. It does require some basic mechanical/analystical skills to do so of course and mistakes can occur (including a few of the anecdotes listed above). Yes, it is a superior form of reckoning and more safely allows pushing the envelope of intervals compared to a perfectly acceptable and valid manufacturer based interval recommendations (beit based on sensors, lights or the odometer).

I've used oil analysis in the past and may use it again on a rare occasion though my anal retentive motor oil days are long behind me. But I'll never cow-tow to idiotic so-called 'logic' that dictates other methods are invalid simply because they aren't as good as rigorous oil analysis combined with correct mechanical analysis.

Three points to consider rounding out your post with:

1 - Fleet managers can often arrange for facilitated oil analysis since they already have records managment, technicians employed to conduct rigorous maintenance schedules as well as bulk negotiation/buying power and other supporting infrastructure making oil analysis all the more viable in this scenario. Rigorous cost benefit analysis usually holds water here (no pun intended). But the same objectives, methods & financial dynamics don't necessarily apply to private motorists. This serves as a good discussion to oil analysis though some apples to oranges context should be noted.

2 - There is also the psychologically appeasing aspect of oil analysis for consumers that was underplayed in my opinion, in your post. Based on the lack of rationale attributable to many analysis zealots plainly evident in the preceding posts, this is a indeed a VERY significant factor. Clearly an undeniable benefit.

3 - The anecdotes about A) cars that were saved due to oil analysis and B) cars that could have been saved had they used oil analysis are just that - anecdotes in the absense of viable statistics about engine related oil failures. Numbers are needed first in order to then apply cost benefit analysis. Drop this from your post or include some statistics and you're getting pretty much to an objective FAQ or article on the subject and away form the snake oil literature such anecdotes smack of.

Finally you're note about folks not making money is well taken. However consider the psychological aspects of people needing to rationalize their decisions by swaying others to be of a similar opinion or like mind is a strong incentive arguably outweighing any profit motive. This plays not only a big part seemingly in the pro analysis camp but also in any discussion involving 'brand' loyalty. Sophisticated marketing programs prey upon this 'free' marketing division with precision and the internet can be a deft tool to those ends.

Stirring things up am I? Call it what you must, but when I see irrational arguments for something to the point of nauseum echoing like a playground chant, I find it easy to ask simple incisive questions. Predictable though they may be, I have no control how others choose to react.

-T

Bob, Upon reading the lexus post my first reaction was to say "boy Lexus really hosed him" but then with a little effort I was able to track their reasoning. A) So it had a coolant bleed into the oil, this happens sometimes. B) If he had changed oil at the required interval it would not have advanced to engine failure and may have been detected in time to fix an intake gasket etc. So I guess they were not off base. RW

pgtr,

You posted: "This is probably not a simple or realistic answer - just curious what people think or know on this subject."

It is not a simple topic. People chimed in with various answers, inlcuding those that were pro indicators and those who who relyed on UOA, and those who used a little of both. But this IS a forum, and people of all experiences and technical skills will chime in with their opinions, whether you like their comments or not.

This is one of the great things about this board, you can obtain a wide spectrum of opinions and experiences. When statements are made, people like to ask questions for clarification and for further discussion.

"just curious what people think or know on this subject." Well, now you know what people think. You can take it or leave it. This subject has broader implications than just algorithms and indicators. As a practicing engineer (Industrial Physicsist) I deal with theoretical vs. real-world correlations every day. Take for example fly-by-wire. It sounded good on paper but Airbus found that it caused planes to crash. It had good indicators and sensors, but the software wanted to override pilot commands when in certain stall configuration. While the pilot knew better, the rigid software no, and BOOM! Now the bugs have been worked out and planes are safer, but a serious lesson was learned...theory must be supported and confirmed by testing and by correlations with real world data.

If you choose to stick with programmed indicators and sensors, that's your choice. But take that chip off your shoulder because no one is doing as you wrongly accused.

Good analysis dickwells.

---

Oh I guess I just imagined this little zipper?

quote:

Why would anyone believe a sensor not based on oil quality/oil analysis?

I never said anything about extending service intervals. I was curious how these various service lights triggered was all. That simple statement above speaks volumes of sarcasm doesn't it?

Here's a quote for you: Why would anyone believe an engine analysis based on oil analysis inference? Doesn't everyone else do a complete engine teardown and micrometer measurement of every friction bearing part between oil changes?

The analogy that the use of oil analysis is not applicable to a personal motorist versus a fleet manager isn't terribly applicable either. I have my own "fleet" of cars, currently four. I expect to recieve over 200,000 miles of service out of each of them. If I stuck with the old 3,000 mile rule, I'd have to change the oil in each vehicle 10 times per year, for 40 oil changes. (all of my vehicles fall into what would be considered "severe duty" by the various manufactuers guidelines). With the oil analysis, I can guage what an approporiate interval is based on on various factors which can be inferred from the oil analysis. That drops my oil changes back to less than 20 changes per year. For the same cost of an oil analysis and less frequent oil changes, I get reliable performance AND a measure of the condition of the engines. With the more frequent changes, I wouldn't get that information. So, I've saved money and time (less time under my cars, so to speak). Yes it takes time to interpret the information, but that is still less than the time it takes to get an oil change done.

Back to the original question, I think the oil change algorithims are a useful feature for most drivers. Still, I compare it to my "emissions maintinence" light on my 88 Jeep Cherokee. It doesn't actually monitor anything in the emissions system to determine it needs maintinence. Instead, it recieves a feed from the odometer, and lights the lamp when it hits 82,500 miles, to remind me to change my oxygen sensor. In reality, it has no clue what the real condition of the sensor is. Similarly, the oil change lights in many modern vehicles monitor cold start temps, engine revolutions, fuel usage, etc..., to determine when the oil should be changed. Again, no direct monitoring of the oil itself. So, in a statistical sense, thats when the oil should be changed, but does that mean the oil is "used up", so to speak? Not necessarily. Using a quality oil, that interval may, emphasis on the may, be extended even longer with no adverse impacts on the engine. On the other hand, it may suggest the gauge is a little too optimistic.

In any event, the gauge itself doesn't know the real condition of the oil, its only making an educated guess. Its the same story with an oil analysis. It does tell us certain parameters of the oil, but we then use that inforamtion to make educated guesses about the state of the engine and assocaited systems.

Nobody here is pushing oil analysis on you. Thats your choice. 3,000 miles chnges work just fine. So does using an indicator light in your vehicle. Others wish to push farther, and oil analysis can provide a measure of how far you can push.

Since your putting 120,000 miles a year of heavy duty service on 4 vehicles I'd have to classify you as a fleet manager for the purpose of this discussion. There's no denying the cost benefit analysis you've constructed in your scenario. At last somebody posts some meaningfull numbers and a great scenario example - Hurrah!

Very well reasoned post - couldn't agree more or have said it better.

Yes, I agree, the oil change indicator is a usefull and valid feature. The emissions light in your example is probably based on simple mileage. It's a light that mimics the old odometer check.

I would add that based on the initial info about the algorithsm, the lights are not simple linear functions of mileage. E.g. they don't treat each mile as a simple mile. The GM system adds or takes away points. The BMW system is elegantly simple in tracking fuel etc. That sensor is arguably analyzing contents in the oil (a simple version of oil analysis perhaps). The oil analysis lab employs a variety of techniques not altogether different from this to isolate a lot of different contents in the oil. No the algorithsm are not as good as oil analysis in some ways but are better than simple odometer schedule in others.

Since the manufacturers and some synthetic oil brands have reached a compromise of endorsing the usage of synthetics while sticking with the recomemended service intervals, the oil analysis provides a relatively safe way of extending intervals particularly with synthetics (whether or not the particular brand of synthetic oil is advocating extended intervals).

pgtr, "Why would anyone believe a sensor not based on oil quality/oil analysis?"

No, it is not sarcastic and I think you're making it extremely personal when it shouldn't be taken as such. It just begs the question and that is what it was, a simple question.
The question inferred was two-fold: 1. Is this reasonable? 2. Is there a 95% confidence factor or reasonable correlation between the sensor and actual oil condition/engine wear data?

pgtr, "Here's a quote for you: Why would anyone believe an engine analysis based on oil analysis inference? Doesn't everyone else do a complete engine teardown and micrometer measurement of every friction bearing part between oil changes?"

And here is one for you: Ever heard of the phrase, "going from the sublime to the ridiculous."

pgtr
You started this discussion by stating the following:
"In theory I'd think they could pretty much account for everything except dusty operating conditions (and even that could be done if there was some sort of air filter monitor... hmmm)"

You used the word everything! That statement is absurd and has been proven, I'm using the work PROVEN wrong by an example given, namely the person who had a leaking head gasket, which was detected by oil analysis.

You complain about people cramming oil analysis down your throat. I don't see anyone doing that here, you can't deal with the fact that your statement has been disproven.

I'm personally getting tired of you using such inflammatory words/statements such as: "religious zealots, heretic, Nazi, playground chant" That's stirring up the pot, in case you don't know what Bob means.

If you want to rely on the oil change indicator, for yourself go ahead. You have done a pretty poor job of convincing me, and a lot of other people here, that that's the best way to take care of your car.

For someone who has blessed me with his professional resume, I'm surprised you would have to pose such a question. Be that as it may I also fail to understand why one doesn't send his or her stool sample into the lab for analysis at least once a week. I think it's a matter of educating the next generation to the benefits of stool analysis. Let the public know about stool analysis and they can decide between weekly stool analysis or the annual calendar based 'physical' when the idiot window pops up on Outlook. For the record I can assure that I am being no more sarcastic than you.

"Rediculous" eh? To be fair, I've heard the same word leveled at oil analysis with respect to following manufacturer interval recommendations. The point is, each time you step up in the order of magnitude on this preventative maintenance curve, folks drop off. In your case, the suggestion of a full teardown was, as you put it, "rediculous". NHRA racers nor NASA think so for their needs. Hmmm, a response like that and now you're starting to sound like Joe Average when confronted with oil analysis vs his 6000 mi oil change interval. What goes around comes around.

-T

pgtr,

Are you capable of arguing a point without resorting to personal attacks?

Myself, and I’m sure many others find this incredibly distasteful and irritating.

OH NO! I used the dreaded "everything" word - HEH HEH HEH heh heh heh - ho ho. Oh my I really did it to my self with that word. Hey everybody - he used the 'E' word - let him have it with the oil analysis anecdotes! Well I was ignorant of the rule FWIW but I suppose ignorance won't get me off will it? Naw, I didn't think so.

quote:

you can't deal with the fact that your statement has been disproven

Where? Which Post disproved?

Considering I'm not an endorser of oil analysis for my need - I'm a heretic - with all the attention I seem to garner by simply asking for something beyond anecdotes to back up the oil analysis fanatics - you'd think there was an inquisition. Last time I looked outside I still saw millions of motorists racking up billions of oil related trouble free miles. Nope, the cars aren't self destructing at 2 years because no oil analysis was done. Or do you have data to disprove this?

There are a number of posts that mention reasonable prudent and logical application of oil analysis. I mention that because I dont' want to lump every respondent into the dogmatic category. That posters are perfectly reasonable and I fully agree with the context in which they present oil analysis.

quote:

You have done a pretty poor job of convincing me, and a lot of other people here, that that's the best way to take care of your car.

I should hope so! Considering I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything. If you want to preach the oil analysis gospel to me, be prepared to back it up w/ data or statistics. I'm still waiting on the numbers of cars failing due to oil related failures. For starters why not count of the anecdotes posted thus far. I think you'd be up 12 or 14 or so. Well it's a start and better than the complete void on data regarding oil related engine failures being bantied about here. Why not go after '96 Toyotas? Compare the % of blown Toy engines in '96 to the # of cars produced. There's a particularly hand picked year suitable to your position. See I'm trying to help you! But if the kitchen is too hot and you don't have the numbers to contribute, well nobody is forcing you to read this thread.

There are very good reasons and applications and scenarios for oil analysis. However millions of motors can and will rack up billions of miles on cars without the aide of oil analysis by simply following basic manufacture guidelines or indicator lights. I'm yet to see a single shred of statistical evidence posted that refutes this. I'm still patiently waiting for the data while you are busily slicing and dicing semantics with a vengeance.

I think this topic has moved
offtopic.gif
somewhat .

This subject needs to be focused more on the topic and not the individuals. It is getting somewhat border line on personal, so lets try and redirect and stick more to this topic without the personal's included so much.
cheers.gif

Thanks,
bob

Sorry Bob--didn't see your post

No problem jj, nothing I can't take care of
smile.gif
bob

[ October 04, 2002, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Is there anything more that can be discussed on this topic? I think all the high points have been hit.

Maybe it's time to lock it and move on.

[ October 05, 2002, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Bob did bring up an interesting point with regards to the GM piston slap problem. AFAIK, all of the models afflicted by this problem are equipped with the GM Oil Life Monitor. There seems to be no common denominator as far as external variables (oil change interval, oil brand choice, driving conditions, etc.) on the vehicles in question. If indeed a bearing is self-destructing inside the engine, oil analysis could provide ammunition against GM's case: they acknowledge that the piston slap is occuring, but claim no damage is being done, and that these vehicles aren't defective. What a cop-out!
nono.gif

I have a couple of people that are using the oil analysis to establish this problem. So far it has been shown higher than normal copper and lead readings. Sometimes more other times less, but always in the high 2 digits. From what I have learned in the past few months and asked terry to watch for was that the main bearings seem to be where it is found. There has been reported cases where the front bearing gets out of tolerance so bad after a period of time that the crank sensor can't pickup the crank signal and not allow the engine to start.

I'd heard that the current GM V8's were using hypereutectic pistons which slap when cold by design. After the piston expands everything's OK.

I can't speak for bearing wear but pistons made like this are known to slap. Lots of racing motors use hypereutectic pistons without major concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back