Agritourism is at your own risk in Texas

wwillson

Staff member
I walked past this sign yesterday and did a double take when I saw the word, "Agritourism"

I think this is how you interpret the statute:

1) If you feel the need to get close to the bull so you can take a selfie with him and the bull kills you, then don't sue the landowner.

2) If you are hunting wild hogs and they kill you on the way to your blind, then don't sue the landowner.

50CBCF46-D0DF-4A42-B0EA-F7551F63F0CF.jpeg

Plenty of bison/tourist videos from the national parks indicate people don't understand much about animals.
Having grown up on a livestock farm with a bull, I can assure you I have immense respect for wild animals and domesticated stock. Our bull was not the least bit friendly, in fact he was meaner than a bull. You never ever turned your back to him and you never let him get closer than 100 feet from you without an immediate out. I'm still alive and he eventually went to McDonald's.

When we lived in Alberta we often went to the National Parks.

On one trip we saw 2 black bear cubs up a tree - with no mother apparently around - though I wouldn't bet my life on it. So we stayed far away.

And later that day we saw a visitor taking pictures while standing beside their car with a grizzly bear, not 10 feet away, placidly eating berries. One good swipe with those claws and they would have been dead. How fast can you get in the car with a grizzly bear after you? People do the dumbest things.

When we lived in Alberta we often went to the National Parks.

On one trip we saw 2 black bear cubs up a tree - with no mother apparently around - though I wouldn't bet my life on it. So we stayed far away.

And later that day we saw a visitor taking pictures while standing beside their car with a grizzly bear, not 10 feet away, placidly eating berries. One good swipe with those claws and they would have been dead. How fast can you get in the car with a grizzly bear after you? People do the dumbest things.
Yep, people are clueless.

A buddy of mine and his wife (at the time) went camping in Algonquin, he brought a couple of guns, she thought he was being stupid, then bears raided their camp site and she all of a sudden didn't think it was stupid anymore. He's a born and bred country boy, grew up hunting, knows what nature is capable of, she was full-on Unicorns and Rainbows, completely disconnected.

Having grown up on a livestock farm with a bull, I can assure you I have immense respect for wild animals and domesticated stock. Our bull was not the least bit friendly, in fact he was meaner than a bull. You never ever turned your back to him and you never let him get closer than 100 feet from you without an immediate out. I'm still alive and he eventually went to McDonald's.
Same here. There were bulls that i had feed with a bottle and raised from a calf, that i could be around in the pasture, but i never turned my back on him.

The idiots approaching bison? Especially after all the media and warnings? You mess with the bull, you get the horns. I'm just surprised more have not been killed.

Big difference in cattle, even angry bulls, and undomesticated bison!! A fully grown bison can weigh 2000lbs. And they are not used to being around people, they get pissed of quick, and are very territorial. We had Angus/Holstein bulls that were about 1000-1100lbs.

Last summer I was sitting in my truck at the Rocky Mountain National Park Bear Lake remote parking lot, waiting for the rest of the crew to get off the bus. This bull elk walked right in front of the truck and started having lunch from this tree. An utter moron had his kid go stand in front of the car so he could get a picture of him with the elk. I yelled, "Hey, are you stupid!?". They guy looked indignant, but did get his kid away from the elk. Stupidity knows no bounds.

I took the picture out of the window of the truck, because I know what animals can do.

IMG_E0796.JPG

Last edited:
I would guess most states have laws on the books similar to the OP. It does not protect the owner if gross negligence is involved. I'm not sure if this came after silly lawsuits such as snowmobilers tresspassing and getting injured by clothes lines, etc..

Wild animals are huge, pictures rarely do them justice. I had a pack of them pass by my and a few other cars while I was passing through Yellowstone. An awesome experience but a buffalo running into me is like a train tearing a car in half.

North Carolina is the same with agricultural tourism.

Saw a very similar sign at an apple picking orchard - in case you climb the tree for the perfect apple and fall out, it's on you and not the farm.

And that’s how it should be. Nature and animals, even domesticated ones are unpredictable. There should be no safety net in terms of a lawsuit for this kind of activity.

It would be the same as wanting to sue a national park because one fell and broke an ankle while hiking. Although I would not be surprised if people tried that already.

Back