Is your job / career at risk of Artificial Intelligence putting you in the unemployment line ?

Ws6, been there and done some of that. You trade a tiny bit of your own life with every badly injured patient you treat. Eventually you are flat out. At that point it's best to leave and find something else to do. Don't look back.

AI can't replace your job or your soul.

Ws6, been there and done some of that. You trade a tiny bit of your own life with every badly injured patient you treat. Eventually you are flat out. At that point it's best to leave and find something else to do. Don't look back.

One of my friend was a physician assistance (whatever it is called, not a nurse) that is treating mostly the you know what patients at the moment. Let's just say that he had enough of ungrateful people he is treating and bossed by and decided to give a 2 week notice, and just move on to another career.

He was probably the only person who care in his team, but that's probably why he gave up and leave.

Reactions: Ws6
Healthcare is not as easy as some people think it is.

The people that go into healthcare for the money quickly get burned out and leave.

No job or career field is without problems.

Appliance repair jobs are also disappearing not only because of the throw away culture (make sense when repair and maintenance labor is more than a new machine anyways), but also youtube DIY videos. Pharmacists are really over paid to sit around all day and can be easily teleconferenced when the technicians are on site.
Appliance repair jobs aren't really going anywhere. A larger appliance store I deal with can't find enough repair technicians and are currently backlogged almost a month. And if my $2,750.00 refrigerator breaks you can be sure I will want it repaired. In all of the pharmacies around my way the pharmacists are working their butts off trying to keep up. Sure these things will change but they aren't going away.
Twenty years ago I read that car body repair technicians jobs would be at risk. Again, in my area there is a shortage of these people and quite a backlog of work.

Last edited:
Appliance repair jobs aren't really going anywhere. A larger appliance store I deal with can't find enough repair technicians and are currently backlogged almost a month. And if my $2,750.00 refrigerator breaks you can be sure I will want it repaired. In all of the pharmacies around my way the pharmacists are working their butts off trying to keep up. Sure these things will change but they aren't going away.
Twenty years ago I read that car body repair technicians jobs would be at risk. Again, in my area there is a shortage of these people and quite a backlog of work.
You will want to repair it if the 2750 fridge is in warranty. When it is out of warranty and a $100 circuit board break, will you call a tech out to do it for $500 parts and labor, swap out yourself for $100, or replace the whole fridge for another 2750?

I wonder in the future, will central AC / HVAC be designed so that they only circulate coolants in the tube and have all the refrigerants inside the compressor, and you install them Mr Cool DIY style with only electricians install the line and you swap the module and burb the air in the coolant lines.

Pharmacists, they will be around for sure, but a lot of the long term prescriptions will be delivered by mail and you talk to a pharmacists not in store but via zoom in a call center.

It's not that. I dont mind that. It's the absolute subhuman trash you are treated like constantly by people who deserve zero except for the fact that they are homosapiens, and the fact that the only thing those above you care about is how happy you make those people. Outcomes don't even really matter anymore. It's all satisfaction scores, etc.

Healthcare is not as easy as some people think it is.

The people that go into healthcare for the money quickly get burned out and leave.

No job or career field is without problems.
No they don't. The people who go into healthcare thinking they will make a difference and or be respected, etc. are the ones who kill themselves or burn out the fastest. Those of us who do it for money tend to last the longest before we segue into something not front line, typically.

And before you do, dont give me any lame mess. You dont ask your mechanic if he loves and has a passion for Honda Oddessey or whatever. You just ask them to professionally fix it, so stow that "YoU NeEd To LovE iT." mess. You ask us all in the medical world to be treated like absolute trash and do a good job in an ethical way and then chide us for not loving it? Whatever.

Also, no, I don't know anyone who thinks healthcare is easy. If they do, it's just from a position of zero experience.

Last edited:
30+ years in my career field with the same employer.

I stayed cause it was easy, low stress , great benefits, pension, 6 week vacation, 95% of the time I worked alone and saw my boss once a year...... twice a year if I had an audit. All I really had to do was keep all my corporate metrics in the green and there was ZERO problems. Happy boss = sunshine & roses. ;)

I recommend a person find something they like to do without the craziness, that goes for all BITOG members. High stress and misery will eat you up inside and make you a bitter person.

Last edited:
30+ years in my career field with the same employer.

I stayed cause it was easy, low stress , great benefits, pension, 6 week vacation, 95% of the time I worked alone and saw my boss once a year...... twice a year if I had an audit. All I really had to do was keep all my corporate metrics in the green and there was ZERO problems. Happy boss = sunshine & roses. ;)

I recommend a person find something they like to do without the craziness, that goes for all BITOG members. High stress and misery will eat you up inside and make you a bitter person.

Agreed. I plan to become nonessential asap financially. The world can burn for all I care. I want that easy life, lol! Find some little cush deskjob. No real stress, no real threats, just chill. Funny thing is I know people who had cushy jobs that paid alright and went into my field. Insanity if you ask me.

I can't imagine my job function (property accountant) could easily be programmed into a computer - while accounting should be black and white there is a lot of gray area in between. There is a lot of weird stuff to evaluate.

I could imagine some portions of my job being automated but think it would still need a human review to confirm accuracy.

Don’t think so. And that’s interesting your hospital has a pharmacy I don’t think any of ours do I’ve never seen a hospital with a pharmacy.
All hospitals have dispensaries and some have retail pharmacies. Kaiser has retail pharmacies in several locations here. CPMC has a Walgreen's, I believe. They often carry less expensive generic versions that Walgreen's, CVS, etc don't carry.

I sold servers for IBM in Toronto....I went to some classes on AI .....My personal take on is its going to put lots out of work. Im retired now and doubt i will be alive long enough to see much of it but I remember one "class" we went to saying in less than 100 years you wont be able to tell human from robots just like in today's sci fi movies....creepy.....maybe much sooner.

I sold servers for IBM in Toronto....I went to some classes on AI .....My personal take on is its going to put lots out of work. Im retired now and doubt i will be alive long enough to see much of it but I remember one "class" we went to saying in less than 100 years you wont be able to tell human from robots just like in today's sci fi movies....creepy.....maybe much sooner.

Hold long did you work for IBM ?

I've been a bum for 19.5 years. I doubt AI will ever be needed to fill that role. Maybe for my hobby which I'm pursuing this weekend. But I doubt that too, as there likely wouldn't be many fans willing to pay to witness robots racing.

I've been a bum for 19.5 years. I doubt AI will ever be needed to fill that role. Maybe for my hobby which I'm pursuing this weekend. But I doubt that too, as there likely wouldn't be many fans willing to pay to witness robots racing.
Sure they will make bum robots and they'll go begging in the streets looking for more money to make more robots.

Or they'll make a retro park and it won't look authentic without bums so they'll have robot bums fill those roles.

Back