Adventures in checkout charity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oddly enough, look at the book I got from Surf City Garage as a gift today!!!

Job change could be the best thing for her!

2qnbi8i.jpg

Coincidence or not??

Meh - no reason for the cashier to chastise you as long as you're being pleasant.

Aside from the specific situation the OP experienced, I doubt most cashiers advocating for donations in those situations are doing it because they want to - they are forced to or quasi forced to as a function of their employment.

Personally, I've had to do some stuff like this, and I also remember selling M&Ms as a Cub Scout and Boy Scout outside supermarkets, etc. Being a bit older now I fully appreciate why it makes folks uncomfortable but also remember how it felt being on the other side of the equation.

I'm not a fan of store front charity but I have to admit it works for Scouts. When my son has done it, the troop makes $200 per kid per hour. They have 4 kids per shift. Several people hand them $20 hand don't even want the product. The begging won't stop anytime soon! We didn't harass anyone though...

^Whao - $200 per kid per hour? When I did it, we were selling a bag of candy for $1, which we paid +-$.50 for. Took about 2 8 hour shifts for 2 kids to make it through their minimum, which was ~$200 sold.

Guess we were picking the wrong stores/product.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I guess I'm a Scrooge. I don't like any charity stuff going on at the entrance to stores. I don't even like the Salvation Army bell ringers.

It takes all kinds. I do give through the United Way and other charities so I don't need it in my face like that.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
I'm not a fan of store front charity but I have to admit it works for Scouts. When my son has done it, the troop makes $200 per kid per hour. They have 4 kids per shift. Several people hand them $20 hand don't even want the product. The begging won't stop anytime soon! We didn't harass anyone though...

All I did in boy scouts was bake cookies
frown.gif

That's why I quit

One of the big discount chains in the area often had a table parked out front pushing some cause. I don't think I ever donated there. I was going to the store to buy something and didn't appreciate being hit up for donations.

I don't know if the practice is still going on. I rarely shop there anymore, partially because of that practice.

You didn't get her fired. Your information may have contributed to a firing that was bound to happen anyway, but it was not the sole cause.

Loudly commenting about a customer's choice like that is not an acceptable way to interact. This probably wasn't her first time behaving like that, and it was only a matter of time before she got herself canned.

I have never had a fast food or retail employee aggressively pursue a charity pitch. They always drop it after I say "no, thank you." An experience like the OP had would bother me too.

People who utilize their kids for "charity" are the worst though. Usually very aggressive and loud, and they try to encourage their kids to behave the same way.

It takes a specific type of person to be a good shill for charity. All these various fund raisers end up doing is alienating somebody. A lot of times the parents do the work instead of the kids. What does that teach? I'm getting off-topic, I know. When my daughter started in orchestra ten years ago the booster club "suggested" that if one didn't want their kid to mess with the fund raiser they could simply donate $50 to the club. Easiest check I ever wrote!

Though, that didn't teach my kid much, either.

Like Sludger, I quit the United Way deal when about 10 years ago when it was mentioned in a news story that the CEO of the St. Paul United Way was getting $400k/year. Charities are big business and rather than get on all the 'sucker lists' we have a conduit to get cash to individuals who are truely in need of some short term help. We don't worry about the tax writeoff. I doubt you were directly responsible for the gals firing-she probably had a number of 'strikes' already.

my job pushes United Way and every charity out there to automatically deduct from our paychecks. I haven't gotten a raise in years. They wonder why there is less than 30% of employees donating. The CEO and executive VPs are pulling in millions of dollars of year. they harass us with emails for charity donations during open enrollment. I get sick of it. If I said something, I would look like a scrooge and an ingrate. Just like others said, it's all about publicity to show how much my company "cares" about people and they get the big tax deduction write off. They are even saying they will match contributions to get us to give our money away up to 500 bucks.

yeah, Taco bell sucks. I did a survey for them four years ago. I gave 0 across the board. I was driving cross country from mount rushmore in South Dakota. We stopped off somewhere in Missouri to get gas and food. Taco Bell drive through short changed our food. I think we were missing two tacos and a burrito. the drive through employee kept my mastercard. She never gave it back to me. I didn't realize this until 20 miles down the road. I had to drive back and get my credit card. She left it on the counter. I was so mad. I gave a bad review on the survey. Someone from a Missouri Zip code called me. I didn't answer the phone. But it had to be from that survey I filled out.

I'm a veteran and for a charity I bring hot meals to a place where homeless veterans camp out/hide. I cut out the middle man and the overhead. They get no lectures from me, just hot food. Some of the food comes from restaurants that have extra food at night they they are legally supposed to throw out. The pitch I sometimes make is that I don't want your money just some time to help out, and that works but not too much with young people. I've had young people offer me their credit card for a donation but will not help otherwise. I don't take those offers. This little underground effort only exists because it's below the radar of politically correct busy bodies that would shut it down. It's being taken over by a friend because I'm now fighting some health problems but it basically a hands on operation that does not deal in cash.

I'm just curious what your exact response was, and how she reacted? I've seen people become disproportionately offended over non-issues, which prompted aggressive responses. Could that have happened here?

Almost everything at Taco Bell is [censored], but I do love their steak Grilled Stufft Burritos. steak (albeit pretty low quality,) rice, tomatoes, lettuce, guac., and sour cream - pretty legit burrito, to be honest.

//

As far as the donation, why would you not be able to claim it on your tax return? For those of you who do give in to the demands of fast-food charities, how much do you actually give at retail and fast food places? A buck? Ten dollars per year? I hope you're not missing out all of that return money!

In all seriousness, I've never had to do more than pleasantly say, "no thank you" and finish paying for the thing I buy. If some one gave me [censored], I'd hopefully be in a mood to cleverly give them [censored] back. If not, my typical Dexter-type response would probably work well enough...

I was taught from a young age that Charity is only truly Charity when it is given anonymously, without any personal gain or recognition.

I dislike how companies ask for charity and tips.

Last time I got hustled was at Home Depot of all places and I was still foggy from a $500 a plate dinner the night before for a scholarship fund.

If your going to give, give, if not don't pester people about it.

IMHO I prefer to help out with small local charities where the money and effort actually goes directly to helping people. In the example above the fund does some great work funding some kids college education who otherwise would be deeper in debt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I'm just curious what your exact response was, and how she reacted? I've seen people become disproportionately offended over non-issues, which prompted aggressive responses. Could that have happened here?

No, it was her being extremely loud about it from the get go with the people in line before me. Every time they gave in to the pressure and gave over the extra money, she would ring a loud bell and shout some slogan about saving the kids. When it got to my turn, I politely and discreetly declined. That was what caused the trouble.
"OH, SO YOU AREN'T GOING TO GIVE TO THE CHARITY? YOUR BUDDIES ARE GOING TO GIVE YOU A LOT OF [censored] NOW!"
She was fairly shouting it and could be heard from across the store, from the kitchen to the dining area.
I don't think her intentions were bad. She was trying to be funny, but in the worst way.
To describe her, maybe you'll get a better idea of what I am talking about. To my estimation, she was a middle aged woman used to talking loudly and speaking her mind all the time, and completely lacking refinement or a filter between thoughts and words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back