Store Coupons That are Not Coupons.

The supermarket I visit most has these too and I just ignore them. I just look out for the sale stickers on the shelves for stuff I want. About one out of 10 of those scan at the regular price so I've gone to taking a picture of the sticker for anything I buy on sale. After checking out I go to customer service to point that out and they refund the price and let me keep the item. I can save $5-$10 on an average visit.

Caveot Emptor. It’s been around for a long time. The burden lies on the purchaser to do his due diligence prior to purchasing. In this case the intent of the seller was to entrap the the most distracted, while abiding by the law. A bit like fishing, or as it’s called nowadays phishing.

Here is an analogy:

Mazda sends me a coupon that offers me an oil change and tire rotation for $110. ( That’s their going rate for synthetic). If I get that oil change done in the next month I will get a coupon good for $20 off on my next oil change.

Does that make sense or is it odd marketing?
Makes sense for the seller maybe not as much for the buyer. But then again if you are a regular shopper, just have to not lose the coupon if it is $x off any purchase. Not saying it is an ideal setup for the consumer but here’s an example that a bunch of people here probably participated in.

Shell runs a rebate on Pennzoil Platinum that is returned in a gift card redeemable at Shell gas stations.

Here is an analogy:

Mazda sends me a coupon that offers me an oil change and tire rotation for $110. ( That’s their going rate for synthetic). If I get that oil change done in the next month I will get a coupon good for $20 off on my next oil change.

Does that make sense or is it odd marketing?
FWIW Ford sends out battery and wiper blade coupons and the prices on the coupon are MSRP. It is very awkward.

Back