Store Coupons That are Not Coupons.

This seems to be a new gimmick to me. At the Fred Meyers where I shop we got a coupon for Goya coconut water. My wife loves the stuff especially when it’s hot outside. The coupon stayed up to $3 off depending on the amount you buy. So we picked up six cans to get the $3 off but at the checkout the cashier tells me that this was not a coupon. On the top in small print in says “Not a Redeemable Coupon.” The way it works is that you buy the product and then get a real coupon. So as she said, the receipt machine printed out a coupon for our next purchase.

Today we got the same kind of coupon for another product. I told the cashier that this is like a car dealership using a baiting technique. I don’t think she understood.

The whole thing is a scam. Anyone else come across these fake coupons yet?

For a long time now many coupons have said "not redeemable for cash" or "no cash value" and similar things. Are you sure that that's not what the text was referring to?

"The coupon stayed up to $3 off depending on the amount you buy."

Is that all it says? That's rather vague! Unless I knew what the specific offer was, I would have thrown the coupon in the trash and ignored it.

Anything that says "up to" gets ignored in my book! Mileage "up to", discounts "up to", savings "up to", etc are all just marketing nonsense IMO.

I've noticed for a while now that many of the items listed in the local grocery store "sales paper" are listed at full price!

Grifters all of them. I don’t do coupons or loyalty cards. They’re a scam mostly I found. I also shop at Walmart or Publix for the same reason.

Begrudgingly at Costco because the wife says. There membership is the same type of scam.

This is the “coupon” we got today.

1684442205581.jpeg

I don't understand the issue, it's effectively an ad for an on the spot rebate, paid I'm betting as a coupon for $$$ off any future purchase, pretty easy to use if you are a regular at the store. Your picture clearly says on a future order so it doesn't seem confusing to me.

Also, fairly certain those can be targeted Catalinas. Assuming you have a loyalty card I think those can be programmed to look at your purchase history and spit out targeted offers to either up your purchase quantity or switch brands. There's money in those store cards for stores.

I personally would obviously like the instant money off but factor it in when I decide whether or not I'm going to make a purchase.

I don't understand the issue, it's effectively an ad for an on the spot rebate, paid I'm betting as a coupon for $$$ off any future purchase, pretty easy to use if you are a regular at the store. Your picture clearly says on a future order so it doesn't seem confusing to me.

Also, fairly certain those can be targeted Catalinas. Assuming you have a loyalty card I think those can be programmed to look at your purchase history and spit out targeted offers to either up your purchase quantity or switch brands. There's money in those store cards for stores.

I personally would obviously like the instant money off but factor it in when I decide whether or not I'm going to make a purchase.

That I understand. We do have the loyalty rewards program there and use their app. The coupons we received before were good for purchase on our next visit. I don’t buy DiGornio pizza so that’s already a mute deal.

Fred Meyer is going 100% digital on their coupons starting the end of this month. I usually use those. It’s much more convenient.

As for stop shopping at FM, the big reason we go there is for their fuel rewards program. I have gotten as much as $1.10 off per gallon of gasoline using their rewards. Also, Kroger is buying Albertsons/Safeway so FM will be the big elephant in the area besides Walmart and Amazon

Here is an analogy:

Mazda sends me a coupon that offers me an oil change and tire rotation for $110. ( That’s their going rate for synthetic). If I get that oil change done in the next month I will get a coupon good for $20 off on my next oil change.

Does that make sense or is it odd marketing?

They are probably betting you will lose the coupon or forget about it. At best.

Maybe return what you bought and then use the coupon for same?

Reactions: GON
It says pretty clearly that it is not a redeemable coupon, and then again states the savings will be on future purchase.

Getting upset about this sounds unreasonable to me.

Here is an analogy:

Mazda sends me a coupon that offers me an oil change and tire rotation for $110. ( That’s their going rate for synthetic). If I get that oil change done in the next month I will get a coupon good for $20 off on my next oil change.

Does that make sense or is it odd marketing?
Does the original “coupon” state in clear English that it is not a coupon and that the savings will be on a future visit?

The way this best works is you buy the stuff, get the coupon, then put everything in your car, go back inside, and buy more with the coupon.

So it's $2.50 off three Dijournos, or 83 cents off each one. Worth it?

Or, is it $2.50 off "anything" at a future Fred Meyer stop? And what's this "up to"? They need to put the rules on the coupon.

That I understand. We do have the loyalty rewards program there and use their app. The coupons we received before were good for purchase on our next visit. I don’t buy DiGornio pizza so that’s already a mute deal.

Fred Meyer is going 100% digital on their coupons starting the end of this month. I usually use those. It’s much more convenient.

As for stop shopping at FM, the big reason we go there is for their fuel rewards program. I have gotten as much as $1.10 off per gallon of gasoline using their rewards.
Also, Kroger is buying Albertsons/Safeway so FM will be the big elephant in the area besides Walmart and Amazon
It's a merger, and AFAIK, it's not yet been approved. I could be a little behind on this, though.

Seems clear and direct to me. Doesn't appear to mislead in any way.
That is true. However... Check out my signature and the silly picture. Unfortunately, half the humans out there are of below average intelligence. A good number of them don't understand that the $3 off requires a considerable amount of product purchase, possibly more than needed, and the price reduction is less than stellar when averaged.

OTOH, BITOG is chock-a-block full of sharp folks.

8JnVl4C.jpg

Pretty clear from the language that you’re not getting anything off on this purchase. This is an offer to save on a subsequent purchase. Different than you’re used to experiencing.

Okay. Obviously I’m being stupid on this.

This thread can be closed.

Okay. Obviously I’m being stupid on this.

This thread can be closed.
I don’t think you’re being stupid. I think it’s a new marketing ploy and it is deceptive.

You pick it up and think it’s a coupon, good for this purchase.

Then you read what it says…and think, “those guys cheated me!”

I don’t do the grocery shopping in my household. So, I’m not familiar with this type of marketing deception.

I actually appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I bet a lot of us would’ve missed that language.

Back