Dave

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
i can't take it anymore.
Ordering this stuff today...now.
Stellar products.
Support American small businesses.

I feel the same.
cheers3.gif

Very impressive and great right up & nice pics to boot also. Dave and Dave seem like very courteous and kind men. Good for them overall!!!

Dale

My phone conversation with David Ward," the source of all knowledge" at HPL, was quite enjoyable. He shared a few things.

First, I told him I am considering 0w12 and 0w20, in addition to the spec'd 0W16.
He said to stay away from 0w12, per their testing, as it oxidizes quickly. If he had recommended 0W20, I would have used that, but he liked my choice of the 0W16 HD, for my circumstances.

I am using the appropriate very thin viscosity for my high tech engine, with its world class 41% thermal efficiency. Also as a mega- mile driver, I will benefit from the beefed up, enhanced additive package in using this heavy duty motor oil. My laser clad intake valves/seats and the piston ring region should remain relatively clean and free of wear for many hundreds of thousands of miles.
grin.gif

It is substantiated per David Ward that HPL is a high ester oil, with lots of polarity and calcium. To wit, David recommended that in order to establish a baseline, I should run a normal OCI, then draw a sample after 100 miles, on OCI #2. Then do UOAs with normal OCIs. What he essentially said is do not forget about the "scavenger effect," whereby metal particles on the surfaces are ultimately replaced by the bonded esters. Subsequent continual OCI's with this same high ester oil will inevitably yield great results.

David Ward also let me know that HPL uses the highest level of base stocks and additive components offered by Chevron. HPL does extensive in house testing, to get dialed in on their dosages and their blending. I am not shilling, just concluding that this is the correct oil for me, considering price, value, OCI, driving conditions, etc.

In conclusion, there will be no chasing of particles per million of Fe here, nor switching up of brands, formulas or grades. And by the way my TBN is a whopping 13.5 too. I am using this stuff and that is my final answer.

Originally Posted by Direct_Rejection
My phone conversation with David Ward," the source of all knowledge" at HPL, was quite enjoyable. He shared a few things.

First, I told him I am considering 0w12 and 0w20, in addition to the spec'd 0W16.
He said to stay away from 0w12, per their testing, as it oxidizes quickly. If he had recommended 0W20, I would have used that, but he liked my choice of the 0W16 HD, for my circumstances.

I am using the appropriate very thin viscosity for my high tech engine, with its world class 41% thermal efficiency. Also as a mega- mile driver, I will benefit from the beefed up, enhanced additive package in using this heavy duty motor oil. My laser clad intake valves/seats and the piston ring region should remain relatively clean and free of wear for many hundreds of thousands of miles.
grin.gif

It is substantiated per David Ward that HPL is a high ester oil, with lots of polarity and calcium. To wit, David recommended that in order to establish a baseline, I should run a normal OCI, then draw a sample after 100 miles, on OCI #2. Then do UOAs with normal OCIs. What he essentially said is do not forget about the "scavenger effect," whereby metal particles on the surfaces are ultimately replaced by the bonded esters. Subsequent continual OCI's with this same high ester oil will inevitably yield great results.

David Ward also let me know that HPL uses the highest level of base stocks and additive components offered by Chevron. HPL does extensive in house testing, to get dialed in on their dosages and their blending. I am not shilling, just concluding that this is the correct oil for me, considering price, value, OCI, driving conditions, etc.

In conclusion, there will be no chasing of particles per million of Fe here, nor switching up of brands, formulas or grades. And by the way my TBN is a whopping 13.5 too. I am using this stuff and that is my final answer.

You're not going to find better customer support. Their products are top of the line.
cheers3.gif

Hello and thank you to everyone for all of the kind words. It really does mean a lot as we do try very hard to provide a top notch product and have easy access to our staff. I do want to take a moment to clarify a couple of things from my conversation with Direct_Rejection. I was talking pretty fast and threw a lot of information out there during our conversation. First my concern with the 0W12 vs a heavier oil is related to volatility rather than oxidation stability. Even though we have an excellent track record in the NHRA with our lightweight oils I am not personally a fan of them for daily use. When blending the lighter oils you sometimes will need to use oils that have more volatility than you would prefer to make the viscometrics of the blend. That coupled with finer hones in the cylinders these days and low tension oil rings can lead to consumption issues collectively. To be clear our oils are extremely oxidation stable by comparison to most oils. With respect to the ester concentration, we choose to formulate with esters primarily to counteract the negative effect of PAO and other base oils on elastomers. We will use a high enough concentration of ester to accomplish this. That being said the ester will clean deposits left from the previous oil and put it in solution falsely skewing the initial sample data when using oil analysis. Lastly with respect to the TBN north of 13, this would be with ASTM D-2896 which will capture all the alkalinity in the oil.

We are a boutique company that creates products that exceed the accepted normal standards encountered by the API box. We do so by having excellent lab equipment and some extremely capable staff including Dr. Les Rudnick. Dr. Rudnick's knowledge is incredible. His knowledge and direction in our lab has allowed us very rapid development of products that first get proven in the racing world, and then to the products we produce both in the automotive and industrial markets.

In the near future I will be able to talk about some product lines that we are actively running through the lab that may be of interest to the BITOG community (that are looking for a legitimately premium product). The data we publish is always measured. We do not estimate or calculate our published results.

Thank you,

David Ward

Originally Posted by High Performance Lubricants

We are a boutique company that creates products that exceed the accepted normal standards encountered by the API box.

In the near future I will be able to talk about some product lines that we are actively running through the lab that may be of interest to the BITOG community (that are looking for a legitimately premium product). The data we publish is always measured. We do not estimate or calculate our published results.

Thank you,

David Ward

Looking forward to this product lineup.

I never followed a crowd always looking for a better way of doing things.

wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you feel about your products in a tgdi engine? I'm guessing calcium is on the higher end? Thanks.

Originally Posted by BTLew81
How do you feel about your products in a tgdi engine? I'm guessing calcium is on the higher end? Thanks.

The high amounts of moly, ZDDP, and ester counter LSPI despite the high amount of calcium. This is a more effective way of dealing with LSPI. API oils are restricted in phosphorus and sulfur content so they are forced into the less ideal method of reducing calcium.

The HDMO line follows this path. The PCMO line uses an API SP add pack as the base so it does have reduced calcium as well as some top treatment, though it's not as stout as the HDMO.

Last edited:
Anyone have a pds on the pcmo and hdmo oils? I'm interested in this for my 18 accord 2.0t and would love to support a very local company.

Last edited:
Back