5W-20, 0W-20 or 5W-30 for 3.6L Pentastar (Jeep)

Y’all win. When efforts to rectify a problem and drawing similar conclusions among professional fleet managers is regarded as lunacy based on a moon phase and/or feelings then my 40+ years in the industry was just dumb luck I guess. Working in the confines of fixed budgets and key performance measures creates the need to become open to new products etc., regardless of what a data sheet may contain. Some products work and some don’t. I admit I don’t have the background and education to discern why. All I know is what was tried and worked for the municipalities in the Carolinas. Maybe it’s not a moon phase but regional?? Bull shift…

And is most always the case, "real world" or "field" data does not have anywhere near the relevance people think it has. It's always based on perception and anecdotes which are highly subjective. The ugly truth that is often hard to understand is that it's nearly impossible to draw any real conclusions outside of a laboratory where multiple and significant variables can be controlled.

Illusory correlation:

Yes, but there is often variance between lab results and the field. The sample size of the field is much greater and subtleties in usage pattern variance isn´t always predicted in the lab. Both are valuable sources of data, IMO.

¨God help us! We are in the hands of engineers." Ian Malcolm

Debate away on the älleged design flaw..., quality issue, or materials flaw...or whatever it may be. Most of them don´t have this failure. Fact is, this engine has one of the lowest warranty cost claim rates in the industry, which is why it is still so widely used across the Stellantis product line. The fact is that most of them are run on the factory specified oil weight and they are well known for longevity with many, many very high mileage examples on the road every day.

I think these engines do just fine on 20wt oil. Just as millions of other engines do. I had a 2002 Ford F150 with a 5.4 and all it got was 5w20. I sold it to a friend. It has over 200k on it now and he continued the Mobil 1/Fram or Motorcraft regimine that I had used. I towed big boats with that thing, many times. I believe good cooling system maintenance contributes to it, along with other basic and sound maintenance practices.

Yes, but there is often variance between lab results and the field. The sample size of the field is much greater and subtleties in usage pattern variance isn´t always predicted in the lab. Both are valuable sources of data, IMO.

¨God help us! We are in the hands of engineers." Ian Malcolm

Debate away on the älleged design flaw..., quality issue, or materials flaw...or whatever it may be. Most of them don´t have this failure. Fact is, this engine has one of the lowest warranty cost claim rates in the industry, which is why it is still so widely used across the Stellantis product line. The fact is that most of them are run on the factory specified oil weight and they are well known for longevity with many, many very high mileage examples on the road every day.

I think these engines do just fine on 20wt oil. Just as millions of other engines do. I had a 2002 Ford F150 with a 5.4 and all it got was 5w20. I sold it to a friend. It has over 200k on it now and he continued the Mobil 1/Fram or Motorcraft regimine that I had used. I towed big boats with that thing, many times. I believe good cooling system maintenance contributes to it, along with other basic and sound maintenance practices.
Not my experience. Oil cooler leaking at 50K miles and a coolant leak that was either a head gasket or cracked head/block. Changing the oil cooler did not solve it. Color me unimpressed with the 3.6L engine and FCA's design skills...

For xW-20 oil, I think it depends on the power density of the engine. As you said, there are plenty of engines that run just fine on it and others that don't/can't.

No oil viscosity is a one size fits all...

Back