5W-20, 0W-20 or 5W-30 for 3.6L Pentastar (Jeep)

Just switched my 2016 Jeep Wrangler (3.6L) over to 5W-30 after the infamous oil cooler failed and I replaced it with the Dorman aluminum one. That engine is around 70K. Now that I've replaced the dadgum rocker bearings, tappets, etc. on my 2014 Grand Cherokee (same engine) at 127K miles, I'm thinking about moving over to the 5W-30 as well.

I'm down in hot San Antonio, TX. Thoughts on a year around swap and what brand would you guys recommend? I've been running Mobil 1 in both since I purchased them.

Dont think it matters much. If it makes you feel better 5w30 may protect better in extreme circumstances.. being 20% "thicker".

The pentastar is not known for fuel dilution though.

Just switched my 2016 Jeep Wrangler (3.6L) over to 5W-30 after the infamous oil cooler failed and I replaced it with the Dorman aluminum one. That engine is around 70K. Now that I've replaced the dadgum rocker bearings, tappets, etc. on my 2014 Grand Cherokee (same engine) at 127K miles, I'm thinking about moving over to the 5W-30 as well.

I'm down in hot San Antonio, TX. Thoughts on a year around swap and what brand would you guys recommend? I've been running Mobil 1 in both since I purchased them.
Have you noticed lower engine oil and coolant temperatures with the aluminum Dorman cooler?

I’ll probably get banned here but I’ve personally heard and seen valvetrain failures in engines using Mobil oil. Never these issues with Valvoline. 5W30 is a great choice for the heat of Texas.

I run 5W30 in my Wrangler - it’s had either Mobil 1 or Shell …
No change in oil pressure …

I'm under the impression that most pentastars can run fine on either weight and the various failure modes of these engines that might appear to be lubrication related probably aren't related to the oil viscosity and are more likely related to monday morning hangovers at the assembly/forging/machining plants or poor programming decisions on the variable rate electric oil pumps.

Personally, I would go down to walmart and buy the cheapest full synthetic 5Qt jugs of 5W-20 with MS-6395 on the back. If there's a HM or EP formulation (or both combined) with the MS-6395 on the 5qt bottle for a dollar or 2 more I might spring for that for fun to tickle that "makes me feel better about it" nerve. Quaker state will probably be the cheapest most days but sales on other brands come and go.

I would use a 5W-30 with the MS-6395 on the back of the bottle if the vehicle is being used for towing, track, or spending a lot of time at low speeds (off-road) or at idle with the AC running, as these conditions are apt to result in higher oil temps. Otherwise the 5W20 seems to serve these engines pretty well.

Last edited:
I like Valvoline HM 5W20 or 5W30. Is it better than any other weight or brand MS-6395? Probably not, but I like my wife's cooking more than my mothers too. Don't tell mom!

5W30 is fine but it won’t help with the rocker issue those 3.6’s have if that’s what you’re looking to prevent.

5W30 is fine but it won’t help with the rocker issue those 3.6’s have if that’s what you’re looking to prevent.

Do you believe those rocker issues can be resolved with a particular fluid selection (recommendations?)...

I'm of the belief that those issues are more a result of quality control, bad parts batches, etc.. fiat stuff.

Do you believe those rocker issues can be resolved with a particular fluid selection (recommendations?)...

I'm of the belief that those issues are more a result of quality control, bad parts batches, etc.. fiat stuff.
"No" to your first line because "yes" to your second line. Bad design and poor quality parts.

I'm sure you are already aware that there is a class action lawsuit on these issues (at least I think there is unless it was already resolved).

2014 Jeep GC Overland 164k miles on 5w/30 full syn and no issues runs like new. We also have Jeep Gladiator and running 5w/30 full syn in it as well no issues at 55k miles. I live in Texas too. I have been using Mobil 1 HM.

No. There was a poster here that ran 5w30 in his 3.6 its whole life (5w20 recommended year vehicle) and he had a bad rocker just over 100k as I recall. I’ve run 5w20 Mobil 1 regular, EP, AP, Valvoline and Castrol Magnatec 5w20 (for two separate OCIs)and was replacing my rockers at 108,000. My 5w20 and his 5w30 choice didn’t fix what is a flaw of this engine - clattering on startup - which I think is caused by the oil draining back due to the oiling setup. To your point though I believe Mopar is on their 7th version/part number of the rocker. So I think at least Stellantis thinks they’re getting crappy rockers.

Back