22 Acura RDX Synthetic Blend

I don’t understand the hesitancy of using a full synthetic in a modern engine.
For the Acura dealer, the consideration is cost. BTW the last time I checked, engine oils made for Acura and Honda were supplied by Phillips 66, formerly Conoco Phillips. Good stuff, but if the OLM for the RDX turbo typically goes 6-8K before reaching 10%, I'd prefer a full synthetic all day long.

aint got the first thing to do with it. you said "turbo= fully syn" sump size makes no difference
Ummm, yes it does... Smaller sumps can get much hotter, much quicker, this affects oxidation which in turn degrades the oil. If you've only got 4 quarts of oil, that's not a lot of volume with which to dilute those degraded oil products and once the additive package is overwhelmed, you'll get deposits.

A tiny 4-quart sump on a small turbo gasoline engine is a very different environment than that of an OTR diesel that holds 48 quarts. They also tend to spec very different grades of oil. A 15W-40 has a reasonably heavy base oil because of the 15W-xx Winter grade, so even being Group II, it's going to be more resistant to degradation than a thinner base oil of the same family, like say a 4cSt Group II that you might blend a conventional 5W-30 from.

Turbo=full synthetic, all the time, every time.
That 2015 R18 1.8 I ran the factory fill till four thousand, used one of my four freebies and they put 0w20 blend and I ran it four or five more then changed to 0w20 Magnatec FS. At 5,000 miles I would fill okay using full synthetic of the oem wt. But, with DI and or induction forced...I would use a 0w30 probably.

Ummm, yes it does... Smaller sumps can get much hotter, much quicker, this affects oxidation which in turn degrades the oil. If you've only got 4 quarts of oil, that's not a lot of volume with which to dilute those degraded oil products and once the additive package is overwhelmed, you'll get deposits.

A tiny 4-quart sump on a small turbo gasoline engine is a very different environment than that of an OTR diesel that holds 48 quarts. They also tend to spec very different grades of oil. A 15W-40 has a reasonably heavy base oil because of the 15W-xx Winter grade, so even being Group II, it's going to be more resistant to degradation than a thinner base oil of the same family, like say a 4cSt Group II that you might blend a conventional 5W-30 from.
Many Nissans have small sumps too, like 350Zs they overheat on track easy.

Now you're taking about base oils. Kind, or grade?

Really? Nothing to do with it?
Type of turbo? Cooling? Space available to design all that? Last time I checked Acura doesn’t have space under the hood that MACK has etc.
You obviously are not familiar with VW 1.8 Turbo issues in the US in 90’s and lack if those issues in Europe.
ok................so its not the oil, its the system that cools it

ok................so its not the oil, its the system that cools it
I would say when oil is used it depends on all factors. I am not sure that has to be pointed in this forum.
To add, type of exploitation. What you talking about makes xxxx miles every day. That Acura makes 10mls every day maybe, with 2-3-4 start ups.

Dealerships need to make money and they use the cheapest oil that meets the required specification. Looks like a syn blend meets the spec here. Clearly BITOG prefers full syn for the application but the "free" dealership services do not provide a choice. Bottom line, syn blend meeting the spec will not cause excessive wear, especially with the short service intervals. Don't worry, just switch to full syn after the dealer services are used up.

On 2.0t engine? How was your fuel dilution in 2.0t?
I haven't used it on the 2.0T yet, I have been using it in the K24, R18 and the 1.5T; The 1.5T oil reeks of fuel. I may use 5w-30 on the 2.0T based on your UOA's, so thanks again for posting those.

Honda also sold a 0w-20 syntheticBLEND oil
They don't require full synthetic. They require a current "API" 0w20 oil. So, doesn't need to be full synthetic.

I don't know what the cost savings are to a 'blend' when compared to a 'full' synthetic. Maybe someone at Hondacura can answer that.

I haven't seen the quarts sitting at the Honda parts counter in a while. But, they had the blend right next to the full synthetic with a minor price difference.

If it were my vehicle, I'd request a full synthetic, and then pay more since its not a requirement. Knowing what we know of certain Hondacura engines with fueling issues, I'd considered an analysis to see how the oil is doing with your driving style. I would adapt the grade and thumb my nose at the owners manual and Acura.

Looks like BP/SOPUS also have a 'blended' 0w20, which means bulk/totes can also be licensed toward API SP/GF6 and not be full synthetic for that 0w20 grade.

And, page 593:

Keep in mind that acura manual says 0w-20 is recommended oil, and not required. Whenever they require something, the manual calls it “specified”.

We own a 22 Acura RDX Aspec and got free oil changes for the vehicle. To my surprise the dealer uses Acura synthetic blend motor oil. It has the 2.0 direct injection turbo motor. I know it's probably a cost thing but shouldn't full synthetic be used. We are meticulous with the oil changes, change it every 3 to 4 months anyway, short distance driving. Who refines the Acura synthetic blend oil?
Exxon/mobil

Honda also sold a 0w-20 syntheticBLEND oil
They don't require full synthetic. They require a current "API" 0w20 oil. So, doesn't need to be full synthetic.

I don't know what the cost savings are to a 'blend' when compared to a 'full' synthetic. Maybe someone at Hondacura can answer that.

I haven't seen the quarts sitting at the Honda parts counter in a while. But, they had the blend right next to the full synthetic with a minor price difference.

If it were my vehicle, I'd request a full synthetic, and then pay more since its not a requirement. Knowing what we know of certain Hondacura engines with fueling issues, I'd considered an analysis to see how the oil is doing with your driving style. I would adapt the grade and thumb my nose at the owners manual and Acura.

Looks like BP/SOPUS also have a 'blended' 0w20, which means bulk/totes can also be licensed toward API SP/GF6 and not be full synthetic for that 0w20 grade.

And, page 593:

Get off the 0/20 spec. That’s for CAFE. They could actually care less. Only thing they care about is cafe and get past the warranty. Beyond that, you’re on your own and they’re no longer liable for repairs.

We own a 22 Acura RDX Aspec and got free oil changes for the vehicle. To my surprise the dealer uses Acura synthetic blend motor oil. It has the 2.0 direct injection turbo motor. I know it's probably a cost thing but shouldn't full synthetic be used. We are meticulous with the oil changes, change it every 3 to 4 months anyway, short distance driving. Who refines the Acura synthetic blend oil?
Synthetic blend good up to 5-6mon or 5-7500 miles. I read someplace awhile back it’s sort of preferred in turbo applications.

Back