22 Acura RDX Synthetic Blend

I could be wrong here, but basically what I came away with after reading this forum is that many "full synthetic" oils due to Group II and Group III content would be more accurately called "blends" but due to US law they're allowed to say full synthetic, and then some high quality "blends" end up being quite close to "full synthetic" ie, the Motorcraft oil. That and for something to meet 0w20 API SP or whatever, you'd need to make it "full synthetic" anyway.

Anyway, my sort of guess as to why a manufacturer endorsed oil like Ford or Acura would be called "synthetic blend" would maybe be about avoiding legal liability by not getting sued for their oil content not being true synthetic or not, and then possibly if the oil is for sale around the world with different legal requirements like Germany has, they would not have to change bottles, specs, etc.

I mean more than likely the dealer just uses whatever bulk oil they get, though.

There is no US law that "allows" anything, nor is there any US law that prohibits it either. It's based on the fact that hydrocracked Group III base stocks are in fact synthesized, therefore a synthetic.

What would make you think the Motorcraft oil is close to a full synthetic?

Back