2023 Toyota Camry 2.5 oil choice

According to the experts here on this site nothing is better then Pennzoil. Mobil 1?

I would go up a grade to 0W-20 for extra HTHS. Then after a while, if car running fine on 0W-20, I would experiment with 5W-30 for even more HTHS protection. Brand is unimportant, you should get same results with any full synthetic brand.

It "allows" for 0w20 as a temporary measure, in case 0w-16 isn't available. But it also says to use 0w16 at the next oil change.

Just like in 0w20 applications, it "allows" 5w20 until the next oil change.

TGMO 0w-16 has a stout additive package with a healthy dose of Moly and Boron, that other mainstream oils cannot meet. You have to go into boutique oils to meet the additive package, such as HPL's oil.
At almost 10 bucks a quart, TGMO is nearly at boutique prices. You're better off doing 2 x 5k oci with M1 or whatever is cheapest (instead of 10k/1yr per manual). The language around 0w20 is purely related to CAFE req.

I think you’re making a good choice, they want you to use it, probably best to while it’s under warranty. Until then, do some research and see what others are doing with your same vehicle. I’m sure out of warranty you’ll find that maybe a 0w20 will be ok. Although I did read somewhere that your engine is “sensitive” to the 0W16 and to use it? I think it was the car car nut that said that - and he’s a master certified Toyota tech.
I like The Car Care Nut and believe that there are very few folks who know Toyotas better than he does. However, some of what he says is opinion, not fact. I don't believe he's as knowledgeable about oil as he is about Toyota mechanics and repair. There are people on this site whose opinions I trust far more than TCCN's about oil.

Ok so you have said you will not be doing 10K mile intervals. Sticking with 5K/ 6 month intervals. Go to Walmart or autozone and get any name brand 0w16 and change it every 5K miles or every 6 months, whichever comes first.

The motor will live a long healthy life and you will have nothing to worry about. It’s not that big of a deal

I like The Car Care Nut and believe that there are very few folks who know Toyotas better than he does. However, some of what he says is opinion, not fact. I don't believe he's as knowledgeable about oil as he is about Toyota mechanics and repair. There are people on this site whose opinions I trust far more than TCCN's about oil.
It's more about the variable discharge oil pump, is why using 0w-16 is more critical.

It's more about the variable discharge oil pump, is why using 0w-16 is more critical.
You are still spreading conspiracy theories.
Others showed you that the same oil pump is used in markets where XW30 and 40 oils are used, but you still stick to ECU, which you never here managed to give us any proof. That was after you said that the oil pump is different, and when it was proven it is not, now it is ECU.
However, it seems that there are forum members that use thicker oil, and they are still with us. They did not died in horrible death from exploding engines.

So to OP, yes you can use thicker oil.

Redline HP 0w16 HTHS 2.7

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230515_220915_OneDrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230515_220915_OneDrive.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 38
When I owned a Toyota, I drove a brand new Camry loaner that was using the new at the time 0W20. Car ran fantastic - though I didn't like the car overall as the interior was cramped by the massive center console. When I went in for warranty service again about nine months later (yes toyotas break and fail like everything else) I was provided the exact same loaner. The thing ran terrible. Engine was extremely noisy and the car was low on power and cylinder balance was bad. I said to myself, "what a shame."

I have had only ONE engine last to 90K on a 20 grade oil out of six vehicles. Never seen a 2.5l last on a 20.
Just my small data point to add to the larger bucket.

I would monitor the racket and step up to a no vii HPL or at least a robust 5W20 if you have ANY indication of rod, skirt or T chain racket coming to the fore. No need for 0W. NONE.

@hrv, you know why that oil grade was chosen.
This post has to be a joke."No 2.5 last past 90k on 20".

About oil, yes. However when he mentioned the 0W16 and the engine he was specifying being sensitive, and him saying, folks, use the 0W16 in this engine, it’s very sensitive to it (I’m paraphrasing), I figured he knew something that we didn’t. That he either received factory Toyota training on the subject, or had personal experience with that engine/the 0W16/and its issues. Apparently it was just more an opinion.

But I agree, with oil, there are people around here I trust more than him or anyone.

My opinion...
Stick with what's in your manual as preferred and what's on the filler cap. Even though "we're sure it'll run fine on thicker", why risk an unnecessary back and forth with Toyota if something goes wrong.

Try Amazon.com for different brands of 0W16. I believe I saw Valvoline and others on there.

Reminds me when Ford for years recommend 5w-20 for most of their vehicles across the line and then through years of seeing the carnage on the HD trucks said uhh let's go 5w-30... That was in the manual too.
Well, I have one of those that was back spec'd to 5w-20. The '93 F150. I started with Motorcraft 5w-20 then M1 5w-20. Neither stayed in the engine very long.

About oil, yes. However when he mentioned the 0W16 and the engine he was specifying being sensitive, and him saying, folks, use the 0W16 in this engine, it’s very sensitive to it (I’m paraphrasing), I figured he knew something that we didn’t. That he either received factory Toyota training on the subject, or had personal experience with that engine/the 0W16/and its issues. Apparently it was just more an opinion.

But I agree, with oil, there are people around here I trust more than him or anyone.
If Toyota built that engine for their usual clientele, it can run 20W60. 99.99% of buyers of these vehicles can’t distinguish between Samsung refrigerators and vehicle. They will take vehicle to cheapest oil change place, many will get their friend to change oil, and Bill from down the street “always used Lucas 10W30 with great results.”

Back