2023 Toyota Camry 2.5 oil choice

I have the first version of the Dynamic Force engine in a 2018 Camry. Have mid 80,000 miles on it now. It doesn't matter much what you put in it, it's going to run fine. That said, I run 0w20 Pennzoil Ultra or Ultra Platinum, and change it at about 7500 miles. Oil is still golden colored when it's drained. No matter what it had (Free oil changed at Toyota...which I assume was a 0w16...or what I put in, including one run of Mobil 1 0w20), the color on the dipstick has never significantly darkened. That's not a scientific observation, but compared to any other engine I've had, this lack of color change is obvious...and I take it to indicate it's a clean-running engine that isn't hard on oil. The oil level stays right on the full hole on the dipstick the entire OCI, too. Very happy with this non-turbo 4 cylinder set up to generate over 200 HP in stock form while delivering 36-41 mpg with a non-economically-concerned family member driving it. I got over 50 mpg on it once with three adults in it by simply paying attention on a trip and staying at the speed limit. On an 800 mile trip, going 90 mph some of it, and averaging just over 70 mph, it got right at 40 mpg. It's keeping me from exploring hybrids...I could see their utility in stop and go city traffic, but, that's not how this car is operated.

Reminds me when Ford for years recommend 5w-20 for most of their vehicles across the line and then through years of seeing the carnage on the HD trucks said uhh let's go 5w-30... That was in the manual too.

That was likely not the fault of the oil.

No engine is sensitive like that.

And Car Care Nut doesn’t know what he’s talking about in that video. It’s been posted and discussed here a few times.
And members of the BITOG know more and designed the engine and components?

The Car Care Nut is correct here. Thicker oil will give an increase the oil pressure (that’s a basic) but the ECU will sense that and reduce the oil pump output.
… but the usual argument is “other markets allows up to 40 weight oil”.

Just like the BMW 0w-12 oil thread. BITOG knows more than BMW

It’s a natural BITOG phase. Join the crowd hating on something until they finally accept it, like Fram’s paper end caps until the Tear-o-laters occurred. But of course, BITOG has been right the whole time. Again the intro of 20-weight oil…. 20 weight oil will cause the engine to grenade. Use 30 or 40 weight oil instead. Now BITOG accepts 20 weight oil

The difference between 0w16 and 0w20 is negligible. It only matters in cold start emissions, that's why they use it. I put 5w20 Castrol EP in that motor for years, ran great. More important is 5k oil changes. I would supplement toyota care with an extra oil change. The manual "allows" for 0w20.

I wonder if the engine in this car will spec 0W8 in the near future…..I have a 2023 Corolla with the M20A engine on order. The owners manual was recently updated to spec 0W8 for non-hybrid Corollas built after a certain date in April I believe.

The difference between 0w16 and 0w20 is negligible. It only matters in cold start emissions, that's why they use it. I put 5w20 Castrol EP in that motor for years, ran great. More important is 5k oil changes. I would supplement toyota care with an extra oil change. The manual "allows" for 0w20.
It "allows" for 0w20 as a temporary measure, in case 0w-16 isn't available. But it also says to use 0w16 at the next oil change.

Just like in 0w20 applications, it "allows" 5w20 until the next oil change.

TGMO 0w-16 has a stout additive package with a healthy dose of Moly and Boron, that other mainstream oils cannot meet. You have to go into boutique oils to meet the additive package, such as HPL's oil.

And members of the BITOG know more and designed the engine and components?

The Car Care Nut is correct here. Thicker oil will give an increase the oil pressure (that’s a basic) but the ECU will sense that and reduce the oil pump output.
… but the usual argument is “other markets allows up to 40 weight oil”.

Just like the BMW 0w-12 oil thread. BITOG knows more than BMW

It’s a natural BITOG phase. Join the crowd hating on something until they finally accept it, like Fram’s paper end caps until the Tear-o-laters occurred. But of course, BITOG has been right the whole time. Again the intro of 20-weight oil…. 20 weight oil will cause the engine to grenade. Use 30 or 40 weight oil instead. Now BITOG accepts 20 weight oil
No, another misunderstanding that just keeps on going. The output of the pump will be just fine.

A bit of rational thinking about engine operation in various climates would help to understand this.

It "allows" for 0w20 as a temporary measure, in case 0w-16 isn't available. But it also says to use 0w16 at the next oil change.

Just like in 0w20 applications, it "allows" 5w20 until the next oil change.

TGMO 0w-16 has a stout additive package with a healthy dose of Moly and Boron, that other mainstream oils cannot meet. You have to go into boutique oils to meet the additive package, such as HPL's oil.
Yes and we should all know by now why the owners manual is worded that way. It has nothing to do with a technical requirement. Zero.

When I owned a Toyota, I drove a brand new Camry loaner that was using the new at the time 0W20. Car ran fantastic - though I didn't like the car overall as the interior was cramped by the massive center console. When I went in for warranty service again about nine months later (yes toyotas break and fail like everything else) I was provided the exact same loaner. The thing ran terrible. Engine was extremely noisy and the car was low on power and cylinder balance was bad. I said to myself, "what a shame."

I have had only ONE engine last to 90K on a 20 grade oil out of six vehicles. Never seen a 2.5l last on a 20.
Just my small data point to add to the larger bucket.

I would monitor the racket and step up to a no vii HPL or at least a robust 5W20 if you have ANY indication of rod, skirt or T chain racket coming to the fore. No need for 0W. NONE.

@hrv, you know why that oil grade was chosen.
Something about your experiences you share just don’t add up.

Back