2023 Jetta?

250,000 miles on my 2017 Corolla and the CVT feels the same as a new car. 197,000 miles on my 2003 Honda CVT with no issues. No service history on either but wouldn't hesitate buying again. Now for the Nissan CVTs I've had, I'd avoid them if keeping it much past the warranty.
I wonder if that's the original fluid in the Corolla. Are you going to change it out with some fresh fluid?

Just built a Jetta S in VW's configurator and came to an MSRP of $21,760. It's quite a deal with the 6MT, avoiding what has been reported to be a poorly tuned 8AT. Nice tall sidewalls if one avoids the one-above Sport trim and the Jetta is proclaimed to have the nicest ride quality in the mainstream compact sedan segment. The 1.5T does have a timing belt.

The 1.5T does have a timing belt.
Do they really? did not look deep enough. Quick look indicates it's "lifetime" and "inspect at 100k or 150k", or somesuch. Possiblye inspect at 150k and every 20k thereafter? Bummer. But better than problematic chains--assuming it's changed before breaking.

Do they really? did not look deep enough. Quick look indicates it's "lifetime" and "inspect at 100k or 150k", or somesuch. Possiblye inspect at 150k and every 20k thereafter? Bummer. But better than problematic chains--assuming it's changed before breaking.

I would start inspecting at 100k, but that's personal preference. From the few posts about Jetta timing belts on the VW Vortex forum, the OE belts seem to last well into the 150k range, so VW may have warranted confidence in their longevity. I should also mention the incredible highway fuel economy these Jettas are purported to get; rated at 42 mpg, a lot of people report getting closer to 50 mpg, which is incredibly close to hybrid territory. The 6MT is long-geared and the car really slips through the air.

I would start inspecting at 100k, but that's personal preference. From the few posts about Jetta timing belts on the VW Vortex forum, the OE belts seem to last well into the 150k range, so VW may have warranted confidence in their longevity. I should also mention the incredible highway fuel economy these Jettas are purported to get; rated at 42 mpg, a lot of people report getting closer to 50 mpg, which is incredibly close to hybrid territory. The 6MT is long-geared and the car really slips through the air.
Yeah, saw that. Tempting. Liked my old Jetta. Will see, but doubt I'll make the jump into a new one. Still, fun to look.

I bought a 2019 Jetta SE in Feb 2020 for 18,800 out the door as my wife was doing a 100 mile round trip for a work assignment.
Well when the shutdown happened we suddenly had a car we didn’t need and carvana gave me a check at my door for 22,800 for a two year old car with 27k miles on it.
We put 180+k on our 2011 Jetta and I had just received my second timing belt kit for it when it was totaled by getting sideswiped twice in a month.
Both cars were solid, handled great and had good room and large trunks. Solid A to B transportation.
I never had any problems working on my VW and Audis. Besides buy a good set of triple squares and some odd 19 or 17 mm sockets I’ve done everything from DSG fluid changes, wheel bearings, timing belts etc. They are just cars and most parts are no more expensive than anything else. VW has 4 cylinder engines perfected except maybe for the water pumps lol.

The Jetta is a great value for what you pay, especially in the lower trims. I’d still avoid a manual due to clutch issues but even with the automatic real world mpg is crazy good. I averaged 40 overall on summer gas and got 46 on a trip to KY cruising at 75. Very common.

The automatic is much better in Sport mode (which is where mine permanently resided) but was still annoying in the 2/3 range. I mostly could overcome that with the throttle but not entirely.

The belt is a complete non-issue, IIRC correctly it’s not even to be checked until 120k and there are numerous reports of them typically greatly exceeding that. It’s a rare original owner that will still even own the car by the time it is due.

The belt is a complete non-issue, IIRC correctly it’s not even to be checked until 120k and there are numerous reports of them typically greatly exceeding that. It’s a rare original owner that will still even own the car by the time it is due.
I owned an '04 Jetta wagon from '04 to '15, and put 314k onto it. 3 or was it 4 belts? don't remember now. One turbo after it grenaded, and one clutch when the DMF started making noise. Front wheel bearings, struts twice and rear calipers twice (and one set of brake pads, maybe two?). Was doing 32k+ per year back then, all highway. Do less now but the wife and I like to think in terms of decades when planning things out.

But I hang out on BITOG, so I'm an odd duck. ;)

I owned an '04 Jetta wagon from '04 to '15, and put 314k onto it. 3 or was it 4 belts? don't remember now. One turbo after it grenaded, and one clutch when the DMF started making noise. Front wheel bearings, struts twice and rear calipers twice (and one set of brake pads, maybe two?). Was doing 32k+ per year back then, all highway. Do less now but the wife and I like to think in terms of decades when planning things out.

But I hang out on BITOG, so I'm an odd duck. ;)
Didn’t you have failing transmission bearings?

Didn’t you have failing transmission bearings?
Maybe? I did an SMF clutch and while it was wicked light, at the I wondered if it might have knackered the trans. But it was still going quite well all the same, so…

im very happy with my 2013 2.5 passat, but always enjoy looking as it has 112k reliable miles on it but wont last forever. i leisurely test drove a 2019 1.4t jetta, nice except seemed to me that it ran out of steam at highway passing speeds. how is the 2022-23 1.5t in the jetta? in a way too-brief 2022 taos test drive the 1.5t seemed fine…

No issues at all with our 2019.

Gas, Maintenance...

The auto is fine.

Gets in the well into 40s on interstate trip with reasonable speeds.

Jettas are solid economy sedans. The 1.4 (?) gets amazing mpgs. Any past issues (>10 years now) w/r to timing chains is no longer an issue. Biggest VW fail in recent models has been cooling system related (water pumps).

Last edited:
Not finding threads about the clutch issues. Have not dug deep enough about the 8 speed automatic either. Was looking at used cars, then their known problems, then looping back to here…

Not finding threads about the clutch issues. Have not dug deep enough about the 8 speed automatic either. Was looking at used cars, then their known problems, then looping back to here…
Shouldn't be any clutch issues. 8 spd is by Aisin...same trans as in my Atlas. Solid unit just overly eco-focused shift map.

im very happy with my 2013 2.5 passat, but always enjoy looking as it has 112k reliable miles on it but wont last forever. i leisurely test drove a 2019 1.4t jetta, nice except seemed to me that it ran out of steam at highway passing speeds. how is the 2022-23 1.5t in the jetta? in a way too-brief 2022 taos test drive the 1.5t seemed fine…
Yes the turbo is a bit small, and has that run out of hi rev boost letdown, but I found that after break in, supplementing the 508/509 oil with a 1/2l of 0W40 FS quieted the engine and allowed it to rev strong to 5500+ RPM instead of wheezing at 4700 or so. But the engine WANTS majority 508 oil to run properly at lower RPM.

The little extra top-end oomph may well be a combo of ring sealing, more cam retard with the VVT and less HLA bleeddown. It's there for real.

In the Jetta, I still cant get around that "hunkered in a bunker" feel with that high windshield cowl, low seating and near zero rear visibility Not a good vibe for us claustrophobic types. The stock FALKEN Sincera SN250 A/S tires on the S might last 10k miles to the wear bars in a very good year if you are lucky.

A snooker game once played in budget Asian vehicles - the magic disappearing tire tread. - Ken

Spate of issues with converter lockup around the time I got my 2019.

How soon some VW fanatics "forget".

Spate of issues with converter lockup around the time I got my 2019.

How soon some VW fanatics "forget".

Thanks, it's an AWF8F35 transmission then. Wasn't finding what it was, so as to look up how much of a pain it'd be to do a D&F or properly flush/exchange, nor what fluid, etc.

Back