Ultra Power 51342 Cut Open

cptbarkey

$50 site donor 2024
I bought 7 Ultra Power 51342's from Rock Auto as a clear gamble. I was searching for XG3600's and then this came up. They were $.82 cents each. After opening I'm unsure if I would run this in an actual automobile. OPE I think might be a yes, I like to work on riding mowers and other things. I'm soliciting judgement as others are better at this than myself.

Enough talk, onto the photos and commentary.

It came in a box labelled Super Auto. It says 99% efficiency but no micron anywhere. I found 3 or 4 other threads of Super Auto's, 1 looked like a sludge car, the others were not super excited. One Youtube video however was somewhat impressed.

Plastic covering, nice. Seen that on OEM and a few others. Oil change sticker, nice and a rare find.

1693086032440.png

Part number. Their stamper needs a little maintenance.

1693086175922.png

Oh dear. I aint tapping that. Neither did they! Thankfully bought 7 and only 1 was "unfinished." Maybe they knew I was going to sacrifice one for science.

1693086084793.png

Chicago Electric working great and tossing sparks. I'll stop my commentary here because you folks are better then me, but I will page @53' Stude because he has gracefully cut open many for the community. Appreciate you very much for the data.

1693086259680.png

1693086290863.png

1693086323371.png

1693086441495.png

1693086882869.png

Here is my amateur questions:
1) is the waviness a concern? Have seen several used filters cut open that were wavy. This one is wavy out of the box.
2) What kind of media is this?
3) I took the louvers photo in direct sunlight and can see no sunlight, but I do see clearly lighter spots.

Enjoy and happy Saturday.
1693085900103.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If the adbv came directly out of the can exactly as shown, I'm going to say it's defective. The adbv should be concave to the baseplate so it can cover and seal off the inlet holes. Also, it appears the outlet tube center is not covered by the adbv collar, thus not sealed and could well be an area of oil bypass. Reminds me of the post use c&p Gonher made Nissan OEM I posted and found a similar looking adbv, only it is silicone.

Including adbv and ugly pleating, being kind, very unimpressed by this filter. If topic representative example, I wouldn't use them. One thing certain, "premium" it's not.

No threads tapped... Well, that's not good. Maybe these were some rejects that were unfortunately sold. That's why they were so cheap because they knew they were poor quality. We just can't decide if this brand is junk all the way around or if these were an off junk run but who knows how many of these are floating around. I wouldn't run them on my mower. Thanks for sharing this and bringing it to the attention of the forum.

No threads tapped... Well, that's not good. Maybe these were some rejects that were unfortunately sold. That's why they were so cheap because they knew they were poor quality. We just can't decide if this brand is junk all the way around or if these were an off junk run but who knows how many of these are floating around. I wouldn't run them on my mower. Thanks for sharing this and bringing it to the attention of the forum.
Thank you for the C&P.
I second Fantastic's assessment and recommendation. What country were they made in?

Due to the critical function of the oil filter I avoid purchasing them on-line because I can't inspect them prior to purchase.

Looks like the filters made in the video I saw earlier. How cheap oil filters are made. Hand made. Tried to link it here but evidently I don’t know how.

Last edited:
Cut open another one today, what I think is a "good" one. It it tapped at least. No country of origin anywhere. Peeled back the ultra power label, no info. The stamping on the part number looked better.

I left the ADBV in place for the photo. The ADBV is really small, flimsy and thin. @Sayjac I believe your assessment here is spot on, the depth of the ADBV coverage is maybe 1 millimeter. To Contrast i screengrabbed Whip City Wrencher with a Supertech ADBV that at least has some depth.

These will probably go to the garbage bin. Hope this helps someone, Ultra Power is an Ultra nogo for myself in the future.

1693164219187.jpg

1693164168204.jpg

1693164294934.jpg

1693164696366.jpg

1693165008861.jpg

Back