Rental car review - 2021 Toyota Corolla LE

Cars are really ugly these days.
Generally speaking I agree, but the latest gen Corolla is the best looking one yet. The Corolla keeps getting prettier, while the Civic keeps getting uglier...

I was given a 2017 Corolla as a loaner and it had the CVT. That thing felt quick to me. Step on it on the highway and the CVT instantly allowed the engine to rev right to the sweet spot of the power band. I thought it accelerated pretty hard for a little 1.8 liter, and certainly much quicker than my '04 Corolla...

I was given a 2017 Corolla as a loaner and it had the CVT. That thing felt quick to me. Step on it on the highway and the CVT instantly allowed the engine to rev right to the sweet spot of the power band. I thought it accelerated pretty hard for a little 1.8 liter, and certainly much quicker than my '04 Corolla...
If your '04 Corolla has 437k on it, there is a slight chance that a few of the ponies have slipped out of the stable over the years.

That and the 4AT with its limited gear ratios (all 4 of them, which is less than that when you put your foot into it, you have what 2 and then you're not far from top speed?) does mean just what you say, these CVT's can now put the rpm where the ECU thinks is the best spot for the power requested--it now has control over throttle opening, valve timing, spark and fuel, and now even the RPM.

I'm not sure I've gone flat out in mine (fears of the glass CVT!) but it seems to do fine against my '99 Camry with its *ahem* 138hp and 4AT. While being around 40mpg (haven't checked in a few days, the readout has dropped, maybe it's time for winter gas?).

If your '04 Corolla has 437k on it, there is a slight chance that a few of the ponies have slipped out of the stable over the years.

That and the 4AT with its limited gear ratios (all 4 of them, which is less than that when you put your foot into it, you have what 2 and then you're not far from top speed?) does mean just what you say, these CVT's can now put the rpm where the ECU thinks is the best spot for the power requested--it now has control over throttle opening, valve timing, spark and fuel, and now even the RPM.

I'm not sure I've gone flat out in mine (fears of the glass CVT!) but it seems to do fine against my '99 Camry with its *ahem* 138hp and 4AT. While being around 40mpg (haven't checked in a few days, the readout has dropped, maybe it's time for winter gas?).
Glass CVT? I've heard the CVTs in the Corollas are pretty decent...much better than the early ones from Nissan...THOSE were glass...

Problem with CVT, the pully ratio doesn't allow a low, low range; result is lazy off the line - like you started in 2nd gear.
This can be made up with a sloppy, high stall mini torque converter with a quick lockup like in my wife's last Crosstrek. That got you off the line, then it locked up around 15 MPH or less depending on load.

I recall a decade ago early CVT in some subcompacts also employed a 2-speed planetary set. So, they now had a geared low and high range, then with a pusher shim stack "belt" CVT on top of that.

This "hybridization" unfortunately defeated the "simplicity" angle of the CVT as used in a snowmobile -

snowmobile CVT.jpg

Had a Corolla as a rental few weeks ago, besides good MPG nothing was good about it. Very loud, the is interior not only feels cheap, but is cheaply made as well and something rattled inside already.

The CVT/engine combo felt good.
Most Toyotas we had included the additional RATTLE package 😬🤪. Fixed most of them myself . This includes new TOYOTAs we test drove .

Had a Corolla as a rental few weeks ago, besides good MPG nothing was good about it. Very loud, the is interior not only feels cheap, but is cheaply made as well and something rattled inside already.

The CVT/engine combo felt good.
They let it be that way so people go buy the Camry.

They let it be that way so people go buy the Camry.
No kidding, I *have* the same year Camry (well the wife does) and boy have I noticed that. Way too often have I commented on that... I've contemplated swapping cars... with my daughter... to get my '99 Camry back!

On the plus side though, it shares a bit with that old Camry, not a drab all-black interior, and it has decent visibility and size.

No kidding, I *have* the same year Camry (well the wife does) and boy have I noticed that. Way too often have I commented on that... I've contemplated swapping cars... with my daughter... to get my '99 Camry back!

On the plus side though, it shares a bit with that old Camry, not a drab all-black interior, and it has decent visibility and size.
My mom has a 2007 Matrix. No noise insulation whatsoever Never tried a similar year Camry. Did buy a 1996 Camry that had a small exhaust leak I didn't catch even during a test drive...part of the reason was that it was still quieter than the Matrix....

Back