2023 Jetta?

Out of morbid curiosity, I looked to see what was available new. Did not realize one could get a Jetta for around $23k new. That’s almost affordable! And tempting since $10k on the used marked gets something with 200k on the clock and who knows what for gremlins. 6 speed manual and supposedly limited rev hang?

The pics and videos I’ve seen of it make it look like it’s a nice ride. But low profile rubber and a “not recommended for towing” helps brings things to a stop (along with the fact that I really wanted a wagon). Funky seat texture too. Oh well, it was fun looking…

Side question: Has VW has figured out timing chains? Pre 2.5’s it seemed like they were a gamble, prone to failure. Not sure how the 1.4’s worked out, but was watching a vid last night on replacing a cam due to VVT phaser failure, not sure if that was just single model failure or what (think it was a 2.0). Are they past all that now? and have their DI sorted out, or are they one of the ones that need walnut blasting every 100k?

Back to look at used (oh joy).

Double darn. I just mentioned VWs to wifey yesterday.
Prompted by my friends having owned 3 Mitsubishi Outlanders (2011, 2013 and a 2016GT), I took a squint at the new ones.
$24K to $26K ICE. You can spend $48 for a compound technology version.
What's the overall vibe on the current Outlanders?

We have 2 VW's a 2008 Jetta SE with 185+k miles on it that has been VERY reliable. The other is a 2071 Jetta SE with the 1.4t and it has 80k miles with zero issues.

Prompted by my friends having owned 3 Mitsubishi Outlanders (2011, 2013 and a 2016GT), I took a squint at the new ones.
Don’t hear much about Mitsu but want to say, nothing bad? Can’t imagine resale being any good, only reason they have any today is because of today’s ridiculous market on used cars.

Hard to believe that still are around, at least still selling passenger vehicles. Isuzu saw the light years ago and only sells commercial vehicles here. I would assume Mitsu will do the same in the near future.

Check out the Nissan Rogue.

Same vehicle.

OK. I think I know the general vibe on Nissans.
Without compelling data I'll run from the Nissan dealership like a scalded dog.

On the related point of CVTs; I don't like 'em either but they must've been improved upon over the years, no?
Is there an overall thing a CVT owner can do....like just using a lighter foot on the gas?

OK. I think I know the general vibe on Nissans.
Without compelling data I'll run from the Nissan dealership like a scalded dog.

On the related point of CVTs; I don't like 'em either but they must've been improved upon over the years, no?
Is there an overall thing a CVT owner can do....like just using a lighter foot on the gas?
Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance......keep fluid extremely clean and consider putting an extra external filter on it. Also purchase an extra warranty that specifically says the CVT is covered regardless of mileage / time intervals.

Don’t hear much about Mitsu but want to say, nothing bad? Can’t imagine resale being any good, only reason they have any today is because of today’s ridiculous market on used cars.
Mitsubishi resale is great.
Only those that never owned them claim that. I got far better resale on mine than most other brands.

Actually, my friends (with 3 of them) claimed to have done well by trading them in before 70K.
That they pile on the miles keeps the trade-ins looking young.
I can do without 18" and 20" wheels, however. That's foolishness.

Been an exclusively VW guy for the past 16 years and had zero issues with any of the 10 we've had except the Passat wagon I bought used 2 years ago. But even that one is a cream puff, purchased for $7200 with 120K, in great shape inside and out. Great, comfy road car as we've taken it on several long distance trips, and it hauls a ton of stuff. Now has 145K and new timing chains due to previous owner doing the 10K oil changes. As long as the oil stays in good shape and is changed more often, especially the older, "dirtier" ones, the chains will last a really long time. Still will have to walnut blast it at 200K, but thats the nature of the DI beast. Newer VDubs are much cleaner though.

If you want a VW "wagon" these days, check out the Tiguan or Taos.

250,000 miles on my 2017 Corolla and the CVT feels the same as a new car. 197,000 miles on my 2003 Honda CVT with no issues. No service history on either but wouldn't hesitate buying again. Now for the Nissan CVTs I've had, I'd avoid them if keeping it much past the warranty.

Been an exclusively VW guy for the past 16 years and had zero issues with any of the 10 we've had except the Passat wagon I bought used 2 years ago. But even that one is a cream puff, purchased for $7200 with 120K, in great shape inside and out. Great, comfy road car as we've taken it on several long distance trips, and it hauls a ton of stuff. Now has 145K and new timing chains due to previous owner doing the 10K oil changes. As long as the oil stays in good shape and is changed more often, especially the older, "dirtier" ones, the chains will last a really long time. Still will have to walnut blast it at 200K, but thats the nature of the DI beast. Newer VDubs are much cleaner though.

If you want a VW "wagon" these days, check out the Tiguan or Taos.
Good to know.

Not after an suv/cuv, they have the utility, and would be short enough to fit in my garage but would dislike the looks I’d get around here.

Out of morbid curiosity, I looked to see what was available new. Did not realize one could get a Jetta for around $23k new. That’s almost affordable! And tempting since $10k on the used marked gets something with 200k on the clock and who knows what for gremlins. 6 speed manual and supposedly limited rev hang?

The pics and videos I’ve seen of it make it look like it’s a nice ride. But low profile rubber and a “not recommended for towing” helps brings things to a stop (along with the fact that I really wanted a wagon). Funky seat texture too. Oh well, it was fun looking…

Side question: Has VW has figured out timing chains? Pre 2.5’s it seemed like they were a gamble, prone to failure. Not sure how the 1.4’s worked out, but was watching a vid last night on replacing a cam due to VVT phaser failure, not sure if that was just single model failure or what (think it was a 2.0). Are they past all that now? and have their DI sorted out, or are they one of the ones that need walnut blasting every 100k?

Back to look at used (oh joy).
Only paid $16,500 for my 2019 a couple years ago. Then I leased it.
Industry's SHORTEST (?) Powertrain Warranty of 4/50k.

Critique:
Poor rear visibility, and a very high front windshield cowl, dashboard top (and I am over 6 feet)
Soft dampers allows chassis to bottom out - even in freeway driving - a S.E expressway white knuckle (!)
Terrible, axle-destroying wheehop and tramp up front in rain and snow
BAD rearward visibility, small side mirrors - basically "bunker driving"
Numb, over assisted E-power steering
Poor water drainage and debris management in the trunk and rear doors
Not much room in the back seat.
It doesn't really go in the N.E. snow.

Good interior ergonomics, relatively comfortable seats
Excellent touch screen user interface and software - and - great radio control options
Fold down rear seats, H-U-G-E trunk
Good, strong power brakes
Smooth "luxo" ride - Hey Buick!
Torquey, zippy engine with the six speed manual (the ONLY way to fly)

I would say the Crosstrek Premium for two grand more is probably well worth it, But the Jetta is far superior for regular long Highway Jaunts

Then there is the new Corolla hatchback SE.

and The Mazda CX30 - is it the best value of all?

Only paid $16,500 for my 2019 a couple years ago. Then I leased it.
Industry's SHORTEST (?) Powertrain Warranty of 4/50k.

Critique:
Poor rear visibility, and a very high front windshield cowl, dashboard top (and I am over 6 feet)
Soft dampers allows chassis to bottom out - even in freeway driving - a S.E expressway white knuckle (!)
Terrible, axle-destroying wheehop and tramp up front in rain and snow
BAD rearward visibility, small side mirrors - basically "bunker driving"
Numb, over assisted E-power steering
Poor water drainage and debris management in the trunk and rear doors
Not much room in the back seat.
It doesn't really go in the N.E. snow.

Good interior ergonomics, relatively comfortable seats
Excellent touch screen user interface and software - and - great radio control options
Fold down rear seats, H-U-G-E trunk
Good, strong power brakes
Smooth "luxo" ride - Hey Buick!
Torquey, zippy engine with the six speed manual (the ONLY way to fly)

I would say the Crosstrek Premium for two grand more is probably well worth it, But the Jetta is far superior for regular long Highway Jaunts

Then there is the new Corolla hatchback SE.

and The Mazda CX30 - is it the best value of all?

Interesting. I do a fair amount of highway, and with WFH I try to stay off the roads when it snows (but would get snows all the same). But WFH might not forever, so I have no idea as to how many miles a year I will be doing. Over 100 a day commuting, and right now its 2-3 per week. My 5s-fe is getting it done but sometimes I wonder, sometimes I think its struggling more lately, downshifting more soon than it used to.

But I miss the utility of a station wagon trunk.

I could be wrong but no major manufacturer today has only three models for sale and is flourishing. I thought Mitsubishi would have by now significantly added to their lineup. Year 2021 they sold 102k vehicles 2022 85k vehicles. Not sure what they are looking like this year. The Jettas are real nice. If the local vw dealership has one with a manual definitely snap it up. If it's a gli then doubly so.

Interesting. I do a fair amount of highway, and with WFH I try to stay off the roads when it snows (but would get snows all the same). But WFH might not forever, so I have no idea as to how many miles a year I will be doing. Over 100 a day commuting, and right now its 2-3 per week. My 5s-fe is getting it done but sometimes I wonder, sometimes I think its struggling more lately, downshifting more soon than it used to.

But I miss the utility of a station wagon trunk.
Oh I forgot - near 40 MPG average with the 1.4T - which really has the power of a peppy 3.0 litre V6!

not in the market BUT Mazdas look to be a good deal + depending on what you want they are decently priced. older VWs has been good for me as well as my fun retirement present me to me a 2001 TT 225Q ROADSTER!! as noted the CX30 is a good buy with AWD + of course unloved sedans ALWAYS a good value with BETTER mpgs. loved the VW sportwagens as well but only available as preowned when i got interested. you gotta shop around as one local Subie Mazda Nissan dealer is about 3G's higher on comparable models from dealers about 75 miles away!!

Back