2023 Jetta?

If you know how to properly drive a stick, the clutch will outlast the rest of the car.
I've yet to replace the clutch in any of my cars, pickups, or jeeps.
Two weeks ago I replaced the clutch in one of my semi trucks, but the original clutch made it to 2,439,000 kms.
The concern was from another poster stating the current jetta clutches were prone to failure.

But agreed that a good clutch , when driven properly, can last a very long time

The concern was from another poster stating the current jetta clutches were prone to failure.

But agreed that a good clutch , when driven properly, can last a very long time
Indeed. Across several cars, I've only had 2 clutch related issues: one, the pressure plate lost a spring (rust breakage, disc was fine), the other was a VW DMF failure. Most of them were not taken much past 200k but a couple sure were.

I think VW has easy to replace clutches? I watched on my MkIV. Guy had it out and back in, like 3 hours? maybe 4, don't remember now. He actually made it look easy, no lift involved (he didn't have one). This would have been like 10 years ago but it was $700 total, half for the upgraded clutch, half for the install. Not a bad gamble IMO.

Still on the fence. Was looking at some local Volvo wagons (as I want a wagon darn it!) but PUG and 25mpg at 20k/yr... wife did not like that idea, and she's right, the extra gas cost would pay for the insurance cost bump. OTOH I looked up what a hitch costs for this car and it was like $250 at etrailer, that seems high.

Coming back around to this, as the used market is stupid. 50-75% of MSRP for something with upwards of 150k on the clock. Nuts. Or $5-10k for somethin with 3 wheels in the grave.

Was toying with Tiguan, if anything happens to our CRV then I'll want something to replace that. But the mpg penalty would be like a grand a year, every year, once gas hits $4 per gallon. And be more costly in general.

At least the Jetta S still comes with 16" wheels--maybe even with hubcaps?

No hubcaps since about 20. Even base gets styled steel wheels.
Is that why the stock photo for the S trim... isn't? It's some stylized drawing with the wheels in motion. Hiding the fact that's steel?
1691800567742.jpg

Indeed. Across several cars, I've only had 2 clutch related issues: one, the pressure plate lost a spring (rust breakage, disc was fine), the other was a VW DMF failure. Most of them were not taken much past 200k but a couple sure were.

I think VW has easy to replace clutches? I watched on my MkIV. Guy had it out and back in, like 3 hours? maybe 4, don't remember now. He actually made it look easy, no lift involved (he didn't have one). This would have been like 10 years ago but it was $700 total, half for the upgraded clutch, half for the install. Not a bad gamble IMO.

Still on the fence. Was looking at some local Volvo wagons (as I want a wagon darn it!) but PUG and 25mpg at 20k/yr... wife did not like that idea, and she's right, the extra gas cost would pay for the insurance cost bump. OTOH I looked up what a hitch costs for this car and it was like $250 at etrailer, that seems high.
Once you sit in one and learn how the designers think, the Volvos are a great place to spend some time. I’m biased, having had 3 p2 cars. They worked in so many design details…. Holding out for a turbo variant is highly suggested, though the NA can be as trouble free and remarkably simple as an anvil.

Coming back around to this, as the used market is stupid. 50-75% of MSRP for something with upwards of 150k on the clock. Nuts. Or $5-10k for somethin with 3 wheels in the grave.

Was toying with Tiguan, if anything happens to our CRV then I'll want something to replace that. But the mpg penalty would be like a grand a year, every year, once gas hits $4 per gallon. And be more costly in general.

At least the Jetta S still comes with 16" wheels--maybe even with hubcaps?
16" alloys on the S trim. Steel wheels, if you desire them, will have to be bought aftermarket.

MASS D.O.T even have opened breakdown lanes for travel during peak commuting times. A Deadly Practice! I often hear multiple crashes reported every week on WBZ 1030 AM radio at the highway entrance and exit near Dascomb road where there is no merge lane anymore !
Forgot about driving in those--we went down to the Cape yesterday, I elected to not use the breakdown lane coming home. When I was younger (and much more foolish) I looked forward to my trips into MA during rush hour. Sometimes the breakdown lane was the fast lane--and I don't mean 30-40mph, I mean double that.

Honestly it's asinine and I'm glad I don't have to deal with that at all. Hopefully I never change jobs and have to eat my words.

16" alloys on the S trim. Steel wheels, if you desire them, will have to be bought aftermarket.
Weird. It's not that I "hate" alloys, it's just that I don't feel a need for them. Cheapskate. Plus I really should rock snow tires for like 6 months of the year--what is one to do, buy a set of matching alloys?

Also I'm noticing that as the years go by, the more I'd like to not feel every pebble in the road. Tall sidewalls for the win.

Just spotted a used 1.4T with manual, 2020. Price is bad--$20k for 34k on the clock? Does nothing depreciate anymore? but it has a non-digital dashboard, you know, old school needles. But then I'm realizing I've gotten used to bells and whistles, gotten used to having a power seat, hit that button and it moves. Could I go back? *sigh*

My first VW here, great highway cruiser, mpg indicated 48.3 is my best so far in 6k miles. Brakes, Aisin 8AT sometimes a little touchy around town but during stop and go traffic I can shift manually. Seats are like an old school Honda, firm and supportive yet unobtrusive. I got oil changed at 5k and will continue to do so.

IMG_3371.jpeg

Weird. It's not that I "hate" alloys, it's just that I don't feel a need for them. Cheapskate. Plus I really should rock snow tires for like 6 months of the year--what is one to do, buy a set of matching alloys?

Also I'm noticing that as the years go by, the more I'd like to not feel every pebble in the road. Tall sidewalls for the win.

Just spotted a used 1.4T with manual, 2020. Price is bad--$20k for 34k on the clock? Does nothing depreciate anymore? but it has a non-digital dashboard, you know, old school needles. But then I'm realizing I've gotten used to bells and whistles, gotten used to having a power seat, hit that button and it moves. Could I go back? *sigh*

That was the mistake I made. I bought an S so I could pay it off in 6months. I should have bought an SE. The S had a lot on it for the price but it was still missing too much I had gotten used to. Great value, great all around car but I kept it less than 2 years. If it had been an SE I’d still be driving it.

That was the mistake I made. I bought an S so I could pay it off in 6months. I should have bought an SE. The S had a lot on it for the price but it was still missing too much I had gotten used to. Great value, great all around car but I kept it less than 2 years. If it had been an SE I’d still be driving it.
Yep, my first car I went cheap, second car was way more—but I kept it far longer. Easier to justify a repair or three when its a car you like to climb into.

Yeah that's overpriced...I bought my '19 GLI Autobahn in May for $24k and 39K on the odo.

Yeah that's overpriced...I bought my '19 GLI Autobahn in May for $24k and 39K on the odo.
My guess—it’ll sell near that regardless. Seems like most dealers have like 2 VW’s on the lot in NH (some will advertise inventory in off site locations, which means affiliates in MA). Someone will take it, it is a CPO and not close to the insane $48k average new car price.

My guess—it’ll sell near that regardless. Seems like most dealers have like 2 VW’s on the lot in NH (some will advertise inventory in off site locations, which means affiliates in MA). Someone will take it, it is a CPO and not close to the insane $48k average new car price.
I'd be willing to travel...I did a national search and was ready to fly to CA where I found one of my 3 contenders. Ended up buying the one that was 5 hours down the road which was easy but even moreso in this market you can't box yourself in locally.

Looks like one can get a new Corolla LE Hybrid in NH for $25,500. 53 mpg city, 46 highway.
Looks like non hybrid might do 41 highway. Guessing hybrid would more likely net me mid 40’s, but I could see myself getting just under 40 in non hybrid.

The shopping is the hard part. I should have spent my vacation flying somewhere I guess.

Just out of curiosity have any of you heard any issues with the 2023 Jetta 1.5t having head gasket issues?

Back