2022 Ford Maverick

At around the 1:55 mark he shows how you can load 4x8 sheets of plywood/etc. That was my only real concern and it seems to be a fairly well thought out system.

Not bad. With the low price of the truck people might be able afford a few sheets of plywood. I wonder if it would crack drywall sheets. Will Americans go for this little truck instead of lifting their lumber into a shoulder height lifted HD truck?

I really like the keyless fobs. It just stays in my pocket.

I’ve seen a lot of those keypad entry systems with the pads worn. Makes it obvious what the code is.
I once Turo rental a car with this keypad and the guy just text me the code after I went there to take a photo of the car with my license. He doesn't even need to show up. I think that was pretty much the only use for that in the days of key fob.

I think the reason we have all these key fobs in basic cars is because they need encryption in the key to lock the ECU for theft protection anyways, so they might as well just get rid of the key ignition and use wireless completely. It doesn't cost much these days and women love them.

Will Americans go for this little truck instead of lifting their lumber into a shoulder height lifted HD truck?
A few will just because the price is so low on the hybrid. An entire generation just figured out that hiking/camping/etc is fun thanks to covid. They'll never be able to afford homes so may as well have a truck that can carry their camping supplies around!

I knew the Maverick would strike a cord with many people that it wasn't a real truck or this or that etc.

But for what it is and what Ford is targeting they nailed it, and it will sell very well. And the positive of selling well is that other companies will get in on this and increase options, as well as competition. Always a good thing 👍

Most definitely. It looked like three different cars that were put together. The one thing that finishes it was that massive ugly plastic cladding. I remember seeing those get really faded from the sun and elements.
That was an issue with most Pontiacs in the 90's. Lower Body Cladding was their "schtick".
It could do without that. Or the useless two-tier hood. Other than that, is very European "form follows function" and making a VERY usable activity vehicle.
I am non-plussed iver the Mazda 3 with their overtly feminine appearance draped over the look of a size-12 shoe
or a hound dog snout. It doesn't wear well in my book.

Styling is not entirely subjective - as it can be analysed - but it is, certainly, a personal preference.

my20-mazda3.jpg

hpund.jpg

shoe.jpg

A few will just because the price is so low on the hybrid. An entire generation just figured out that hiking/camping/etc is fun thanks to covid. They'll never be able to afford homes so may as well have a truck that can carry their camping supplies around!
I don't see any of there selling for under say 25K USD anytime soon - or ever.
That 21K price was a tease and that's all it is.

I knew the Maverick would strike a cord with many people that it wasn't a real truck or this or that etc.
When the Ridgeline first came out I bashed them as not being trucks. Then I came around to the idea that they were good for other people, just not me.

I have to give Ford credit, with the size, not over the appearance, and price, this is the first FWD I might consider for myself. If the reliability is there, it really might be a good daily driver for me. I'm not going to get rid of my old trucks, but I don't want to wear them out either. I'd rather put the miles on one of these things.

Yeah I have a feeling the Santa Cruz is gonna struggle. Anyone here who'd buy that over the maverick.

When the Ridgeline first came out I bashed them as not being trucks. Then I came around to the idea that they were good for other people, just not me.

I have to give Ford credit, with the size, not over the appearance, and price, this is the first FWD I might consider for myself. If the reliability is there, it really might be a good daily driver for me. I'm not going to get rid of my old trucks, but I don't want to wear them out either. I'd rather put the miles on one of these things.
But, didn't you have a Ranger when the Ridgeline came out?

But, didn't you have a Ranger when the Ridgeline came out?
Yes, I still have that Ranger, my issue wasn't the size, it was the construction and goofy appearance. I have always liked small trucks, but I didn't want anything without a frame or solid rear axle, or Aztek looking, or minivan looking appearance. Plus Ridgelines were/are as expensive as a full size truck.

Now that a new Ranger is realistically $30K+, and the Maverick would likely fit my day to day needs, I am interested. Especially if the hybrid system/CVT are reliable. Plus the styling seems deliberately non-offensive..nothing crazy at all, just a small trucklet vehicle made by Ford.

Now if I could buy a brand new 2011 Ranger for $20k, yes I would still buy that over the Maverick, but my other new/late model used options are like $30k plus.

Last edited:
For some who have to make (small) runs to the dump, haul some mulch, gravel etc on summer weekends, it makes sense. The Ridgeline is a nice vehicle but big enough that buyers will make comparisons with full size domestics which can hurt sales.
Not everyone needs body on frame construction.
I like the keypad and wished I had one on the Tahoe in signature. My key in the little inner pocket of my wetsuit when I went surfing kinda stressed me out! I think there is more functionality to the keypad than first meets the eye.

This makes sense. It's priced right, smaller and gets good fuel economy. I don't understand the Ridgeline, it costs as much as a full size and gets the same fuel economy, but is a lot less capable. I think Honda wanted to get into the pickup truck market but were too cheap to develop a real truck platform, so they took an Odyssey and stuck a shelf on the back.

This makes sense. It's priced right, smaller and gets good fuel economy. I don't understand the Ridgeline, it costs as much as a full size and gets the same fuel economy, but is a lot less capable. I think Honda wanted to get into the pickup truck market but were too cheap to develop a real truck platform, so they took an Odyssey and stuck a shelf on the back.

Honda built knowing its enthusiasts don’t care and it provides the features, interior, name, ride and handling its weekend snowboarders want.
Honda is a company that sees the F150 and views it as pathetic and something not to emulate, they need to be different

Also I don’t really think Honda wanted to enter the pickup market it’s was dragged kicking and screaming

Aren’t they the generation already carrying their camping supplies around in SUVs?

Well said! I like the specs on paper and the packaging now we just need to see if it will deliver

Back