2022-2023 Toyota Tundra Recall - 98,600 vehicles for engine stall/failure issue

I love my 2020 Tundra with the 5.7. I'd be even happier had Toyota not removed the transmission cooler in 2019. It's a very solid truck with a long history of being reliable. It will be interesting to see what Toyota does about the growing number of spun bearings in the 3.4 V6. Some people are saying the 2024s aren't affected but that does not seem to be the case.

Last edited:
Toyota is claiming machining debris but I have also seen some who have been replacing the short blocks claim there may also be an oiling problem at the front main bearing. These spun bearings started showing up pretty early on so it's hard to believe that machining debris was allowed to be an issue for two model years. There are also reports that 2024s were supposed to not be affected but they are still seeing spun bearings.

Doh!

I rather liked my 4.6L, did what I wanted, other than pass a gas station.

Should have stayed NA V8. Took 'em long enough to get one, should have kept it a few more years longer.

Easier to say it's a debris issue than go deeper. Or maybe they don't know...

Like you, @PWMDMD - I am a fan of my Tundra and its 5.7. The engine has been criticized for being thirsty and low on power.

Well, yes, and no. The truck gets about 18 on the highway, not great, but I think it’s more the gearing. The engine makes good power, it’s over 380 HP, but you have to rev it. When you get on it, it sounds great. A true V-8 sound.

I’ve shared this before, but when truck shopping 8 years ago, I drove everything, including Ford, Chevy, GMC and Ram. They all had some great features and all drove well. I chose the Tundra, even with its ancient leaf spring rear (slightly less sophisticated than the Packard’s) six speed transmission (when the others had more) and the “thirsty” V-8, for one reason: reliability.

Made in America ( the San Antonio plant builds the Tundra) mattered to me, but reliability was king.

This debut of the twin turbo 6 is just so disappointing. Debris? Design? I don’t care which it is, if I were to spend the ridiculous* amount of money they are asking for this truck, I would not be happy with this recall, because of what it implies.

* Actual window sticker from the dealer lot while my truck was getting an inspection last month.

IMG_3015.jpeg

Like you, @PWMDMD - I am a fan of my Tundra and its 5.7. The engine has been criticized for being thirsty and low on power.

Well, yes, and no. The truck gets about 18 on the highway, not great, but I think it’s more the gearing. The engine makes good power, it’s over 380 HP, but you have to rev it. When you get on it, it sounds great. A true V-8 sound.

I’ve shared this before, but when truck shopping 8 years ago, I drove everything, including Ford, Chevy, GMC and Ram. They all had some great features and all drove well. I chose the Tundra, even with its ancient leaf spring rear (slightly less sophisticated than the Packard’s) six speed transmission (when the others had more) and the “thirsty” V-8, for one reason: reliability.

Made in America ( the San Antonio plant builds the Tundra) mattered to me, but reliability was king.

This debut of the twin turbo 6 is just so disappointing. Debris? Design? I don’t care which it is, if I were to spend the ridiculous* amount of money they are asking for this truck, I would not be happy with this recall, because of what it implies.

* Actual window sticker from the dealer lot while my truck was getting an inspection last month.

View attachment 222256
As I've often said, my goal is to drive this Tundra until it's rusting out beneath me. After that, as much as I love a truck, I can not imagine spending $80,000 for a pickup, regardless of make, features, MPG, or reliability. If for some reason I did spend $80K, I too would be pretty angry it needed a new short block.

What I haven't seen, and these cases may very well exist and I'm just in the dark, are spun bearings on the Japanese-made 3.4s going into the LS, LX, GX, Land Cruisers (I think these are all made in Japan), which would be consistent with a US manufacturing defect and not a design defect like poor oiling at the main bearing. Interested to see how all this plays out and I hope there's some reasonable remedy for current owners.

Toyota is claiming machining debris but I have also seen some who have been replacing the short blocks claim there may also be an oiling problem at the front main bearing. These spun bearings started showing up pretty early on so it's hard to believe that machining debris was allowed to be an issue for two model years. There are also reports that 2024s were supposed to not be affected but they are still seeing spun bearings.
Does that mean too much chain tension at the front of the crank? If so I don't know how that can be easily corrected.

Does that mean too much chain tension at the front of the crank? If so I don't know how that can be easily corrected.
The oiling at the front main bearing is just speculation at this point. The only claim I've seen from Toyota has been debris from manufacturing.

The lead engineer Mike Sweers has been the lead engineer for a long time, I believe at least from gen 2 on, possible with gen 1 too.
Frame rusting issues, Cam tower leaks, broken valve springs, undersized brakes on the gen 1, valve body issues, Valves not machined properly causing oil consumption.

You don't see this as much with the Toyotas that have a Japanese lead engineer and designed and assembled in Japan.

Frame rusting issues, Cam tower leaks, broken valve springs, undersized brakes on the gen 1, valve body issues, Valves not machined properly causing oil consumption.

You don't see this as much with the Toyotas that have a Japanese lead engineer and designed and assembled in Japan.
To be fair, that was all from two decades ago, and BTW, I'm not a fan of Mike Sweers and my transmission temps running 230F unloaded at 75mph on the highway because he decided to remove the transmission cooler.

To be fair, that was all from two decades ago, and BTW, I'm not a fan of Mike Sweers and my transmission temps running 230F unloaded at 75mph on the highway because he decided to remove the transmission cooler.
So there are no cooler lines to/from the radiator?

Back