2021 Ranger Tremor Off-Road Package

Last edited:
1617803269511.jpg

The Ranger is likely quicker, and does have better approach angles and ground clearance. It's no slouch and can rival the ZR2 in many ways.

These, like Raptors, will look very good with that little bit of mud on them from driving down a dirt road after a rainstorm on purpose. Also you can just skip ever washing it because it's meant to be dirty on the outside.

Very low maintenance vehicle. I like it.

Rival ? Is that code for hold my beer and watch this …?
The ZR2 has the better shocks/front locker.
Tremor has better clearance, departure angle, higher towing and payload and arguably powertrain. The trail management system is not a true locker, but does work rather well for what it is.

"What really matters here is those specs whoop the Colorado ZR2 up and down the trail. The Chevy has 8.9 inches of ground clearance and approach, breakover, and departure angles of 25.3 degrees, 23.5 degrees, and 23.5 degrees. On the other hand, the ZR2 comes with front and rear axle lockers—the Ranger Tremor only gets a rear locker—and incredible Multimatic DSSV shocks, so we're not going to make a call on which is the better off-road truck until we do a proper comparison."

That Ranger would have better luck with a Taco than a ZR2 …
Towing ? I’d listen to the RV guys instead of Ford … One of the problems with tow ratings is you can drive it up with axle gearing, stiff springs, etc - testosterone rich shoppers go for it and after the first near miss they think again.
I don’t want to share road with anyone willing to put that much weight on/behind a Ranger. Already saw a Gladiator jack knifed on a curve with a twin axle RV. Boats or low CG … but many of them don’t have brakes until they too are heavy enough.
The other problem with front approach angles is cooling is impacted … the standard Duramax has a higher tow rating than a ZR2, ie DMax Canyon can supposedly tow 7700 … but I’ll credit the engineers who down grade that on a jacked up small truck. I would not plan any serious towing with toy trucks.

Towing ? I’d listen to the RV guys instead of Ford … One of the problems with tow ratings is you can drive it up with axle gearing, stiff springs, etc - testosterone rich shoppers go for it and after the first near miss they think again.
I don’t want to share road with anyone willing to put that much weight on/behind a Ranger. Already saw a Gladiator jack knifed on a curve with a twin axle RV. Boats or low CG … but many of them don’t have brakes until they too are heavy enough.
The other problem with front approach angles is cooling is impacted … the standard Duramax has a higher tow rating than a ZR2, ie DMax Canyon can supposedly tow 7700 … but I’ll credit the engineers who down grade that on a jacked up small truck. I would not plan any serious towing with toy trucks.
Good points.

Agree, I didn't get the ZR2 to tow...and anybody who does needs to think twice IMHO. She might tow my fishing boat here and there, but nothing even near the tow rating. That is what the Silverado is for.

I look forward to a real trail comparison between the two, and while the Ford may have better angles, my money would be on the ZR2 when the going gets tough.

Some ZR2's have had issues with side airbags deploying for no apparent reason. Has that issue been resolved? I haven't followed along, so I have no idea if GM addressed it.

Some ZR2's have had issues with side airbags deploying for no apparent reason. Has that issue been resolved? I haven't followed along, so I have no idea if GM addressed it.
I have not heard of that issue.

I find it odd that a ZR2 would have the issue, and not a general Colorado issue...I can't see how the hardware involved would be different.

I would hope they fixed that LOL.

It was fixed with a software update a few years ago.

Andre said the Tremor pushed the Ranger to the #1 spot in mid size segment for him. :unsure:

Back