2021 Kia K5 GT oil filter recommendations

Well, when you find it change it every time you change the oil. Only you lot over there don't change oil filters every service and you can get them for the cheapest prices in the world.

They have started putting the cartridges (and several different part numbers) under the vehicle. Kind of defeats one of the nice things about a cartridge filter IMO.
What is weird is my Santa Fe has the 3.3 Lambda with a cartridge on top, the same engine in a 2019 Sorento or Sedona, but those have the cartridge filter on the underside.
Atleast it looks like the smartstream engines have a drain plug on the filter housing

But if you look how that drain plug works, it will probably be a while before we see aftermarket cartridges since the drain plug locks into the filter endcap.

They have started putting the cartridges (and several different part numbers) under the vehicle. Kind of defeats one of the nice things about a cartridge filter IMO......
Agreed. Cartridge on engine top is a well adapted design imo. Works well with extractors too if one desires no touch drain plug. I know the H/K 3.8L and earlier 3.3L V6 had housing on top. Not a fan of cartridge on bottom set up.

So it appears the 2.5L Turbo uses a 'cartridge' filter? Not "canister" (spin on) as posted earlier. Reason I asked in previous post is some confuse canister with cartridge. Canister being the same as spin on.

honestly just go ahead and use the fram oil filter and id personally run it to 2 intervals. i believe yours is the ch11934 from a quick search. if you're gonna give that oil that short of an interval you're not letting the oil have a whole lot of time to circulate the contaminants the filter couldn't catch. But at what 95% efficiency at 20 microns its not that bad filter at all. motorcraft is 80% at 20 microns i believe and the engines that run them live long lives.

Last edited:
honestly just go ahead and use the fram oil filter and id personally run it to 2 intervals. i believe yours is the ch11934 from a quick search. if you're gonna give that oil that short of an interval you're not letting the oil have a whole lot of time to circulate the contaminants the filter couldn't catch. But at what 95% efficiency at 20 microns its not that bad filter at all. motorcraft is 80% at 20 microns i believe and the engines that run them live long lives.
It is not, it's a completely new cartridge filter specific to the Smartstream engines, the filter housing has a drain plug on it, and the drain plug locks into a groove molded into the bottom of the filter end cap, the only filter currently available is the hyudai/kia OEM.

It is not, it's a completely new cartridge filter specific to the Smartstream engines, the filter housing has a drain plug on it, and the drain plug locks into a groove molded into the bottom of the filter end cap, the only filter currently available is the hyudai/kia OEM.
oh that reminds me of the buick encore filter change i did on a friends car with it having two different cartridge types. yeah i guess this just makes me dislike cartridge filters even more. then it that case might as well buy the OEM until more of them come out. OEM cant hurt either. always hated how pricy cartridge filters are.

Kia part number is 263502M000, straight out of their parts catalog. Local Kia dealer has 40 of them in stock. Definitely a cartridge underneath the engine by the picture.

Doesn’t the owners manual show this? I suspect it’s hidden by the underbody splash shield
Nope, it doesn't. Only the service manual at the dealer shows that. I actually had my service advisor show me.

Also, there are no aftermarket oil filters for the 2.5/2.5T Smartstream engine.

Agreed. Cartridge on engine top is a well adapted design imo. Works well with extractors too if one desires no touch drain plug. I know the H/K 3.8L and earlier 3.3L V6 had housing on top. Not a fan of cartridge on bottom set up.

So it appears the 2.5L Turbo uses a 'cartridge' filter? Not "canister" (spin on) as posted earlier. Reason I asked in previous post is some confuse canister with cartridge. Canister being the same as spin on.
It is a cartridge filter that locks into its canister that is underneath the engine

If it is anything like the GT-Line, there is a fiber cover under the car that has to be removed (check YouTube for the video). The filter is a cartridge and the filter housing and cap is plastic--read this as don't over tighten.

I am going to use the OEM filter since there is a drain plug in the filter cap that has to be serviced during the filter change.

I have the same 2.5T GDi engine in my 2021 Hyundai Sonata N Line. Recent oil change I installed a Service Kit-Oil Filter PN 26350 2S000 which includes a cannister drain plug, cannister gasket, oil pan drain plug gasket and a oil filter.

That's the same filter as our 2020 Sonata SE 2.5 N/A uses. I just bought 12 filters for $112 shipped. They're KIA filters, but they're the same part number. I'd say that's a hell of a deal 😁

If it is anything like the GT-Line, there is a fiber cover under the car that has to be removed (check YouTube for the video). The filter is a cartridge and the filter housing and cap is plastic--read this as don't over tighten.

I am going to use the OEM filter since there is a drain plug in the filter cap that has to be serviced during the filter change.
To remove the cannister drain plug you'll need an 8mm Allen socket and the torque is 4+1 Nm (finger tight). Cannister cap removal/install requires a 27mm 6 point socket torqued to 25+5 Nm. These torque numbers are marked on the drain plug and the cannister cap.

It is a cartridge filter that locks into its canister that is underneath the engine
Yes, I referenced post number #17 here stating it to be a "canister filter". Thus the query to clarify the filter type. Cartridge filters being installed inside a 'housing' on the engine. It will likely take the aftermarket some time to catch up with a new engine cartridge application.

Having some experience with 3.8L and 3.3L H/K engines, I wonder if the move to cartridge on engine bottom is to help reduce start up rattle of cartridge on top design.

Last edited:
Back