Oil filter crazy

This guy ran a Purolator Boss filter (rated for 15K miles) for 3, 6K OCI without changing filter, so 18K on filter total without changing it, and sent oil to Blackstone for UOA every OCI--each UOA showed 0.2% insoluble which demonstrated the filter was still doing its job.
Compared to what?

Insolubles isn't a good way to monitor filter efficiency. I've looked at Insolubles % vs PC data on UOAs, and there is no good correlation. An ISO particle count would be better.
Blackstone disagrees.
The results for Aluminum, Iron, Copper were also ~same for each interval.
1665683222625.jpg

Each previous UOA @ 6K intervals
No I meant what does that number mean? Compared to a different filter or no filter. According to the Blackstone comments it only means the filter did not fail or clog, or as you say “doing its job”. It doesn’t say anything more.

But that may be all you’re intending to say after 18,000 miles. I just wondered what are some numbers that could be used for comparison. Insolubles is a bit non-specific as ZeeOSix noted.

Last edited:
Blackstone disagrees.
The results for Aluminum, Iron, Copper were also ~same for each interval.
1665689518162.png
There are plenty of Blackstone UOAs on this chat board that show both "Insolubles %" and ISO Particle Count data on the same UOA, and if you look for a correlation between those two data sets, there is zero correlation. So again, "Insolubles %" is not a good method to determine the filtering performance of an oil filter. And what exactly constitutes the point when a filter is "used up"? You would have to have continuous monitoring of the oil cleanliness coming out of the filter and the delta-p across the filter to determine that.

Last edited:
Am I crazy or on the right track to go 500k miles on my engines?
Most vehicles that achieve high miles are those that are serviced regularly and are driven many miles per year. Once an engine reaches a stabilized operating temperature the wear rate drops to minimal as compared to the warm up cycle wear. Will your vehicle ever see 500,000 miles? What make of vehicle is it. A vehicle that drives 200 miles per day will have its engine last longer miles than one that drives one mile to the mall and sits all day then drives a mile home .

Most vehicles that achieve high miles are those that are serviced regularly and are driven many miles per year. Once an engine reaches a stabilized operating temperature the wear rate drops to minimal as compared to the warm up cycle wear. Will your vehicle ever see 500,000 miles? What make of vehicle is it. A vehicle that drives 200 miles per day will have its engine last longer miles than one that drives one mile to the mall and sits all day then drives a mile home .

Throw in the possibility of an accident too. Nothing is guaranteed.

I'm never going to take care of my vehicles any more ... they could be totaled out tomorrow. I'm not going to take care of anything anymore ... WW3 could start next week. 😄

With the massive wind/dust storms and extreme weather we encounter here in Alaska, I'm running my remaining wire-backed Fram Ultra filters two to three OCI's. They can handle it as my OCI's are rather short -- 2500 to 3500 miles. There's nothing wrong with that. I also run either Wix or ACDelco heavy duty air filters -- quality stuff.

Glacial silt picked up and blown down the Matanuska and Knik glaciers and river valleys is deposited in my area at the head end of the Knik Arm of Cook Inlet. It's extreme here in so many ways. Hurricanes have nothing on the windstorms we see every year ... hurricane force winds that last for DAYS, not hours like a lower-48 hurricane. Funny thing is these wind storms typically happen down around 0 degrees F. High pressure from interior Alaska is sucked down the mountain valleys and is deposited into a low pressure system coming up into the Gulf of Alaska and Cook Inlet. The low pressure systems are remnants of earlier SE Asia and Japanese storms.

We're a hardy bunch here.

Last edited:
It's a choice and balancing act... you can pick an oil that may last 20k but bc of your filter choice requires a new filter at 5k and a top up; you may also choose a filter that can go 20k+ but with an oil that can only survive 5k in your engine and driving habits. The Holy Grail is finding the oil and filter that can cover your situation's max OCI and FCI and making those lines intersect; making your protection maxed out while maintaining the longest times between service intervals. This is the way to make your cost per mile the absolute lowest while properly maintaining your vehicle.

As of today, with my limited knowledge, seems like most of my "sweet spots" would require HPL oils, Fram XG filters, and a 15-20k service interval. But that's just my vehicles & driving habits; YMMV along with your gut/wallet checks.
Subie, didn't you used to use Amsoil ?

^^^ Yeah, not all of it ... and no air filter is perfect. Anything that does get through, and also the debris being generated inside the engine while it's running can only be caught (or not) by the oil filter. Better oil filtration (and/or doing shorter OCIs) results in cleaner oil in the sump and less wear. Still waiting for the study that shows otherwise.
Do shorter oci's really result in less wear? We know that there are two sides to that coin.

Do shorter oci's really result in less wear? We know that there are two sides to that coin.
Shorter OCIs get rid of debris in the oil that can't be removed by an inefficient oil filter, and helps keep the viscosity from reducing much from any shearing and/or fuel dilution. Shorter OCIs are a good thing on DI engines that have bad fuel dilution.

Apparently, longer OCIs allow a better build-up of the AF/AW tribofilm on parts. Unknown which factors are the strongest, and it may vary dependant on use conditions, length of OCI, oil formulation, etc. But the bottom line is using a high efficiency oil filter can help keep the oil cleaner during longer OCIs. Less wear occurs with cleaner oil, and there's no study that says otherwise.

Yeah but I was just pointing to the shorter OCI factor not the oil filter efficiency. We have better oil filters now (Fram Ultra) which last longer. We're going with longer air filter intervals, and it seems with good reason. Yet with the great engine oils we have we waste them by changing it too soon. I know with GDI we need to be a bit more conservative but no need to be overly cautious. You mentioned shorter oci's in parenthesis but it seemed like a blanket statement with no mention of gdi I believe.

Yeah but I was just pointing to the shorter OCI factor not the oil filter efficiency.
There's basically two ways to remove debris from the sump: 1) Change the oil, 2) Filter the oil better. The longer the OCI, the more important a higher efficiency filter becomes. For super long OCIs, like on a big diesel engine, a very efficient bypass filtering system will be used to control oil cleanliness which allows such long OCIs.

We have better oil filters now (Fram Ultra) which last longer. We're going with longer air filter intervals, and it seems with good reason. Yet with the great engine oils we have we waste them by changing it too soon. I know with GDI we need to be a bit more conservative but no need to be overly cautious. You mentioned shorter oci's in parenthesis but it seemed like a blanket statement with no mention of gdi I believe.
It was a blanket statement in that post, but mentioned that DI engines with bad fuel dilution will benifit from shorter OCIs in a following post since we're drilling down on the discussion, and going beyond filtration and getting into the oil.

Last edited:
There's basically two ways to remove debris from the sump: 1) Change the oil, 2) Filter the oil better. The longer the OCI, the more important a higher efficiency filter becomes. For super long OCIs, like on a big diesel engine, a very efficient bypass filtering system will be used to control oil cleanliness which allows such long OCIs.

It was a blanket statement in that post, but mentioned that DI engines with bad fuel dilution will benifit from shorter OCIs in a following post since we're drilling down on the discussion, and going beyond filtration and getting into the oil.
Sure if we include all the usual suspects it's a no brainer. If I'm going to the expense of using the best oil and filters then I will do 7.5-10k miles, almost without thinking twice, not 3-5k. In general what is your definition of a short oci?

Sure if we include all the usual suspects it's a no brainer. If I'm going to the expense of using the best oil and filters then I will do 7.5-10k miles, almost without thinking twice, not 3-5k.
Of course, using the "best oil and filter" could allow for a longer OCI, never eluded otherwise. But obviously, vehicle use conditions are also a factor. Short drive cycles in cold weather with a DI engine vs long extended highway drives in warmer weather is going to factor into the OCI.

In general what is your definition of a short oci?
In general, given "normal use conditions", I'd say 3-5K miles is a short OCI, 7.5K is nominal and 10-12K is a long OCI. In ideal non-server very long drive cycle use conditions (mostly highway use) in warm (not super hot) weather and non-dusty environment using premium oil and filter, a 15K OCI could be doable.

Of course everyone will have their own definition of a "short, nominal and long OCI", hopefully somewhat based on the vehicle useage and the products they use. And since it's their vehicle then they have the perogative to create the definition that makes them comfortable, just like most decisions people make in life, regardless if it makes sense or not.

Last edited:
When you get a chance, check out the Donaldson "Total Filtration" study (SAE 952557).

The term "far more important" is somewhat undefined and subjective, but I would agree that this study (and some others) seems to confirm that air filtration is probably more important than lube filter selection. Yes - all filters matter. But air filtration is paramount to reducing wear. Perhaps the most important thing to understand from the study that using a poor quality air filter (or ill-fitting air filter) will greatly increase wear. Also, overly-frequent air filter changes will "double" wear rates. I'm a BIG fan a leaving an air filter in service as long as practical; I use air intake vacuum gauges rather than guessing when to change an air filter.
I’m in agreement with dnewton3 here...overly frequent air filter changes can do more harm than good. I changed the OE air filter on my 2016 Escape using a Motorcraft AF at 46k and it looked fine...and a UOA showed great results. I recently did another UOA at 60k and it looked fine. If I had gone by Fram’s (or most other AF manufacturers) recommended 10k change interval I would have increased the chances of poor fit, misalignment of housing causing leaks etc...4 times. I feel that in a well designed air intake system it’s possible to go pretty far on an air filter especially if verified by UOA...

Okay. So I've gone crazy reading about oil filters. My conclusion is that as long as I have a filter on my car im doing good. LoL.

In all seiousness Im running synthetic oil for 7500 mi. OCI. My conclusion for the best filters is the fram line....with the Ultra as best and the extra guard as a few dollar saver. Also the regular wix filter instead of the XP because the regular wix is more efficient at the 20 (23) micrometer filtering or whatever it is called. The fram Extra guard says good upto 10k miles with a 95% efficiency at 20 mic. I thought that was pretty good for the orange can. Based on that im just guessing that the standard wix can handle 7500 mile OCI? Thoughts?

Anyways. Ill probably just stick with the fram ultra and still change it at every OCI even though I read about people running 2 OCI intervals.

Am I crazy or on the right track to go 500k miles on my engines?
What ever floats your boat. Your not extending your ocis and will control contamination by dumping it out with the oil. $3 supertech would probably serve you as well as anything else.

Back