2021 Kia K5 1.6L Turbo Amsoil SS 5w30 UOA

JWB

Wanted to see how Amsoil SS 5W30 did in my hard driving 1.6L Turbo in Tampa Summer. Moved here 7 months ago. 4100 miles of traffic, heat and hard Turbo use. Seem to be better than the recommended 0W20. I wanted a higher HTHS. Will go the KIA recommended 6k.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221102-171256_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20221102-171256_Yahoo Mail.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 171
Looks great. I'd stick with the 30 grade... might want to even try a euro 30 grade once for comparison. No need for 20 grade!

What fuel do you typically run?

Not a bad idea but I an Amsoil fan.
I also use AMSOIL in our RAM 1500 5.7 HEMI, the exact SS 5W-30 you're running. Looking at the cSt @ 100C it seems like it water down to a 5W-20, most likely due to fuel dilution. AMSOIL SS 0W-40 would also be a good choice. However, QS Euro 5W-40 is excellent stuff for a T-GDI engine. If it was a larger displacement, I would have said Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 or 5W-40. Anyway, that QS Euro 5W-40 is basically a thick 5W-30, so it will give you some room for fuel dilution.

I also use AMSOIL in our RAM 1500 5.7 HEMI, the exact SS 5W-30 you're running. Looking at the cSt @ 100C it seems like it water down to a 5W-20, most likely due to fuel dilution. AMSOIL SS 0W-40 would also be a good choice. However, QS Euro 5W-40 is excellent stuff for a T-GDI engine. If it was a larger displacement, I would have said Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 or 5W-40. Anyway, that QS Euro 5W-40 is basically a thick 5W-30, so it will give you some room for fuel dilution.
Fuel didn't seem to an issue. I ran her hard so going to run same for 6k and see what she brings back. If still thin will move to Amsoil 40w. I am an Amsoil guy (brother is a tribologist) so I am good with their base oil and top additives.

You're welcome to spend the money on ss just to go 4100 miles on it is a bit of a waste unless you lied about living in Tampa FL and instead live in houston texas so i can go pick up your certified pre darkened spill to use it for my next fill that is.

But other than that if I'm going to 5k intervals in that engine which I too would do I'd just use Quaker state euro. lspi friendly formula since it's designed for these engines.

You're welcome to spend the money on ss just to go 4100 miles on it is a bit of a waste unless you lied about living in Tampa FL and instead live in houston texas so i can go pick up your certified pre darkened spill to use it for my next fill that is.

But other than that if I'm going to 5k intervals in that engine which I too would do I'd just use Quaker state euro. lspi friendly formula since it's designed for these engines.
I don't waste my money?

Last edited:
Need to keep those injectors clean... don't forget the FI cleaner once or twice a year. Puregas is not toptier and pretty sure nothing from the wawa is.

Good to stay away from regular with a turbo. It'll help prevent plugs from shattering and destroying exhaust valves. I'd recommend premium, at least during the summer heat wave for a few weeks(july/august).

I am ok with any toptier E10 fuel. I run premium with turbos and midgrade with the nonturbos. We have plenty of marine gas stations around here. Even walmart sells 93 octane ethanol free pure gas too. I'll stick with toptier e10. Just didn't see any benefit from pure gas. Would rather put the money toward octane.

Amsoil signature is great stuff as your UOA shows. Your visc is fine. Dropping a tad into the 20 grade zone isn't much of an issue. You could use 1 quart of a 40 grade and fill the rest with 30 and see how it holds out. I wasn't too crazy about the overly thick oil churning in my engine. 5w30 is already an upgrade to the recommended 0w20.

Blackstone sometimes leaves much to be desired. Their fuel measurement is a joke. 9.3cst is the cutoff for a 30 grade. Amsoil tends to be stout. So, some shearing..sure.. but most likely some fuel cutting that oil below 9.3cst! Not an issue and why using the 30 grade is smart over the recommended 20 grade. The european is a little thicker without going overboard to the full sump of a 5w40(yet).

I don't know if the 1.6t had the dual injectors that the 2.5T got. If not, consider an turbo/intakevalve spray cleaner as preventive maintenance, every year or 2nd oil change intervals, like the bottle of quality FI cleaner if sticking with pathetic EPA detergent levels in non toptier fuel.

Nice report! Your idea for a 6K run is good, I think you'll be fine. Once you have that report you can establish a UOA going forward if you continue to use the product.

I don't waste my money? I make 250k a year so what I do shouldn't bother you plus my 5k is probably your $100. Any issues still? Why do uou hate so much what other do? Do you waste money on booze or 91 octane? Wife on Avon?
Geez why'd you take it so seriously. And i was joking and thought you picked up on that with the last part. But objectively speaking 4-6k on SS is a bit wasteful no matter who you ask. And if you were actually making 250k why drive a k5. Get an amg.

Geez why'd you take it so seriously. And i was joking and thought you picked up on that with the last part. But objectively speaking 4-6k on SS is a bit wasteful no matter who you ask. And if you were actually making 250k why drive a k5. Get an amg.
The ones that say I make this and that are the ones that dont

I have a K5 as my father in law has Dementhia and lost license. Gave it to us. I have a 2020 Tundra that is now a weekend driver and K5 Min to Fri to work. All good. Both are paid off:)

The ones that say I make this and that are the ones that dont
You would be wrong this time. But either way doesn't matter. Amsoil SS.is my choice Always has been and always will be. Doesn't hurt my bank and I sleep well. 2

UOAs are not a wear assessment tool, and certainly not when flopping brands and chemistries back to back. What do you posit the OP would see that’s materially different All
UOAs are not a wear assessment tool, and certainly not when flopping brands and chemistries back to back. What do you posit the OP would see that’s materially different?
All my changes will be Amsoil SS 5W30. So I will have a great baseline of my engine, my driving style using my oil.

Give their SS 0W30 a try. Ran that oil almost 10K in my 15 Tacoma. Running the same oil now with a 16 oz of lubegard biotech…don’t mock me, lol. I plan on going back to six month charges with their XL 5W30 and biotech.

My wife’s Pilot is getting the same XL but 0W20 and Biotech. Following the olm.

Back